Thread: fishing help needed...located in juneau

Default fishing help needed...located in juneau

My fiance and I both grew up in anti gun anti hunting/fishing households...We have been into shooting at the range for about a year now and are looking into fishing. I just got my license and a Calypso-SALMON RUN rod and reel combo (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7386369)

Now I PROMISE im not looking to glean anyones private awesome spots, I am just looking into how to set bait, cast effectively, etc...I have been reading on these forums and apparently learning from an experienced person is way better than "inventing the wheel". I am hoping there are a few people that could point us in the right direction if not give us a few tips. I dont have a skiff or anything so I will be doing my fishing from the shore. I am thinking about going out to the Auke Bay harbor tomorrow to try and fish off the pier. Would anyone be up for showing a couple newbies how to do some basic stuff? It doesnt need to be tomorrow mind you

if i was in there i would be happy to. you came to a great place to find all the help you need. welcome to the site. i hope your fishing goes well and after you hook your first it will hook you and you will be a fisherman for life. if your ever in anchorage or the area let me know i would love to take both of you fishing and show give you any help you may need. welcome aboard , jeff

Thank you very much Jeff,

I have been a forum member on the high road for a while and hope this forum is just as nice as them...so far you guys are :P

I first had fresh king salmon on my 2nd day here...i KNEW I had to have it again...it is equal to beef...and thats a lot coming from a former texan

hey joe i have some friends in texas that were up here a few years ago and had them out of whittier. rember to bleed your salmon as soon as you land it and the meet will be so much better then store bought.i came up here from san antonio in 1989, but i grew up in new york salmon fishing. on the east coast fish run in the winter,west coast in the summer, its so much nicer catching a king in short sleeves as compard to a snow suit. just wait... on your new experiences in the hunting and fishing experiences you will see how much more fufilling it is to catch and eat your own foods. keep in touch and let us know how all is going and post some pictures. jeff

Check in the Juneau Fishing 2008 Thread....You'll find most of the Juneau guys there....

I was trying to not private message a bunch of people over there...kind of hoping one would be up for helping me out without too much goading :P

Just saying if you posted in there they'd probably be more apt to see it

Default Juneau

Hello Joe,
    I am an avid shore-based sportfisher here in Juneau and would be happy to share local info.
    The current best option is for King Salmon at False Outer point, if your gear can handle those big fish (about 25 lb. test and a pretty stout rod). It's a long shot with 20+ people fishing off the rocks, most days a few kings are caught. If you were to hook one there, the local cameraderie would provide plenty of advice and someone probably would lend a hand to net it.

There are quite a few salmon fry along the shorelines now and usually by this time there would be plenty of dolly varden chasing them, but I think the cold temperatures or some other reasons have them still missing in action. But this could turn on real fast - be on the lookout for diving gulls or slashing fish along shorelines, usually near where water flows in.
    A couple of good spots are -behind the ADF&G headquarters just south of the douglas bridge, off the dock near DIPAC, or behind the GCI building where Salmon creek flows in. Or the other end of the channel where Fish creek and the Mendenhall flow into Fritz cove. Dollies fish best on low tides and it helps if you have waders or hip boots at some of these spots. Watch out the the TIDES!

The shorelines near Auke Rec. can be good. Be sure to read the regs for local closed areas.
    For dollies, silver colored narrow spoons like Kastmaster and Swedish Pimples work well.
    For learning how to land fish, you can't beat the pink salmon, which will come in around July.
    You could try calling me at home in the evenings at 586-3424.

You should read the ADF&G local guide: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Regio...jnu_nguide.cfm

-Vinnie

I went trolling near auke rec this morning with a neighbor. We were trolling near indian point or cove i believe is what he called it...didnt get any bites at all but he caught a king over there yesterday. I tried fishing from lena point but I kept getting my hooks stuck on the rocks so I decided against doing that till i get better. I have tomorrow off so I think I will go to the harbor and fish at the end of the pier. I hear that it is possible to catch a king over there. I will try and give you a call tomorrow as I have been up since 3:30am, fished till 8:30, then worked from 11am-7:30pm and I am pretty tuckered out.

You should call the fisheries dept at the Forest Service. They are pretty knowledgeable about local ops and it is part of their duties to help you out.
    789-6256 should get you somewhere.

quick bait question..I bought a buzz bomb...do I just use that and a hook? Or do I bait it with something too?