Thread: Halibut from the Shore

Default Halibut from the Shore

As I mentioned in a couple previous threads, my dad's coming up this Thursday for almost a week and I'm desperate to give him a great Alaskan fishing experience. The guy has done so much for me in my life that I finally feel like I can pay him back in a small way this coming weekend. To change it up from Ship Creek, I'm thinking of taking him to Whittier or Seward and trying for halibut (or kings) from the shore one day. I've only been to each place twice and am mostly unfamiliar with both. Since I'm sick this weekend I've taken the opportunity to pour through "The Alaskan Angler's Roadside Guide" and read through a lot of the threads on this forum. With my internet connection as slow as it's been the past few days, it's been tedious to wait for posts to load. Both have been helpful to an extent, but I'm thinking we could use some direct, insider information to have any success in the short amount of time we have. Can anyone take the time to point me specifically where to go and what to use (I'm thinking herring) in either place? Any insight would be appreciated since I'm starting to stress myself out with this and stressed is the last thing I should be when fishing with my old man for a couple days amongst some of the greatest scenery on the planet is coming up next weekend.
    Thanks a ton.

salt lake city ut

Default halibut from shore

I got a small one off of the spit last year with hearing but it was in july drive to lands end then cast the thing as far as you can realy rip youre arm out good luck the spit might have a few kings also if youre lucky ,,if you want a realy good chance at halibut get a charter if you just want to catch your limits for a good price I recomend rainbow charters they are on the spit in homer they charge 95 bucks for a half day dont expect big fish with them just a couple nice 20 pounders but ya never know its fishin good luck,,if you want 2 try for biger halibuts go to rodnreel charters in deep creek my freinds wife got a 194 pounder last year but they do cost more .

graeme sent you a pm. never had any luck from shore in whittier, but only fished 1 day from shore. i have caught flounder from a boat at the head of the bay farside but that would be a long walk. seward is ok from shore, better from a boat as everwhere, i have caught halibut, rockfish,salmon, and large 16 legged starfish in seward. sometimes its slow sometimes its ok. you could probably pick up a few butts but may pick up a king or 2. see my pm and already did what i said... hope it helps jeff

I would suggest whiskey gultch south of ninilchik for buts off the beach. First tie yourself up a bunch of leaders on like 9/0 offset J hooks (i think i was using using 9/0 but i am not at home to check) with an egg loop on about 60# test mono (you may even wanna go with steel leader if you are fishing in an area with alot of dog fish) leave yourself about 18-36 inches of get yourself a couple of the really big corkies then slide one of the corkies on to your line so it is above the hook. Then get yourself one of those really big hoochies (like 6 inches long or so), slide the hoochie onto your line and force the corky above the hook up into the "head" of the hoochie. Now slide you second corkie onto your line so it is above the hoochie (it makes a nice bumper and adds extra buoyancy to your rig).

Now on to your main line place a halibut sinker slider on to your main line (go with about an 80# tuff line or similier for your mainline but you can only really get away with braided lines) and tie on an apporitley weighted swivel. tie on your hook rig and head down to the beach. i always look for a tide series without big swings and get down to the beach at least an hour before peek tide. i havent really found if it matters high tide or low. (i theorize that the out going would be a little better may help to distrubute your bait scent).

now that you are down at the beach put a piece of hearing (best) or squid (ok bait but stays on well) cinch down your egg loop on your bait (the loop keeps you from flinging off your bait when you go to cast) attach at least 4 ounce sinker to your rig (never use weight and line that is over what your rod is rated for you stand a chance of damaging your rod) You may have to add heavier sinkers as the tide begins to proggress. now fling your bait out with a vengence and watch your rig as it sails out to sea, make sure you dont fling your bait off.

Once your bait hits the water let it freespool a little till it hits bottom then very gently raise the tip of your rod and jig the bait but try not to move the sinker. this is the reason for the corky. It gives your bait and lure a little buoyancy so that you can jig your bait through the sinker slider.

for rod and reel the longer the rod the better i have a 14 footer but i have seen guys even using 8 foot salmon rods. the reel i have found in my experiance that you will get out there a little further using a level wind reel and like and abasodor 7000 size reel. Anything over the 7000 ambasador size is just a little to cumbersome to cast till you get used to it.

As long as you keep your bait moving you should not have to worry to much about trash fish picking up your bait and the movement from the hooshie will help to attract the halibut. Fishing off the beach though i wouldnt really expect an monster halibut. The biggest i have seen pictures of taken down here on the peninsula off the beach was about 40 lbs. usaully from my experiance they range more in the 10-15 lbs range. Also keep in mind fishing from the beach can be very tedious and way slower then in a boat but if you dont mind sititng back in a lawn chair on a beach drinking a beer and jigging your rod this may be thing for you.

Well best of luck

Default REad This...

It made me salivate at the idea of surf casting for halibut;

Someone else on the forum pointed me here so I now share it with you.

There are very few places you can catch Halibut from shore, if you you were here now they follow the herring along the beach as they are in spawning now. You might try renting a boat from Whittier boat rentals, if it was me and my dad I would spring for a charter, as the success rate is near 100%, size is the variable.
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins