Thread: black bear questions

Default black bear questions

i am new at bear hunting and me and a friend are trying to get on some bears. we didnt get to a bear baiting clinic and we have limited time whats the best approach?

Find some sunny slopes, spot and stalk. The southern exposures are mostly clear of snow now and vegitation is coming up for them to feed on. Spend time glassing the slopes for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Find some sunny slopes, spot and stalk. The southern exposures are mostly clear of snow now and vegitation is coming up for them to feed on. Spend time glassing the slopes for them.
    I agree, pick a good area for bear and try to find sign, scat and tracks. Find areas where freshly melted snow is giving way to new vegitation. If it's really warm and sunny, hunt shaded areas. When you're in a good area go slow and stop now and then for 10 or 15 min to listen and glass.

Just yesterday, I was doing this and decided to take a little nap under a tree on a sunny slope about 1 PM. After about 30 minutes I sat up and looked to my right and there was a bear about 150 - 200 yds. All I could see was the head and shoulders and in about 3 sec it disappeared into the brush. It looked like it was coming in my direction and I was down wind from it. Odd for bears to move down wind like that. I stayed put for about 10 minutes glassing all around and didn't see any more traces of it. Then I decided to work my way in the direction where I saw it. I moved carefully and stopped about every 10 - 15 yds and thoroughly glassed all around. After I had stalked in about 80 yds the bear appeared right in front of me about 40 yds away. It was a reddish cinnamon with a nice coat, about 200 - 250 lbs. I was hoping for a 300 lb or better, so I start debating with myself whether or not to take it as it is coming toward me and disappears into the brush again. I decide I will take it when it appears again which would be about 15 - 20 yds right below me and I slide my safety to the fire position, but I'm also wondering about cubs? I Haven't seen or heard any sign of cubs, but the area is brushy. I start to raise my rifle and keep looking around for cubs... the bear is now probably about 25 yds from me but I still can't see it and it has no idea of my presence. My rifle is in the raised and ready to fire position and I am scanning and a cub appears behind the bear about a minute later. Real good thing I didn't shoot that sow. I put my rifle back in the safe position and immediately decide to back out quickly making noise but not yelling or anything like that. As soon as the sow heard me she sent her cubs up some trees. I continued to back out hoping I wouldn't have to shoot the sow and thankfuly there was no incident.

Bear huning is different than other types of hunting and you need to know all the factors going in.

Hopefully this will help, good hunting

If you don't have a boat, go for a hike and start glassing the hillsides. Even if you don't get a bear the experiences out there will be worth your effort. Good luck,

Default thanks

Thanks for the advice. Where I hunt I have already seen many different tracks and scat and in the bottoms a stream is just thawing out. It also has many large hillsides that look like they have been clear cut. I think I'll have good luck

were do you plan on going. due you have a boat or are yoou hiken??