Thread: Whittier day hunt report

Default Whittier day hunt report

Got out for about 5 hours in Whittier today- Weather is amazing in Anchorage yet seemingly went cloudly in Whittier (as always). We glassed the south slope facing beaches from a couple miles out of Whittier all the way to Shotgun cove, in and around it. Didn't see any bears. Landed in Shotgun cove- no tracks in the snow, However greenery was starting to come up so I'm imagining that they will be out very very soon. There was still some 10'+ piles of snow in the hills with some easily pushing 20-30 ft further back.

Next time I'm gonna try to go out farther to Esther Island, I heard theres alot more bears there from some locals.

The trip was still nice, flat flat seas, saw multiple sea otters, 2 sea lions, found some cool shells and an Eagle skull- (anyone know if its legal to keep this or If I have to turn it into F and G ?

Anyone else get out this weekend/howd ya do?

-Nick

I believe it is illegal to possess any parts whats so ever of an Eagle. They are protected...

Steve

Default keep it

Go to the Fish and Wildlife (Federal) Office and apply for a possession permit for the Eagle skull. It is legal to keep endangered/protected animal parts if you go through the proper channels.

Default I tried to find guidance....

Not too easy wading thru the various rules....so as already suggested, I'd call the AK-USFWS office for clarification.

Go to the FWS web-site and select Alaska (region 7) for phone numbers.

http://alaska.fws.gov/

Tony

thanks for taking the time to look up that info

Default Be careful

There are at least three federal laws (Eagle Protection Act, Endangered Species Act, Migratory Bird Treaty Act) that could make possession of that eagle skull a serious legal problem. There are some narrow exceptions such as religious use by certain Indian tribes and natives, but most of us don't qualify. Generally avoid possessing any parts of bird species that do not have a declared hunting season, and be particularly careful about raptor parts. Someone suggested a permit process. I'm not aware of such a permit available to the general public, but it's worth checking out. If you don't get a clear answer from USF&W, do an online search of the US code and scan the listed laws before you keep it. You might decide it should go back to the beach.

Default Any Luck?

Fishwhacker,

Did you make it back out for bears yet? I'm looking forward to seeing the photo of your first bear!

Smile 5 days out last week

Spent 5 days out Culross Island & Esther glassed and walked up as high as we could go, little sign, didn't see a single bear either place. Know some where out Skunk cabbage was biten off, found 2 den's got Woofed at once. (bad idea with head in den). Great Boat trip terrible bear hunt.

Sorry have been in Kodiak for the past week, gonna be out this saturday and I'll let everyone know how it goes

Good luck, they are out there. I got my first one last Saturday. If you get one, don't do a hack job on the skinning like I did though!

Bah.... skinning will be interesing to say the least.... I feel confident on everything but the head, which might not be there afterwards

Fish - If you're coming right home, leave the skull unskinned. I did this with my first few sheep, since I didn't know what I was doing and my brother is a taxidermist. If you get it cool and home quickly, leaving it for someone else might be the best option.

Yeah, the head and the paws are the most tedious. Unless you've done it before or watched someone, it might be best to have someone assist and show you how to do it. The main keys to skinning heads and paws are patience and a small, sharp knife.

Maybe try to get ahold of someone who lives somewhat close to you and arrange it so you call as soon as you get in and they can come over and help walk you through it.

Two things keepin' me from volunteering myself: I live out in the Valley. And I'll be out of town this weekend.

Wow talk about a brain fart.

Gonna have my step dads lifelong friend from Kodiak which guides for brown bears and deer with us

Haha guess I dont gotta worry about skinning gonna learn from an expert!

Yay, what a relief, thanks for the advice anyways guys its all appreciated

Now I just gotta get the bear

-Nick