Thread: best jacket?

Default best jacket?

heading up to AK for the 1st time next month. i dont have a good waterproof jacket. what do you recommend? i will be in sitka. i was thinking something along the lines of a 4 in 1 parka, that way i can use it duck hunting back here.

Default Jacket

We're fixin to break into t-shirts here. Temps in 60's!

When it's rainy though, waterproof shells work, adding layers under when needed.

I don't know if any one plan works for all situations - especially the battle between serious waterproof (HH Impertech etc) and breathability (Gore, Schoeller cloth?), especially for more active pursuits.

You could just shop after arrival too. Good luck.

I usually go with a breatheable, lightweight shell and put layers underneath until I'm comfortable. Sometimes this means wearing the raingear against the skin. If I'm going brushbusting or have to get some work done, I wear heavyweight HH gear that won't rip or leak.

I've tried a few different shells, and they all seem about the same: they keep a person dry during showers but will eventually let some water soak in during long downpours. They're usually breatheable enough to wear as a windbreaker if it's not raining, which is useful for staying warm. It seems like their inner layers or taped seams wear out after a few years. My current set is Cabela's "Ultrapack", and they're alright. They take up no space in a big backpack.

I've tried heavier coats & jackets, but they're not too useful in the SE during the summer months; too warm unless you're up in the snowline. (A few summers ago it got up to the 90s around Annette Island, and it was muggy too.) The setup I have for most outdoorsie excursions is a snug synthetic t-shirt, a polypro long shirt, a nylon buttonup shirt or wool sweater, a fleece or wool jacket, and a shell. I only use a parka during winter.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

i like the idea about buying when i get up there, that way i can get the local advice. are things much more expensive up there, compared to the lower 48?

Default Some ideas

I am not an expert on this topic but I will offer a few ideas/suggestions... I am reworking my outdoor gear list largely based on recommendations from the helpful members on this site as well as my years of trial and error so here are some thoughts.

Consensus on this forum I would say is that Helly Hansen Impertech is the way to go for raingear--all the other stuff (softshells, gore-tex, other breathable stuff) will fail in the long run--or maybe even the short run.

What I used to wear was the old-style Army rubber camo rainsuit--tops and bottoms--I would beat the heck out of it and wear it out in 2 years from brushbusting, sliding down hillsides, etc.--but it was cheap to replace. When I wear this jacket I usually have very little underneath to prevent overheating--maybe only a very thin polypro-type top which wicks away sweat and will dry fast when I am stationary. This year I am upgrading to Impertech based on the strong reviews on this site.

Other jackets/ softshells--some here have said jackets like the Mountain Hardwear Alchemy jacket is a great choice for a softshell that can be worn until the rain really begins to come down.
    I bought that jacket this year and might test it out--altho I got a good deal on a Millet W3 jacket--believe it is a French mfr--I tried it out in some blowing rain and it seems to work real well, especially the hood and I usually hate jackets with hoods--think this is going to be my softshell for my sheep and goat hunt this fall. Here is a link for this jacket--sort of hard to find this jacket stateside. http://store.everestgear.com/miv3056.html
    Other jackets similar to these might also work--the high-end climbing/hiking type jackets work--there is actually a good feature in the Outside Magazine Buyer's Guide which is on news-stands now for these hi-tech softshells--some brands they recommend include the Marmot DriClime Catalyst, Mountain Hardwear Transition, and the Helly Hansen Current (which looks real good but cannot be found on the HH website yet...think they might have renamed it or are releasing it later in the year) Any of these should work--try on a few for size and fit and specific features that you like--for example, for me I look for jackets with the armpit zips because I overheat so easily...

As for a 4-in-1 parka--I would never go that route--have hunted with others who have worn one and they are never comfortable until they are at rest in a dry spot and the weather is cool to cold out--they will either overheat while moving, are too bulky to wear with a pack on, and aren't truly rainproof anyway.

Layering is the key in Alaska...

That is why i think a high-tech softshell and Impertech combo might be about the best one can do these days until they can develop a truly breathable and waterproof jacket.

Just my thoughts...

I go to SE Alaska at times, and this time of year I have two jackets. If I am going to be out on the water, expecting a lot of rain, I always carry my knee length Impertec coat and Bibs. they are great on shore as well, but I prefer them in REALLY wet weather. If I am on shore, and it is normal spring time weather, I wear my Cabela's MT-050 uninsulated jacket with a hood. I believe in layering under my coat...polypro or similar base layer and a wool shirt. I also like to have a fleece vest with a wind stopper.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

anywhere i can find this impertech around? should i buy it up there when i get to sitka, or try to find it down here in MI?