Thread: One more bear bait question

Default One more bear bait question

Something has been hitting my station. Between Monday and today something ate about 35 pounds of food. There is no obvious bear sign. The ground is dug a bit where honey and syrup has soaked it and the outer layer of bark on a tree that I poured honey down has little strips missing all up and down it but no obvious sign. I cant find tracks, or any skat anywhere in the direct area. On the opposite end of things I was just out at my buddies stand tonight that has been getting hit and you cant take a step in either direction for 20 yards around the bait with out stepping in bear skat. I have noticed a bunch of squirrels around my stand, could squirrels eat 35 pounds of dog food in a week? For that matter is there any other kind of animal that I need to worry about eating honey and pancake syrup soaked dog food? I read a book once about a guy that was getting hit by a bear that hardly left any sign at all...is this common or do they usually tear up the area when you get hit?

DO you guys have coon, fisher, or any other small amimals like that a pack of coon can eat you out of bait in a night!! Wolves will also eat alot of bait if they come into your site!!

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Something has been hitting my station. Between Monday and today something ate about 35 pounds of food. There is no obvious bear sign. The ground is dug a bit where honey and syrup has soaked it and the outer layer of bark on a tree that I poured honey down has little strips missing all up and down it but no obvious sign. I cant find tracks, or any skat anywhere in the direct area. On the opposite end of things I was just out at my buddies stand tonight that has been getting hit and you cant take a step in either direction for 20 yards around the bait with out stepping in bear skat. I have noticed a bunch of squirrels around my stand, could squirrels eat 35 pounds of dog food in a week? For that matter is there any other kind of animal that I need to worry about eating honey and pancake syrup soaked dog food? I read a book once about a guy that was getting hit by a bear that hardly left any sign at all...is this common or do they usually tear up the area when you get hit?
    If you have gobies(Canadian jays) in the area your food may be tucked in every tree bark crack and knot hole for 500 yards around! I have watched them do it with mine and I will tell you that only 3 of them can and will carry off 35 lbs of dog food in far LESS than a week, more like 2 days! The beaver has nothing on a gobie when it comes to hard work, they are absolutely tireless and as long as they have daylight they will be working on your pile non-stop! Usually 2-3 pieses per trip! Pretty bird but they don't call them camp ROBBERS for nothing.

rabbits have been in every one of my camera shots

I put extremely heavy logs over the hole of my barrel to keep the thieves at bay. You may not see paw prints depending on the ground is it tundra? Wolves, coyotes and whatever other animal out there will eat off your bait if they can get to it. But bears usually peel the bark and eat the dirt around the area if there is something they like on it. I would say maybe they are just getting in and there might be multiple bears. They might be running each other off. Look down the obvious trails for more sign. One year I never saw a skat pile about 40 yards down a game trail. But never at the bait sight. There were two boars running each other off all the time. Good luck!

Default Two Words

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    Something has been hitting my station.
    Without photo's or eyewitness accounts to validate my assumption:

Pine Marten.

Them little weasels, in coordination with the squirrels, ravens and jays, etc.

Yeah 35 pounds would be easy.

Default Porcupine?????

Would a porcupine eat your dog food? Any thoughts guys?

Default porcupines

I sat my stand last Friday night and watched three porcupines come in, sit down on their haunches, pick up a doughnut each and have dinner for at least two hours.