Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nothing but browns hitting this year.

Default Nothing but browns hitting this year.

So far this year I've identified 5 different brown bears that have hit my bait station. I sure wish they'd go away. Here's photos of the latest 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the third one.

Talking bears

Well at least your stand is haveing bears. Me i have nothing. well good luck with that griz problem. Hope all goes well

Talking whats your bait

What are you using? Tourist arms. Bears love them wrapped in crisp new REI Gortex.

Default lol

I am using the standard dog food with a ton of deep frier grease. I put so anise rags and vanilla rags and doughnuts out on thursday when i went to check it. I am sure they will come my stand is new just got put up this year. So i am sure i will have a bear find it. And put out some rotten chicken. So hopefully that works.

Dogfood, stale bread, fryer grease. This is the second year in this spot. Last year I had one griz and lots of black bear.

Default browns

Im having the same problem last year I had 1 brown and several different blacks. This year 1 black and 4 different browns so far.

I'm no expert on bear baiting but once you have a brownie (or more) hitting it I would think the number of black bears coming in would dimminish........might have to move it

At the Board of Game meeting this spring, several of us were talking about bear baiting during one of the breaks and I can't recall who told us this, but he said that a lot of baiters in southcentral or the Kenai area had discovered that using horse feed instead of dog food didn't attract brown bears. I have no idea if it's true; is anyone out there using horse feed for bait? Just throwing it out there....

Default I've used

horse feed, but don't have the grizz issues that some on here do so can't say if it works or not. I can only imagine that most of those blacks around there aren't coming into your bait with those grizz on there!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    At the Board of Game meeting this spring, several of us were talking about bear baiting during one of the breaks and I can't recall who told us this, but he said that a lot of baiters in southcentral or the Kenai area had discovered that using horse feed instead of dog food didn't attract brown bears. I have no idea if it's true; is anyone out there using horse feed for bait? Just throwing it out there....
    That makes sense, Mark. Ole Roy and most of the other dog foods seem to be meat based and brownies are attracted to meat. It would be worth a try.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Mark

I used oats soaked with molassas over twenty years ago, before the donut craze.

I've also used rotten meat and cooking grease collected over a winter. The stuff was so gross it would gag ya'.

I don't know if I could see any difference back then. I always got more black bears than brown bears on it.

Frankly, I think there are more and more brown bears out there, and their numbers are increasing...............

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Frankly, I think there are more and more brown bears out there, and their numbers are increasing...............
    Yup, but somehow F&G ain't seeing that.

Default Griz on Bait

2006 7-9 Black bears 2007 7-8 Griz two black bears. Griz numbers going up. F&G won't admit that numbers are up but what brings tourist to AK? The hope to see a griz in the wild. Just my opinion. You know what they say of opinions though.

LKN4ELK

Be careful using corn, oats or barley. If you leave one little kernel or piece of oat behind F&G will site you for baiting after season.

New ones that hit late yesterday and today.

Default Still don't know

if my trail camera even works! There are plenty of photos of me dumping food out! This last time not one picture taken until I walked up on the camera to check it. Of course the food is still there, so that would explain the no photos. You got nice pics though!
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I hunted a bait on the Kenai that was all horse feed and molasses. My buddy got the horse feed and 5 gallon pails of molasses from AK mill and feed - there was one brownie hitting one of the baits but he could not keep the food in there with the blacks - they ate every flipping little piece of it. He'd carry a new 50 lb bag in with him every time he went to bait and feed them some more. When the blacks came in they'd pull up a chair and eat until they couldn't walk. It's hard for them to carry it off and eat elsewhere out of sight so they just camped out. I hunted it after he was done so the bears were pretty shy since 3 of them were killed in there in a week off the horse feed.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex7201 View Post
    I am using the standard dog food with a ton of deep frier grease. I put so anise rags and vanilla rags and doughnuts out on thursday when i went to check it. I am sure they will come my stand is new just got put up this year. So i am sure i will have a bear find it. And put out some rotten chicken. So hopefully that works.
    Don't forget the maple surple.

Brian

Another new one.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast