Thread: eagle river update

Default eagle river update

took my 16' kenai drifter to eagle river on the 17. river was low. i had to drag a ways. there were a few kayakers that were playing around and i could even see then bouncing off rocks. its going to take another week or two of warm sunny weather to bring it up enough to raft down. overall nice day. the river was clear of debris and there was little ice left on the edge of the river.

Default Eagle River Conditions

Where did you put in/take out? I am looking at doing NF to Briggs Bridge here in the next week in my packraft. It looked doable from ER road, albeit a little low, but rising by the day!

thanks,

CW

Quote Originally Posted by sheepshape365 View Post
    Where did you put in/take out? I am looking at doing NF to Briggs Bridge here in the next week in my packraft. It looked doable from ER road, albeit a little low, but rising by the day!

thanks,

CW
    I might do the same float, but planning on taking out at the Eagle River Loop Road bridge due to my lack of packrafting skills. If you need a paddling partner, let me know.

i put in at the first exit heading north on the highway, there is a right turn prior to the bridge. I floated all the way down to the fort rich pull out before bravo bridge. but as the water comes up the river will be much more enjoyable. the rapids at the campground were nothing just get out and look to see where the best runs are. the left side of the rapids had the most water. good luck

FYI: Eagle River Loop Road bridge and Briggs Bridge are the same bridge. akprideinvegas put in where you guys want to take out. That's where all the fun starts.

Where can I get more information about taking out on Ft Rich?

Thanks

To get out on Ft Rich you need a permit. Permits are free. They are available at the Ft Rich Gate, and are good for two years. Show up at the gate during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, although you might be able to get one on Saturday too. Every adult in your boat has to have their own permit. They will also give you instructions about checking in & out.

To get your car to the take out, drive to the end of D Street (the one that the gate is on), and turn right at the "T". Stay on the main road (it becomes gravel). After you go under the railroad, do NOT turn left to go to Otter Lake. Proceed on another mile or so. A few hundred yards before Bravo Bridge (over Eagle River) turn right into the parking area.

From the river the take out is marked with signs on river left.

The biggest whitewater is at Campground Rapids (class III+ in my book), just above the highway, but the river is a little faster & rougher (class II+) than any of the stretch above Campground. There is a stretch of class IV water above the visitor center, but that's a hike in only section.

Default I was at the slough

at north fork on Friday - still really really low. My 12' cat would be draggin at the put in...

Default Floated today

Had to walk the whole slough from North Fork put in. Got out to the river, and floated down to the bridge take out. Saw alot of people on the river. A group came down in old towne cockpit canoes....one got caught in a logjam...flipped the canoe and I had to pull it out of a sweeper. Saw some folks in alpacka rafts. Couldn't get over how low the water was, and how many logs were everywhere. Many places had to row like I was on a lake....would recommend waiting awhile before floating again.

Default river

Hiked up 3/4 mile from Cground rapid today and did campground a couple times in alpackas, swam once. Very low but fun.

Help me out, whitepalm. When you swim in your Alpacka, how do you keep your boat from floating downstream and out of sight? I haven't hit the water yet, but have been pondering such a scenario.

Default swimming

I swam three times this weekend twice on MF Montana below the falls and once in campground rapids. Twice were good spills and both times the boat and me were in slightly different currents and I floated up to it. The other time I immediatly grabbed it.

Another friend dumped on MF MT. and we chased it downstream a few bends, quite a ways actually. We all had tag lines tied in but I dont like that setup because you have to keep it out of the waywhile paddling which was under the seat for me and then it usually wouldnt deploy on its own.

Paddling with friends is the best safety measure for that scenario but I know my setup could be dialed in a bit better. You're going to love that boat man, it is too much fun.

Alpackas dont like packframes either, mine was the cause on one dump. They like to grab wood.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepalm View Post
    Alpackas dont like packframes either, mine was the cause on one dump. They like to grab wood.
    Are you sure of that? Maybe it's the other way around.
    How do you know that packframes don't like Alpacka's???