Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just got back from whittier

Default just got back from whittier

sorry to say ramps are worse than last year. alot of exposed rebar, launched at low tide with no problem with the launch. i did get into a heated argument with a **** commercial boat taking up most of the ramp, and apparently they do not give a popcorn poot. he was in the way launching in the morning and in the way when i pulled out this evening. fighting the wing with a large boat at the end of the dock sucks when you only have 10' of water in front of the boat. it was windy and a little bumpy out there today but it was warm. alot of snow and ice in the parkinglot, watch those puddles some are over a foot deep. out to lone island and upper herring bay, no but ut did pick up a yellow eye. porpoise were everywhere and had a whale surface about 25' from the boat out by perry island. seen no jumpers yet but had a wonderful day on the water which turned sour after i returned to port. coast guard was doing safety inspections at the ramp today for free and are very nice. was a couple of calls for help today on the radio DIW both worked out well no injuries or damage to boats. first on had water in fuel was towed to outside harbor until wind dies down, second was unable to start i believe his neutral switch was not working correctly, i believe someone walked him through tripping it and it started and ran fine.... this is why i like fishing and boating, everyone is looking out for eachother, wish it was the same for auto drivers. i need to get more knowledgable about the coves and inlets so that when someone is in need if i am close i can head that way instead of 15 minutes looking at the chart. but this is my 10 time out of whittier and am brushng up on the chart knowladge. well i will be out sunday with a couple of people i have met through this site. so see everyone on the water jeff

Default Help updates

Nice to here you are looking out for others, as most of us are. Ran into 10 footers coming out of Nervous Narrows behind Fairmont Island and was checking on a 28' Uniflite going around Fairmont. Yep, everyone checking on one another, and giving weather/sea updates as well. We pressed on and went behind Glacier Is, while the Uniflite turned around and went back to Granite Bay. Good move on his part, safe..........

yes i went out farther than i should have also but was looking to give the boat a good run, i did go out to seal rock and was a little nervous but everything worked out well. next sunday going to run out to main bay to see whats going on then fish in knight passage. i did hook into a shark by lone today, got to replace a real now but all is well. hope everyone has a safe summer. jeff

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    was a couple of calls for help today on the radio DIW both worked out well no injuries or damage to boats. first on had water in fuel was towed to outside harbor until wind dies down, second was unable to start i believe his neutral switch was not working correctly, i believe someone walked him through tripping it and it started and ran fine....

The DIW was me. Water in the fuel. We received a tow by the yacht "Reel Pleasure" (i think). They towed us into Entry Cove, so that we could set the anchor. The boat "Alexander" answered the call and said that they were 30 minutes out and could tow me in. I told him we weren't going any where anytime soon. By the time he showed up, we had cleared the water and got her running on the center tank. I am a glass half full kind of guy and the day ended better than it started. Although the ramp fiasco is always a pain.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

glad to here everything worked out for you, when those calls came in i was just approaching knight island. i was ready to start heading your way when the reply came he was on the way to your aid, should have returned then. but being young i went out tword seal rock, waste of thipr the guy with me started feeding the fish. the rest of the trip was pretty much down hill from there. glad to here all turned out well. and hope it gets better for you in coming weekends.jeff

Spoiled One where do you think you picked up the water from?

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The boat "Alexander" answered the call and said that they were 30 minutes out and could tow me in.
    Was it possibly the "Alexadra", a 42' Sunfjord sternpicker? If so, those are good folks! We've commercial fished with them out of Whittier since the mid 80's. They've gotten into renting their boat out for research and for ski trips and are always willing to lend a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Was it possibly the "Alexadra", a 42' Sunfjord sternpicker? If so, those are good folks! We've commercial fished with them out of Whittier since the mid 80's. They've gotten into renting their boat out for research and for ski trips and are always willing to lend a hand.
    That could be it. I was a bit frazzled and could have mistaken the name. The boat fits that description. They seemed like great people. Do you happen to have any contact info for them? I would like to thank them for taking the time. PM me if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    Spoiled One where do you think you picked up the water from?
    Well, I know it did not come from the pump. I did not have any in the center tank it is all in the aft tank and there is too much for it to be condensation. I have my suspicions...I'll leave it at that.

