Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bears around the coghill outta whitter?

Default bears around the coghill outta whitter?

Trying to get info on the bears and fishing around coghill end of may. Its a long way to run if there isnt much around. Any info would be great..Thanks guys

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default we tried around

there a few years back and didnt see anything. glassed the flats real good. im sure there are bears around there and have heard good things about the area. if you could get a boat into the lake i bet you would do real well but i imagine the lake is probably still froze? or the weir is up. i know it gets real wide and shallow where the put the weir and the bottom isnt very forgiving.

Default what time of year

where you there? You didnt happen to do any shrimpin did ya? Thanks again

Default Well we are heading out

Thursday morning so when I get to the launch I expect all in line to step aside.......gonna take the shrimp pots and see what we can do in 5 days out that direction. Any one else gonna be that way?

Try the bays right before and after ester passage was out there last year saw nothing at coghill but glassed about 15 bears right before and right after ester passage in wells

Default i Agree with the ester passage plan

but it is my understanding that there are good numbers of people there as well. Just dont want to crowd anyone... thanks for the advise

Default Esther Passage

Was out checking baits in PWS this last weekend. No hits yet, still a few feet of standing snow. I feel bad for those people baiting in Esther Passage. Drove through on Sunday, saw one bear and 11 boats. Way too much pressure in that part of the Sound.

don't go in ester stay in wells and check the bays right near by the entrance way to much preasure in ester I agree

Ok guys this is all great. Is there any others that have gone to coghill area this time of year? The greens should be coming through I would think down there.

Was there this past weekend; no bears and could not get into the lake with a larger boat but an inflatable would probably make it. Saw 2 other boats up that way, lots of boats around Ester Island. Did not see any bears anywhere but heard a couple of other guys say they had seen 2. Still lots of snow up College Fiord.
    Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Ok guys this is all great. Is there any others that have gone to coghill area this time of year? The greens should be coming through I would think down there.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

will be taking a 12 foot zodiac so that may be the ticket. I'm running a 23foot jet think I could run that river with it? Thanks

From here on out you will see allot of people. We saw one bear by Coghill. Every place you go there has a good chance to see bears. Ok maybe not the islands but the main land.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

will be taking a 12 foot zodiac so that may be the ticket. I'm running a 23foot jet think I could run that river with it? Thanks
    no unless the water level is a little deeper, last fall we tried to to do some fishing up in the lake but could not make it in a 10 inflateable way too shallow had to drag the raft across the shallows to find deeper water and the further up the river u get the narrower the river gets which puts u in the alders for running the little channel

How about shrimpin in that neck of the woods. U think they live in that far ? This will be the first time for us setting pots ever. I dont have a pot puller but the wife is coming along so she should work right?

she will work for the first 5min. of pulling before she turns around and kicks you in the nuts and tells you no thanks i will buy them in the store The closet to there that I have ever set pots was pigot bay otherwise it's the falls or out further past port wells

Well thanks for the warning. I'll make sure Shes got her waders and bibs on when she starts pullin. I dont think she would be able to get her foot that high with all the gear. Hey thanks a bunch for all the info will be heading out around 7a.m thursday will post pics good or bad when return.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default well

will post pics good or bad when return.

lets hear a report about bears. sounds like you did good shrimping and caught a few halibut.

no bears still plenty of snow though 3-4 feet in the woods the flats were mostly clear of snow. Not a track or scat or any signs at all. Did catch some halibut close by though. Glassed the opposite side of the bay hard as there was less snow there looked good for bear country, but alais not one showed. We will probably go again next year but it will be later june 1 or so. Did see a few boats that way but not many and all left the same day they showed. nice weather all and all. no shots were heard either.

Exclamation Culross Pass Bears/desiosion Point/Kenai....

We just got back from Culross Pass and had the cabin at decision point in Squirrel Cove. Weather was pretty rough for my 16 ft. Klamath .(This was from the 6-9th. We saw one nice bear in Squirrle Cove but there was quite a bit of snow left. I'm sure its alot better now, and of course it cleared up the day we had to leave. Saw lots of shrimp pots way before Wells Passage.

I'm working on the Bruce Platform in Cook Inlet right now but go in on the first week of June. We are wanting to try Cooper Lake or maybe Skilak or Swanson River or Tustimina....Anyone have any ideas.
    I've got the 16ft Klamath and we both have wheelers as well.....
    this would be our first bear.
    I live on KGB road out of Wasilla, and was wondering about bears there as well....
    Any input would be great...

Talking 2 PWS Blackies Busted

We did well on our journey, saw over 20 bears in 4 days. We harvested ours by Port Wells not too far out. One 5 1/2, the other 5'8". We loaded the cooler with shrimp and a few rock fish. All in all, a great trip. The weather was touchy in our 20' Hewescraft Sportsman... 5' seas will pound you to death! I'll post some pics soon...
    Respect what you do not own but are privleged to enjoy, Mother Earth thanks you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast