Thread: Kenai Fishing?

Default Kenai Fishing?

Hi All,

Me and a few buddies are headed up to Sterling this week to do some fishing. This is our first trip to Alaska and are looking forward to seeing this great state!

Just wondering how the fishing has been lately? From what I see on the 'Net, the weather looks so-so, but we've got good raingear so that won't be an issue!

Thanks,

Mark

Silvers should be hitting the Sterling area by now, but I don't have any specifics on that. A friend of mine jsut went to the Upper Kenai (Cooper Landing area) two days ago and did pretty well on reds. There are lots of dark fish in the river, but if you spend your time you can sift through them to get some bright ones. He said they seemed to be smaller than usual, but hey, the limit has been upped to six fish (no more than 2 silvers, though). Good luck!

-Brian

I've fished the Kenai the last two days. At the Soldotna visitor center boardwalk we were skunked. Up at Swiftwater park two days ago we just got some pinks, and those by incidental hook contact. Yesterday I got a silver at Swiftwater within a minute of showing up there, and I got a mouthed pink soon after. A guy next to us was using a coho fly and got a silver and red and a bunch of pinks. I think the reds are definitely up by Cooper Landing, and the lower river is rather drained of them. We did see a few kings surfacing, but of course you can't target them now. That's my Kenai report.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Thanks much for the info! I'm really excited about finally getting to Alaska!

Regards,

Mark

Definitely get you a halibut charter when you're here.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

Ripface: I am visiting a friend in Sterling on Sep. 8th. What Butt charter would you suggest for one day, 2 guys? Thanks!

Captain Mike's or Captain Brian Sellars. Mike always catches big fish. Brian has probably the fastest boat in the fleet and carries 6 at a time. He will get you some good sized fish and he has nice gear. I prefer the smaller boats, vs. the party boats. You could call Homer Chamber of Commerce to get information on Capt. Mike, but Brian's company is Midnight Sun Charters and his boat is the Bell Isle. He'll find you some whales too, most likely. You can book with Brian online if you want. There's a million choices, and pretty much any you select will catch fish. Brian will go farther out than most of the bigger boats would.