Thread: Tips for Judging Sheep

Default Tips for Judging Sheep

My son and i are looking to hunt Dallsheep for the first time.I got a couple of books and vidios that we've watched.I see some of the sheep the guys take and they dont all seem legal to me and they dont explain it to much on film.
    Any tips for us?.Were not looking for anyones honey holes,unless you want to PM me,but we really do want to learn from the experts on how to judge better....

Judging a legal ram can be easy or very difficult depending on what angle your looking at them. Some rules of thumb.

1. Perfect level view of the ram is the best but not always practical. Look for the 360* first, if it is, then at least you know you have a legal ram. Next at the bottom of the circle you want that as close to level with the bottom of the chin. 360* and bottom level with the chin is a very nice ram.

2. Look between the bases, you want to see a very small strip of hair between them, this illustrates, large bases. The smaller the strip the bigger the bases are the better the ram is.

3. If those don't work, look for both side to be broomed, are they? If so, it is legal.

4. It is very hard sometimes to make sure you have that full 360* depending on what angle your looking at, take your time, study the ram, not only will this make sure it's legal but allow you to understand them, get to know them and enjoy the experience.

5. Last but not recommended, count the rings. 8 or more and it's legal, but this method is VERY, VERY DIFFECULT with out great optics and knowledge.

Good luck and get into shape!

Curt

Fullcry,
    Are you judging sole legality, or trophy quality?

Per legality: there's lots of good info here, check the archives. Read all you can and search and read some more.

Frank

If the rams horns drop below their lower jaw and the tips turn out, shoot.

we watched one for nine hours before we determined he was legal, 4 hours one night, he changed drainages, two days later we found him and watched him again, finally killed him. he was legal. But the angles we were looking at him from had be skeptical for a long time, take your time, better to let him walk than to write checks for a fine.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Video...

Not that I put "too" much stock in hunting videos....but I thought the movie Black Shale, White Sheep was pretty good and they talked a lot about trophy quality and legal rams. I think they have it at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Default Helpful thread

This year I had two rams come within 50 yards of camp. I sat there and just couldn't quite make a legal ram out of either. If you've been in Sportsmans in Wasilla the dall ram in the front looks exactly like those two did. Didn't shoot. Dad already had 1 and didn't want a fine.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default up or down

if your looking up at them they appear more full curl and if you looking down upon them they appear less full curl......judging age is very difficult and not recommended at all in any situation....unless you can CLEARLY see 8 annuli...shoot for curl or broomed and you'll be safe....also body size and posture can determine age and rank....ussually the older rams will be more dominate...if you find a band of rams(four or more) where a younger(sub-legal) ram is dominate and very aggressive.....look around really hard in every little crag and nook and cranny cuz he either just kicked the old boy out of the band or down the mountain
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"