Thread: A total Newbie

Default A total Newbie

So, I was out fishing yesterday, and met a random person panning. He showed me some color, and yes I am hooked! Picked up two gold pans last night, and just an eye dropper to sniff with to start. Not even entirely sure how to sniff the flakes: with water in the dropper I assume. Not looking to do anything on a large scale...just pan while fishing as areas present themselves. Not even sure I would be able to tell difference between real flakes and fools.
    So, any beginners tips etc would be greatly appreciated! Not asking for any spots...just instructions for beginners. Heading out again today...

i would suggest lookin at the gpaa its a good way to start and cheep if you go to the lower 48. they have lost of places in the lower 48, not so many up here. go by alaska mining and diving they have lots of books to help find locations. another suggestion is to look on youtube for videos on how to pan. it helps a little. like you i usually bring a pan along when fishing or camping, i have found gold not much but it does add up. n would sugest getting plastic vials to store the gold in i dropped abd broke the glass ones. hope you find some gold.jeff

PM me your address. I have a tape called "sure fire panning methods". I don't need it anymore so you are welcome to have it. With out physically showing you, this is the best tape ever to learn from.

I'll send it to ya no charge, just to get you hooked more! ;-)

Curt

Default PAN

I would suggest, use the pan sparingly; BUY A SLUICE.
    Pans are a way of getting into prospecting, but slow. True it is important to know how to pan so you can sample different materials (find the gold), However to increase production a sluice is in order. Once you find material that pays you need to run higher volumes than a pan allows. Then pan your concentrates at home at the end of the day, in a tub of water with just a couple of drops of liquid soap, the soap lowere the surface tension of water and allows the finer particles of gold to sink instead of float.
    There are some places that don't allow anything other than pans for recreational prospecting though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default sluice box

Definately get a sluice box, I started out panning and was amazed how much more meterial I could go through with the sluice box. The are not that much money either. One thing that will help also is if you get some 1/4" screen or something similar to classify your material it will help and your sluice box will perform much better. Have fun.

Default good advice

So, I was out fishing yesterday, and met a random person panning. He showed me some color, and yes I am hooked! Picked up two gold pans last night, and just an eye dropper to sniff with to start. Not even entirely sure how to sniff the flakes: with water in the dropper I assume. Not looking to do anything on a large scale...just pan while fishing as areas present themselves. Not even sure I would be able to tell difference between real flakes and fools.
    So, any beginners tips etc would be greatly appreciated! Not asking for any spots...just instructions for beginners. Heading out again today...

+1

A simple 3' sluice works well for fishing trips.

Add two 5 gallon buckets, 1/4" screener, and 2 modern gold pans.
    (the buckets work well for transporting bait, tackle box..etc)

Dig below the vegetation/high water marks.
    Run a few buckets while fishing.
    Pan out the concentrates later.

That is our goal this summer. FUN

you can get that small backpack sluice its pretty lightweight.

What are the rules about finding gold on public land? Do you have to reveal your spot when you cash it in? What about if you are hiking up in the mountains and you find some ore? Not that I found any, but curious in case I ever do!! : )