Thread: Halibut in Late July?

Default Halibut in Late July?

What would be the best choice for taking a halibut trip in late July: Homer, Deep Creek, Seward, Whittier? Also, how likely is it to catch lingcod on any of these trips?

Default July

I like deep creek

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default id opt for whittier

if you are lookign for a combo halibut and ling trip. and the scenery cant be beat.

HOMER IS THE SPOT FOR THE VIEW AND LINGCOD...... I LIVE FOR LINGS...WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM CHECK OUT THE PICS..HAVE A GREAT TRIP.....

Three replies with three different answers; does that mean they are all good at this time? I would love to catch some nice fish, see some beautiful scenery and maybe some wildlife. I don't usually have any problems with seasickness so that is not really a factor. Are there any other factors I should consider? Thanks for your help.

My pick is generally Seward...you do get great scenery and lots of wildlife and ling cod are common on a straight halibut charter in most areas. Whittier is a longer boat ride, as to get to good fishing they will head out to Montague anyway (same as Seward, but longer ride on the water). Deep Creek/Anchor Point usually aren't fishing the rocky type areas that hold ling cod; and Homer could go either way depending on where the charter fishes. If you really want lings, choose a ling/halibut combo out of Seward or Homer and you'll probably get both. If you pick a straight halibut trip, use a jig over bait, and you'll up your odds for ling cod...if it's a combo, they'll have you using jigs anyway when it comes to the ling cod part.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Valdez is the place to fish if your looking for monster Lings and big Halibut.

Default seward

it has been our experience that the later in july it gets the worst the halibut fishing in seward gets. But those silvers whoa....but we are out by rugged Island to so if you got a charter Im sure things would be different.

Seward will get you those fattie lings and Silvers. Halibut I don't know. homer does PHENOMENAL all year for Halibut but there isn't diddly squat for lings or rockfish. whittier is really not worth it, I mean there isnt **** there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Ya if you go to whittier they are going to take you to the same place they do in seward it will just take longer: Montague island and area around there. So i'd go seward. There will be butts and some fat lingcod
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Homer Has Some Of The Best Lingcod, Yellow Eye Fishing Around Two World Records In The Last Two Years.....

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default how far out of homer

do you have to go to start getting into good ling and yelloweye fishing? looks like an 82 pounder was caught out of homer about 80 miles south of deep creek. orion charters is boasting a 72 pounder caught a few years back. seward is going to run you out between 60 to 90 miles out of town most likely and whittier is going to run you out about 80 to 100 miles. valdez is also going to run you out to montegue which is approx 70 to 90 miles. so i guess it depends on how far you want to drive and pay for your charter, reputation of the charter, and vacancies available. i belive you are more opt to not get weathered out in valdez and whittier versus the other two options.

30 To Fifty Miles, Last Year We Had Some Of The Biggest Lingcod And Yellow Eye That Game And Fish Have Seen In A Long Time.. In '' O6'' It Was A 77.9 That Was The World Record....

Wow, those are some pretty long runs. I am used to going that far in the Gulf of Mexico, but I figured the fishing grounds would be closer in Alaska. How long of a trip is that? In the GOM on a charter boat, that is a long ride. On a private boat, it can be shorter but sometimes brutal; there is no protected water here.

I love Homer so that would be my first choice.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hands down, Homer.
    Tennessee

it all depends on what you consider a big ling... i like to fish in places that hardly get fished..... we had many days last year that all we caught were giants .... i am hoping to get one of my kid clients a world record....its fun watching other people catch them...there are closer places to go but the size is much smaller....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM