Thread: upper chena

Default upper chena

Anyone been to the upper chena for Grayling? Trying to get a idea on how high the water is. I might try to head our for an evening fish tomorrow night.

Go. I check the USGS data for the Two Rivers area before heading out. For me, anything above 1200 to 1300cfs is not wadable. (But I only weight a buck fifty soaking wet.)
    I was at CHSR two weeks ago with the family. Fished around 50 mile. Caught one, saw lots of activity of other fish. Water was in the 2600cfs range then. It was high, fast and the color of an Alaskan Amber.

Link for USGS site. Scroll down until you see Yukon Basin. There are four metering stations on the Chena.
    http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current?type=flow

NOAA has several stations as well. One around the 40 mile bridge. Plus, they forecast river conditions a few days ahead.
    http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pafg

Default Last week

I also fished CHSR last week and I could not wade the river (I am a bit more than a buck-fifty ). It was very tannic, fast and deep. I fished a couple of bars that I could access for a few hours and didn't bend the rod... the fishing was great however. The ice was just going out on the slough's and small ponds in the area. The beavers, muskrats and birds were very active, so I really enjoyed the trip.

Good luck

Default Thanks

Looks like its a least worth a try. Ill let you know how it was when I get back.

Default Clearing on Sat

Just FYI 44 mile North Fork and down was clearing as of Sat. Rain will more than likely change that however little to no ice coming down and there were some fish. Over-heat one minute cold the next! Love this time of year. The Skeeters are starting to come out in numbers. Fish are starting to come of Post Spawn expect increase catch rates over the next two weeks on the main chena.

:-)