Thread: G-Loomis rods

Question G-Loomis rods

I just picked up a GL3 spinning rod today. Rated for up to 15# line. I think I may have my new silver rod.

Has anyone tried braided lines on these? I dont want to be embecile and cut my guides apart on such a nice looking rod by using braided line.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

i have several loomis' , and i use braid on most of them. you wont have a problem.

Excellent. I may use 40# Spiderwire wire stealth I am fond of not losing any lures.

Default 40lb braid

you might not lose any lures but you might break your new rod o well its a loomis they will send you a new one ,,,,,,,,,,sweet rod man I wish I had one like it

I am not going to set the drag for 40# are you nuts.

The drag will be the same as if it was 15#test.

I use 65# braid on my King rods with the drag set the same as if I had 25# mono because my rod is rated for 25#.

When get snagged up I wrap my line around a stick and pull with steady pressure and with 65# I have gotten all my lures back either by the hooks bending or by bringing in up to 20' trees. No joke.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

I use 65# braid on my King rods with the drag set the same as if I had 25# mono because my rod is rated for 25#.

When get snagged up I wrap my line around a stick and pull with steady pressure and with 65# I have gotten all my lures back either by the hooks bending or by bringing in up to 20' trees. No joke.
    some pepole say im nuts because i live to fish lol

Default I hear ya on that one!

My wife thinks I have a mental problem when it comes to fishing. I eat, breathe and live for salmon fishing. Doesn't matter how many times I come home skunked or had a slow day. I am right back out there the next day. Most alaskans I know talk about how the novelty wore off after a few years. Not for me, I plan on catching kings till I can't walk to the rivers anymore. Good luck guys, the fish are here and will only get more plentiful by the day.

Default i,ve used these, and they work prette good.

with these, you can use the proper line for your rod/reel combination, and still not lose lures..

http://www.ultimateluresaver.com/

Thumbs down Spinning With Braid

Had an interesting experience with braided line a couple of years ago Iíll pass on for those who might be thinking of using it spinning for Silvers.

I was fishing a small river for Silvers, the water was crystal clear and fresh schools of silvers were moving up river. You could easily see every fish. My partner and I were both using pink (silver blade) #6 Vibrox lures out of a 12í Zodiac drifting with the tide up river. My partner was using 15#mono and I was using 14# braid. We would cast into the middle of the pack and pull the lure through the front-runners. He was hooking 5-8 fish to every one of mine!! The fish would follow his lure and hit it HARD, they would follow my lure and turn away as they got within 6Ē of it. Man I was going crazy!!! Then I switched spools to 15# mono and I was back in the game. I think they could hear the sound for the braid going through the rod guides and would shy away.

TL

N O T E: I believe braid has its place, but it sure isnít spinning for Silvers or any other fish with lures.

Interesting guys.

I like the split ring device.

I have been using 65# braid for all my lure fishing for salmon and have not felt handicapped in any way to less strikes from fish. Maybe your buddy rubbed 'fish be gone' on your line and the fish could smell it when they got close enough.

The rod rating is for sensitivy in my opinion. Because your drag will alway be set a little less than line strength or you will break your line on every fish. If your rod is rated for 15 pound line then the highest tension your rod will feel is 14 pounds of pressure. So if you set your drag for 14 pounds of pressure what does it matter if the line weight is really 15,16,17,20,25 or 40 for that matter.

The line will only ever break if you get into snag. I never use the rod to pull from snags. I wrap the line around my coat sleeve or a stick for that.

The reason I am considering the 40# braid is because it is 15#mono diameter. My 65# braid is 25#mono diameter and I can cast farther with the braid.

If I use mono it will be 20# P-Line Evolution which is also 15# diameter.

No matter what my drag will not be set for more than 14# pressure.

I will be using 40lb braid casting Vibrax spinners for Kings in another 3 weeks. Braid offers exceptional hook setting power compared to mono. However, you need to tie on a 2 - 3 ft mono or flouro carbon leader to prevent fish from spooking in clear water.

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    Had an interesting experience with braided line a couple of years ago I’ll pass on for those who might be thinking of using it spinning for Silvers.

I was fishing a small river for Silvers, the water was crystal clear and fresh schools of silvers were moving up river. You could easily see every fish. My partner and I were both using pink (silver blade) #6 Vibrox lures out of a 12’ Zodiac drifting with the tide up river. My partner was using 15#mono and I was using 14# braid. We would cast into the middle of the pack and pull the lure through the front-runners. He was hooking 5-8 fish to every one of mine!! The fish would follow his lure and hit it HARD, they would follow my lure and turn away as they got within 6” of it. Man I was going crazy!!! Then I switched spools to 15# mono and I was back in the game. I think they could hear the sound for the braid going through the rod guides and would shy away.

