Thread: memorial PWS

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default memorial PWS

i plan on being around the northern part of night island over memorial weekend. would be nice to hear some fishing reports if anyone has any. good or bad dosent matter, it wont change my plan and im not looking for any honey holes i have a few spots of my own im gonna check out. last year memorial we struck out on butts around smith islands, not sure if we were in the wrong spot or the fish were just still deep. seemed like it was a late start last year.

We are heading out on friday night weather permitting in a 21' bayliner trophy cuddy call sign "Anger management" and haven't decieded where we are going. Just going to fish but we have a few places to camp either back side of perry or lower knight island or down by cockrane somewhere. Have fun and stay safe

went out this weekend only picked up 1 yellow eye, driftind through upper herring bay, hooked into a shark near lone island,was not fishing for it and my real is now fried. it was to windy to drift saturday, a few places i tried to drift in 200' i nevr reached bottom with a 3# weight. so it was mostly a shake down cruise for the boat. good luck fishing. jeff

Default buddy of mine

got back from the only place he goes and only pulled in 4 in two days. i know the area he fishes pretty well and im sure he wasnt fishing more than 150 feet deep. maybe the fish are still hanging deeper. one of the areas i plan to fish is a pretty steep shelf from 60 feet to 600. hope i can find a depth where there are fish hanging there if the drift is right.

when we are out there we regularly fish in 200-400ft on drop offs and always catch some halibut but this year I just bought a avet hx 5/2 and got it loaded with 1860ft of line lol so I might be brave or just plain stupid and gonna try a little deeper this year and try some new places

ive been really looking into the speed jigging technique and might set myself up with a super deep water set up soon as well. being able to fish lighter lures deeper is kinda paving the way for me. i would sure hate to reel up a 24 oz lead head much more than 500 feet on a continuous basis. looks like its more efficient if the skipper is holding you in place with the motor instead of anchoring. drifting looks impossible in most applications jigging that deep.

Default PWS

Was out for two days this weekend. Found Halibut from 100ft down to 180ft. We did not fish any deeper than 180ft. Largest that we land was 64 inches. They where biting late in the evening and early morning. Hiting herring and jigs with herring and gulp. Used lots of chum.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    when we are out there we regularly fish in 200-400ft on drop offs and always catch some halibut but this year I just bought a avet hx 5/2 and got it loaded with 1860ft of line lol so I might be brave or just plain stupid and gonna try a little deeper this year and try some new places
    You will really like your new reel. I have two Avet Pro EXW 30 2-speed reels. They are one of the best purchases I have made.

Brave or Stupid, I resemble that remark at times. Decisions!

congrats captaindd on the nice catch can't wait til July find the hole that holds the monster so I can put this new reel to the test . The only thing the reel is missing is a line guide i sure am gonna miss it a bunch nothing worse than reeling up from the deep over and over again guiding the line with your thumb