Just back from Whittier as well. Did good on shrimp and got a 6 foot square blackie. Good times.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Water in gas

So, you saying you have an envious neighbor Spoiled One?

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    So, you saying you have an envious neighbor Spoiled One?

I wish it was just envy. Nothing I can prove.

We went out this weekend for the first time. Launched at low tide Friday night using the west ramp, the east ramp was busy and we wanted to take our time since it was the first.
    There wasnít much water or float but was able to jerk the boat off the trailer. I pulled the trailer up top and we motored over to an adjacent float so other could use the ramp.

Stayed at Goose bay Friday night then East Twine Bay on Perry Island Saturday. No luck fishing but had fun all the same.
    Will take my buddy out this weekend and try for some rock fish verity or butt if we can find a spot, itís a big Sound out there.
    Sure need help fishing this immense area, prospecting is slow. I know folks have their honey holes, but would sure appreciate some hints.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    We went out this weekend for the first time. Launched at low tide Friday night using the west ramp, the east ramp was busy and we wanted to take our time since it was the first.
    There wasnít much water or float but was able to jerk the boat off the trailer. I pulled the trailer up top and we motored over to an adjacent float so other could use the ramp.

Stayed at Goose bay Friday night then East Twine Bay on Perry Island Saturday. No luck fishing but had fun all the same.
    Will take my buddy out this weekend and try for some rock fish verity or butt if we can find a spot, itís a big Sound out there.
    Sure need help fishing this immense area, prospecting is slow. I know folks have their honey holes, but would sure appreciate some hints.
    Try prospecting around Crafton Island.

Did the annual shakedown cruise at Schwhittier on Sunday. Promising weather on the West side of the tunnel - gray on the Schwhittier side. No crowd at all to launch, dropped pots and headed out to Goose Bay for a picnic lunch. Everything worked great, new top on the back of the boat is SUWEET - thanks to Buster's . . I'll post pics later . . . All in all, a pretty enjoyable day. Oh yeah, the sun came out just as we pulled into the Schwittier harbor, capping off a pretty nice day. Take out was a zoo, with boats stacked up waiting to get in, the friggin' kayak taxis zipping in and disrupting the "conga line" as we tried to trailer the boats quickly and get the heck outa the way.

Only had a four hour soak, but still got 7 dozen shrimp - enough for the BBQ!

Homer next week and then back to Whittier for serious shrimpin' and 'but fishin' . . .

Cheers,
    SH

SH, what where you using for your shrimp bait.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default good question

What is the secret formula?

Default Secret Bait?

Not what I am using Talk to AkBighorn, he got over 1000 the 4 days we we down there and I right by him and only got aruond 300.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Was out this weekend too!!!

Left Saturday Morning, three boats behind you Spoiled One, I commented on the nice boat and asked you if you were having motor problems on the dock, you did mention you had some water in the lines, looks like you cleared it though. Saw you out in front of the harbor motoring out, then off you went, looked like it was running fine, sorry to hear about your troubles. Nice to know there are people out there to lend a helping hand.

Anyways, for the report, spent two days cruising Port Nellie Juan looking for blackies and doing a little shrimping. No luck on bears, still alot of snow out there, did see some tracks. The shrimping was good, dont normally count the shrimp, but couldnt help myself this time. I dropped two pots at a reliable spot and took 3 to try some new areas deeper in Port Nellie Juan, but they turned out to be duds, so went back to my old reliable spot and got about 90 on the two pots I dropped earlier, so I went ahead and dropped the other 3 and let them soak for an hour so I can eat them for dinner, I netted a whopping 120. I thought I hit the shrimp jackpot!!!! The next morning checked the pots did alright, but had an octupus in one. Well that was the end of my shrimp jackpot, cuz the rest of my checks on my spots went dead. Must be the Octopus. All in all, I caught a little over 300 of them.

what is the price of gas in Whittier at the dock now?
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast