Thread: Fly line?

Default Fly line?

I picked up a new fly rod yesterday for salmon, and I was wondering what type of line to use. Do I need weighted line or not? Might be a silly question, but I'm not sure.

I normally use a sink tip line with a short leader/tippet set up, but there is probably a 50/50 split to those that use a set up like I do, and those that use a full floating line with a bit of a longer leader/tippet set up. Either one works just fine.

So you wouldn't suggest sinking line?

I like a sink tip line the best. I have fished with a full sink line, but it's just a matter of personal preference to use sink tip.

What strength do you recommend for Silvers? I will be taking my 7wt GLoomis out for Silvers for the first time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcLaughlin View Post
    So you wouldn't suggest sinking line?
    No. I have used a full sinking line before and it is just too hard to control (pick up) compared to the sink tip. I would suggest a Hi-Density fast sinking, sink tip line. My second choice would be a full floating line with a bit of a longer leader/tippit set up. I also carry a few "shooting heads" which are made of lead core fly line with braided loops at each end. I carry a 5', 2', and 1' most of the time. This way I can adjust for the conditions without needing to change lines. I do use these with full floating lines also. By the way, these are very easy to make yourself by going to your local flyshop and buy 10' of bulk lead core line, cut it up, add loops, and your in business.

I use full floating line with weighted flies and straight mono leader. Seems to work just fine.

The most effective setup by far is sink tip line, and 10-15# maxima ultragreen leader.

You can attempt it with floating or sinking lines, or straight mono leaders, but these honestly do not work anywhere near as well as sink tip for swinging salmon flies.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    I use full floating line with weighted flies and straight mono leader. Seems to work just fine.

I agree, I use a full floating line with about 9 feet of leader. The waters I fish in (kenai area) I like the floating line. My fly gets down but my line does not get caught by the current and I can control it. In shallow water (the russian) I like floating also due to the faster water and being able to see my fly I can mend my line alot and control where my fly is being "placed"

Oh and my leader is just staight 25lb mono. Gots to be able to contol those puppies
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-19-2008 at 19:09. Reason: leader
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

When you use a floating line with 9' of leader, where and how do you hook up your weight?

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    When you use a floating line with 9' of leader, where and how do you hook up your weight?
    with floating line (which I don't do anymore) a sliding worm weight can be put on the leader above the fly so it rests on the knot, usually around 1/16 oz to sink the first 6 feet of the floating line, which defeats the purpose, and is better accomplished with sink tip. not the ideal setup. not the easiest thing to turn over, especially in wind (of course you could use 25# tippet). Wear a helmet.

the original post wanted to know what line/leader go with salmon flies. the answer is sinktip and short leaders, with tippet material in the 10-15# range, possibly a little more for kings, but that's it. I personally have a short taper from 20 to 15 to 10, as needed. I don't do, don't recommend, and don't see much floating line for this. Some people do it.

Being poor , i use just the floating line with a long leader and weighted fly this keeps me fishing in teh shallower water without having to change lines ( read buy lines)

Weight your flies when possible. I use split shot some times but it's a pain, doesn't cast very well. The interchangeable tip lines are nice because they give you 3 or 4 tips and it's a little more expensive. I think it's rio makes a nice set. Sink tip can be handy. I don't care for full sinking myself...
    River Runnin

This will be my 4th year using my rio versi-tip. I love it. it's been a great set up. feels so evenly balanced. need to get another for bows

Quote Originally Posted by honker View Post
    This will be my 4th year using my rio versi-tip. I love it. it's been a great set up. feels so evenly balanced. need to get another for bows

+1

Spend the extra $50 for the versi-tip. 5 lines in one. You can get more tips for it as well.

Which one to use depends entirely on the water your fishing. Personally, I like floaters whenever I can get away with it because I watch my line like its a bobber (I refuse to use the term "strike indicator") when dead-drifting. When enough shot is needed to make it a pain to cast, I switch tips to a sinker and shorten the leader down to 2 feet. Don't use any sinking line with a long leader, as it defeats the whole purpose. Also, I think that a tapered 2-3 foot leader is pointless...just use maxima 10 or 15 (I like the chameleon).

Alaskachuck: I hope your using a 12 wt. 25lb tippet is just asking for a broken rod IMO. I sure wouldn't want my flyrod to be the weakest link in my setup...