Thread: Coaching a new shooter.

Default Coaching a new shooter.

The wife and I got up early and headed to the range. I wanted to give her some more trigger time with the new Remington Alaska TI in 270 WSM. At first the muzzle jump was too much for her, so off to Mag-na-port to have it tamed. Shoots like a dream now. Anyway she was having a hard time getting used to the loading and the action. She had been hunting with my old Remington pump .308 she now thinks of it as her rifle. So her groups were all over the target. Within 6 inches of center but no groups. I noticed this last trip as well, so this time I loaded up about 100 rounds of Remington 22-250. I have a SPS with the bull barrel and it is a joy to shoot. I set the trigger to match her rifle and set her up and let her shoot about 50 rounds. I coached her on the loading and how to cycle the action and the other fundamentals. I watched in the spotting scope as her groups got better and better. Her last few shoots could be covered with a dime. I then had her line back up on target with her 270 WSM she then put the next 3 rounds in the bullseye. She was able to learn how to shoot the 22-250 without worrying about the recoil. When she picked up the 270 she just did the same thing. Was very proud of her. We are headed off to Valdez soon to chase Black Bears. I feel confident that she can get the job done with her NEW rifle.
    Remington 22-250 Groups

Remington 700 A TI 270 WSM target at 100 yards.

Steve

Thumbs up Good on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ... I coached her on the loading and how to cycle the action and the other fundamentals. I watched in the spotting scope as her groups got better and better. Her last few [shots] could be covered with a dime. ...
    That is so rewarding. For both the shooter and the coach.

Tell your wife the weirdos on the forums say congratulations!

Thumbs up

Good coaching methods and temperment...well done. It is really fun and rewarding to coach a new shooter. I'm sure we have all seen poor coaching in our lives, e.g., yelling, pressured performance, frustration (shooter and coach), etc. The result of poor coaching can be a new shooter who is turned off to the activity from that day forward.

Have a safe and fun trip...I think there is a bear in trouble in PWS.

Got a message about this old thread. I had forgot about it, but the wife did get a great bear that trip to Valdez and got another the following year. Then she got a grizzly, she has her sights on a big ole Brownie next. I'm proud to say that she can get it done all by herself and that I trust her aim to be true.

I always have her shoot a few rounds when we get to the campsite. Not bad at all, I think she is ready.

Her first Blackie

This last years Blackie

Her Grizzly

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

That's so cool...great epilogue.

It's come full circle.

This is a great thread,
    my wife is showing the first glimmers of interest in going along on some of our hunts lately. So stuff like this really applies.
    She was raised by a hunting Father, killed her first Deer with one shot in HS days, but has not hunted since
    She has mentioned the pressure to "Shoot, Shoot it now !" when she was having trouble finding the animal in her scope (I am imagining the power was set too high kind of thing may have been cause) and she has never showed interest since

Now as she has two sons and myself, and we will be doing quite a bit of hunting throughout the coming years.
    Then, lately, as I have been showing her pics of Stid's wife Flor, and Lanche's wife Becca with successful hunt stories, I can see some interest in "Runnin' with the Girls"
    Ramhunters wife with a Muskox and really nice Sheep really caught her admiration, and I am noticing a change.

So I Planned on having her use a .270wsm first as it seems "really easy" to me, but want to be really careful with her first in a long while shooting experience.

Good Post Stid, think I'll go .243 first, Any other ideas from guys who have intro'd or Reintroduced their wives to the Joys of Shooting?

She's been up to her elbows in blood and meat her whole life so no problem with the Harvest part, but she's kinda small, so I think the Boom and Kick part is what I am most leery of.....
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

COOL steve.. kimberly has only shot 3 of ours... the first time out was with my 300 winny... 1st shot went top left of target.. second shot 2 inches left of bulls...

next 10 2inch group on the bull.. she looked at me said... HA.. Guess i can shoot.. LOL had only shot her ex's .38 a couple times prior..

she has a nice new .308 with Hunt_Ak custom on it... and she STILL TAKES MY 300.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

KR, I think the .243 would be a great choice for your Mrs. I started Flor out with a .243 when I first got her into hunting.

Here is a photo of her first harvest. She sure has came a long way, have to say that I'm very proud of her.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Well KR Here is another Pic I never get tired of sharing:

My wife getting it done with her 308 Ruger M77mkII Compact. If I had any recommendation as far as getting a s/o into shooting it would be to get her a rifle that is "Hers". We went to Chimo Guns in the valley and the owners son in law showed her a the little 308 and she fell in love with the darn thing. I took her to the range and let her put a few down the pipe. It was clear that the bad boy was no where near "on paper" so I just let her put 1/2 a box in the dirt to get a feel for the recoil. A few days later I grabbed it and went out and sighted it in on my own. If I had it to do again I would sight the rifle in for her in advance of the first outing but honestly she just really wanted to shoot it pretty much the second we walked out of the gun shop. Next outing she was blowing the center out of 3" clays as fast as I could hang them up at 100 yards. She may be too confident in that little rifle, she killed her first moose with a 65yard offhand shot to the spine at the base of the skull.

The compact rifles aren't for everyone, but for my 5'3" wife it is a perfect fit. The biggest factors in getting mine out there were her own rifle that was specifically set up to fit her, and she drew a cow tag. The want of meat and the fact that she legally had to be the one to shoot it sealed the deal and she got over any issues with killing stuff. Dug right in to the butchering too!

Her rifle didn't make it into the pic but it is a blued/walnut rifle w/ a cheap scope. I will probably ship it out for a black ice coating one of these days and it will get a new Zeiss scope this year. This year she is in the draw for everything from Elk to Sheep so she is committed!

Good Thread! New shooters should always be "brought" along from smaller calibers to larger at their pace. As men we sometimes rush things and that is a good way to turn the new shooter off for sure.
    I also found many / most have limited knowledge of terms we use all the time and it pays to take time and explain things out thoroughly and not just assume they understand stuff like hold over, follow thru, etc...
    243's are such a great gun to start with for sure, I have a browning micro 243 and it is so sweet for smaller framed shooters...
    Randy
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....