TL

N O T E: I believe braid has its place, but it sure isn’t spinning for Silvers or any other fish with lures.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 05-19-2008 at 13:11. Reason: spelling

I have only needed to use mono leaders for spin-n-glo usage with braided line. That is only because the spin-n-glo will not work right on a braided line.

My swivels are tied directly to the end of the braid. The king in my signature did not mind. Along with every silver I caught last year. All on 65# braid.

--

A couple notes I have to add though is the rivers I fish are not crystal clear.

My silver river is pretty clear but not crystal clear.

I think water clarity obviously is a factor with so many comments on using clear leaders.

------

If you use a non-braid leader I will give you this tip. Make sure it is a strong line.

I used 30# mono on my spin-n-glo rigs and these will pop right off with the hookset on 65# braid line.

If I do a lighter hookset the hooks will not hook the fish.

To me it did not seem like I was hitting the fish any harder but those 30# leaders would snap off on the hookset.

It actually seemed like I had 2# leader as the 30# would snap so quick.

I switched to my mono rod 25# line and using the very same 30# leaders did just fine. I am this year switching to 40#+ leaders for my Spin-N-Glo rigs on my braided line.

---

If anyone has experience with which mono leaders are a good match for a corresponding braided main line, please share. I am in the learning phase on that one myself.

-

Thumbs down Beware of Loomis "free replacement" rod

I had a Loomis break on me (my fault and they didn't ask) but I had to pay for shipping (both ways) and a replacement cost to get another rod. Overall, was cheaper than buying another one, but FAR from a free replacement! Only did it since I had all that money invested anyway. I'm sure every situation could be different.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    I will be using 40lb braid casting Vibrax spinners for Kings in another 3 weeks. Braid offers exceptional hook setting power compared to mono. However, you need to tie on a 2 - 3 ft mono or flouro carbon leader to prevent fish from spooking in clear water.
    I convinced that the sound of the braid going through the eyes of the rod was a turn off for the silvers. I was fishing with a group of four boats and there were Silvers throughout the 2 miles of river and I was the only guy using braid. Everyone was hooking fifh at 5-8 times the rate as I was until I switched to mono. I was using a G-Loomis GL3 medium fast with a Stratic 4000.

I'm going back to the same spot this September and there will not be braid on my spool!!

TL

Default Things that make you go H-M-M-M-M....

The rod rating is for sensitivy in my opinion. Because your drag will alway be set a little less than line strength or you will break your line on every fish. If your rod is rated for 15 pound line then the highest tension your rod will feel is 14 pounds of pressure. So if you set your drag for 14 pounds of pressure what does it matter if the line weight is really 15,16,17,20,25 or 40 for that matter.
    WHOA!

Drag set for 14# of pressure?

My favorite 10.5 ft Loomis salmon trolling/backtrolling rod is rated to 40# test. With a line load of only 5 pounds, it is bottomed out to the corks. A line load of 6# feels like it's on the verge of exploding!

Check it out on your own pet meat-stick for yourself. Tie a 5# hand weight (sack of sugar or sack of flour if your S.O. does not work out) to the end of your line and see how easily (or not) your rod will lift it off the floor! You will be amazed at how little lifting force you are actually able to generate.... even with the beefiest of meat-sticks.

Setting your drag to 14# is virtually a guarantee that you will snap a rod when that fish of a lifetime tries to take off for its first screaming run. Don't go into this with a pre-set poundage for drag in mind, but instead allow the rod rating/action to determine what the right amount of drag should be.

Whether you opt for mono or braid, my advice for setting the drag for your brand new rod (Loomis Lami UglyStick or whatever) is to walk out 30-40 ft of line and either tie it off to something stationary or have a buddy hold it. Now hold the rod absolutely vertical. Then either you walk backwards or have your buddy walk away to tighten the line. While keeping the corks vertical, allow the rod to load up deep into the butt section of the rod. The drag should be set just tight enough so that line just begins to slip as you reach that full load.

If you were to thumb the spool to lock it at just the point where the drag slips , there should still be a little bit of reserve flex in that butt section to cushion a sudden surge during the battle.

If you set the drag any tighter than this, your rod will "run out of butt" before line slips off the reel. You must either drop the rod tip to take the pressure off the rod and allow the line to strip directly from the reel (as if there were no rod at all).... or else be prepared to buy another rod when that fish takes off!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Thank you fishNphysician but my post was not meant literally.

My reply was to mean that my drag will be set for less than will break 15#test mono.

Whatever that means for actual dead weight on the end of line I am not sure.

I think it is a good project to post the results. Especially in this very informative discussion.

I will give it a try and see what my fish scale says the actuall weight of drag is.

-----------

That was fun.

My cheapie fish scale would read between 6.5 and 8 pounds.

I just happened to have some weights lying around and my drag setting would not quite lift 6.75 pounds off the floor. So close but not quite.