Thread: Prohunter .50?

Default Prohunter .50?

What types of groups are you getting and at what ranges with what loads?
    Im shooting 250grn shockwaves with 100 grn trip7 pellets. 100 yards 1" group and at 150 yards 5 in drop. (well its more like I first zeroed at 150 and shot at 100 and was 5" high, now zeroed at 100)

That's obviously a good load and gun combo. I've got an older Knight 54 cal that will come close to that group once in a while, but more typical is a couple of inches @ 100. I'm guessing on velocity, but the trajectory sounds about right. I'm guessing though, now that you're zeroed at 100, it's going to be more than 5" low at 150 simply because 5 @ 100 is a mid-range trajectory. Again, if my velocity guess it right, I'd expect it to be 8-10 low at 150 with the 100 yard zero.

Is that open sights or scoped? I am assuming scoped but hey you could be an eagle eye. One inch at 100 yards it a good shooting gun no matter if muzzleloader of center fire.
    I just got my best two shots this saturday, both in the bull at fifty yards with open sights.
    I will have to post a pic (if I can figure it out).

My pro hunter is a good shooter also. I just used xtp 45 cal bullets for the most part, but found that it grouped hornady great plains bullets good as well. I cant remember the exact groups I was getting, but I remembered they were pretty impressive.

I have 4 T/C muzzleloaders that shoot great. Only the .32 cal is kind of picky but it shoots its favorite load real well.

I put a scope on that I had off a previous rifle sale, a simmons prosport 3-9x40. I was really hoping to use it here (ND) for Mule deer because the muzzleloader tag is any unit, but you cant hunt mulies with a front stuffer and you cant have 1x scopes either. So ill have to put it to the test in ol VT in Dec.

Why cant you hunt mule deer with a Muzzleloader?

I really count tell yah, makes as much cense as only being able to use a 1x scope. This is what the ND F&G says Muzzleloader "Restricted to antlered or antlerless white-tailed deer only as described on license." and when you put in for the lottery there are only two options whitetail antlered or antlerless whitetail. Seems how I have some bad luck (hunting) and am not the greatest hunter I will almost be wasteing my time if I try to Bow hunt Mulies. I might decide to waste a tank or two of gas and give it whirl though. Who knows maybe ND is afraid of Jim Shockey taking a record Mule deer buck.

Default great accuracy with 150 grs triple 7

I Shoot An Encore 50 Cal Also With Shockwaves 250, Only I Stuff It With 3 Pellets Of Triple 7, Great Groups. Use On Whitetails All The Time. 3" High @ 100 Dead On @ 150 6.5 Low @ 200 . Deadly Hunting Rig :d

Quote Originally Posted by 10PTBUCK View Post
    I Shoot An Encore 50 Cal Also With Shockwaves 250, Only I Stuff It With 3 Pellets Of Triple 7, Great Groups. Use On Whitetails All The Time. 3" High @ 100 Dead On @ 150 6.5 Low @ 200 . Deadly Hunting Rig :d
    The 3 pellets you use are they 50 grain pellets, i might have to try that to get better range. Whats the recomended max powder charge for 250 grn bullet.

150 grains is max charge for the pro hunter, regardless of weight of bullet

Sounds good, I bet it packs a wallop.