Thread: Palmer canoe lake

Default Palmer canoe lake

Anyone grayling wish in Canoe lake yet this year? can you get a canoe in easy? what bait? lure?

i fished canoe lake this time last year. i didnt see any greyling, but there were a few bows trying to spawn. didnt catch any fish, but it was a nice secluded lake. it was really easy to get a canoe into. try a flashy spoon (i like little cleos) or a leech on a fly rod as they are probably not yet coming to surface to eat. it will be more of an irritation strike

I have been there before as the ice goes out and the Grayling fishing is crazy. Fish on every cast. I expect that F&G may not stick so many Grayling in there anymore because of that.

Give F&G a call and see what they say about canoe lake.

As far as gear for the rest of the year I have caught Grayling on smath fglatfish and of course any king of small spinner or spoon. Single eggs or worms for bait.

When Grayling are hungry they will eat more than just tiny gear. I have caught 16" fish on #4 Vibrax while trying for char. Not just one either. It was on a single outing but I caught 4 or 5 on the Vibrax. The big hook was just big small enough to fit in there mouths.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

My go to spinners for grayling are #3 vibrax spinners in silver or gold.
    Tiny spinners kill way too many grayling. My smallest grayling spinners are #2's. For spoons I like 1 to 1 1/2 Len Thompsons, Little Cleos and Lucky Strike 1/2 Waves.

i have only caight grayling out of 4 spots in the lake. i usually use eggs or night crawlers. first spot is 10 oclock from the launch against the bank by the trees. 2nd is under the powerlines left side fish the bottom here. 3rd is middle under powerlines, if you see rising fish dry flies work awesome, black knats. last place is good on warm days far end of the lake you will see lily pads fish here and get grayling and rainbow, flies or bait work well here. the lake is usually very clear and you can see far into the water. hope this helps. launching a canoe is easier with 2 people you have to take it up over a small hill and lake is a few yards down the path. usually a small black bear around in the evenings. jeff

Can you say surf and turf?

I have not fished Canoe for several years now. Last time I did, it was just after ice-out, and a bead head nymph was the ticket. Other offerings did not do nearly as well.

My fly for after ice out was a dry fly made of antelope hair. Just a pinch of hair layed flat on the hook. I leave a bit of tail like most any traditional dry but I leave the front cut ends long and tie them into a popper head of sorts. It is bright white and quite unnatural but it can sometimes make grayling and Rainbows bite when nothing else seems to. It is pure terror on fresh stockers.