Thread: Unique Bear

Default Unique Bear

While hunting black bear with my son last night we shot a once in a life time bear. My son spoted a bear and after watching it for a little while we noticed it was limping real bad. It was not very big but I figured we would complete the job someone else failed to do. After an uneventfull shot we walked up to the bear and noticed the cause of its limp. It only had 3 legs!! The front right leg at the elbow was gone. It was a fur coverd stump. After sKinning it it lookes as if there was no broken bone just missing from the elbow down. When I was telling my dad this story he asked how big it was. I told him anyone could shoot a big bear but how many have shot one with three legs. That is one my son will not forget and the small bear will eat just fine.

If i had to guess a snare was the cause, but who knows.

Stories of three legged bears are not especially uncommon - both black and brown. Usually secondary to trauma such as snares, or traps in the past. I guess secondary to firearms and altercations with other bears are pretty common also.

Default Black Bear

I saw a black bear once over near Seldovia that was missing half of a front leg.

I run bears with dogs in wisconsin and we have seen a few bears over the years with missing or messed up legs!!

Aaron

wbooth, got any pictures you can post. It would be interesting to see, for those of us who have not experienced one.

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Thumbs up Remarkable

Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    ...I told him anyone could shoot a big bear but how many have shot one with three legs.
    Pretty amazing how many folks have seen bears short a limb. But you're right, wbooth, there are a lot more big bears taken each year than 3-legged bears.

Good for you, and your son!

Many years ago I took a large, old blackie whose jaw had been broken, the pieces had overlapped and healed.
    Hopefully for him, it happened in the late fall and he just denned up afterwards.
    I can't figure out how he could have gotten enough to eat otherwise...

"It was not very big but I figured we would complete the job someone else failed to do"

Good for you and good lesson for your son.

Default pictures

My camera had a dead battery so no pictures. I had a video camera the 2 days before and the bears would not come in so I let it at home as well. Murphys law I guess.

Default I shot a 3-legged bear too

I shot a 3 legged bear about 10 years ago just outside of Fairbanks. It was limping a bit on the tundra (think this was up at Murphy Dome if I recall correct) and I figured that somebody else had shot and wounded it.

It was a very small bear and didn't have any fat on it--I think I did the right thing because with winter coming on and the lack of fat on it I seriously doubt it would have survived. The injured leg was broke right around the elbow joint and had started to heal over but it still was bloody--figured it kept reopening the wound when it walked.

Not sure what had caused the wound--I speculated that it could have been from a fight with a larger bear, a snare, or gunshot wound, or if it was from the springtime maybe even from breaking thru ice (have heard that cuts and broken legs are somewhat common for animals like whitetails in swamps in the Midwest).

I have a photo of the bear with a close-up of the injury and will try to post that later...

Default gimpy bear

About 15 years ago my partner and I were hunting brownies in the Misty Fiord area and we ran into a sow and a cub. The cub (maybe a 2 year old) had a twisted and deformed front leg and couldn't walk on it. The day after we first saw it we found both of them about 2 miles away from the first sighting. They had to traverse over a vertical 4000' mountain and evidently did quite well.

kingfisherktn

Just a couple of years ago a friend mine took a nice 6 1/2 blackie with a twisted up front jaw. It was completely healed over but it was pretty neat looking. By the scaring I would say it happened in a fight years before. Due to his size I he managed well with the injury.