Thread: Yurt

Default Yurt

Is anyone out there living in the round full time? I have been looking at setting up a Yurt on my property. I figure that if in Mongolia you can survive in a Yurt you can survive in Ak. I am interested in what folks think about them and how they would stand up in the Interior winters. I have looked at the website from the company out of homer but honestly the Colorado yurt Co. has a much user friendly site. Any insight would be helpful. Maybe there is another thread that I have missed on this subject. Thanks.

Sorry I can't offer any help other than I've ran across several videos on YouTube about them.

There's a yurt set up at Muzzy's Kennel near Fairbanks for the dog handler to stay in. 1rst time star could tell you something about it, she posts in the dog mushing section.

Not much luck with this post. I will look into that yurt in Fbanks. Biting off more than I can chew but I know it. I would really like to be into the place by mid sept. and I still have a road to build. wish me luck

Yes, a family in Galena live in there year round. It is a bigger one, not sure on the size, but it has a loft type deal. They seem to be happy. Doug

I have two very portable ones that I use for hunting, a two - three man (16 ft) and a 5-6 man (22 ft) and I just love them. They are easy to set up and the simplicity of the principal is great.

I have done a lot of research (I have had one of my portables destroyed by high winds) and for a permanent structure (which I plan to have in the future) what you need to have, especially for Alaska is to get the best wind and snow upgrade that is possible.

In Ontario Canada where I am from, the Ministry of Natural Resources actually offer Yurts for rent and if they can put up with the snow and wind here, they can survive Alaska.

When you google "yurt" look at different site as to how they handle wind and snow loads such as http://coloradoyurt.com/yurts/yurt_c...wind/index.php
    and you will get a feeling as to what you should have.

I hope this helps.

If you have any question, just ask.

Default Yurts

Theres a few you can rent at the Seward Military resort, pretty sure they are still there, talk to them.

Default Spent 2 years living in one in Southcentral AK.

Yeti-
    Sorry for the late reply - I just saw the post for the first time tonight. My wife and I spent 2 years in a 30-foot diameter yurt in Wasilla. We loved it. A bit chilly in the winter but entirely doable. We heated ours with a big wood stove and stayed plenty warm. Yurts are bomber structures - it held huge snowloads like a champ, withstood very high winds, driving rain, and many sub-zero nights (and we stayed warm and cozy). Send me a PM if you want more info or pictures. We have since moved to Anchorage (got tired of the commute to work) but still have the yurt set up as a weekend cabin. We go up there often. We ordered ours from Pacific Yurts (based out of Oregon) - nice company, great product. Ours was outfitted with a few extra bells and whistles (snow and wind kit, tall walls, extra window, full insulation, etc.). I'm a big fan of the yurt and will use mine into the future.

if it was me I'd pay 500.00 and have an engineer augment the design for local wind and snow loads, could save your life.