Thread: 9.8 Tohatsu kicker for 20' Wooldridge xtra+

Default 9.8 Tohatsu kicker for 20' Wooldridge xtra+

I picked up a 20' Wooldridge xtra plus river boat last year with a 200hp Yamaha 2 stroke jet. It did not come with a kicker; I don't think the previous owner used one on it.

I want to add a kicker for backup, trolling, getting it back on the trailer, and possibly dipnetting in the Kenai since I can no longer fish in July while it is being propelled by the 2 stroke main engine.

The 9.8 Tohatsu with the 25" shaft appears to be about the best choice from my limited knowledge and research so far. AK Power Sports has one in stock at a reasonable price so I would not have to order from out of state.

Is the Tohatsu a reasonable choice for my intended use or should I explore other options? Any feedback and experience will be appreciated!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Yamaha T8

Look in past posts on "kicker" there was a good one that led me to buy a Yamaha T8. Highly suggest full remote control for ease of use with a separate portable tank so bad fuel in main does not tank both engines. Look at my recent "Wooldridge 2000 Sport modifications" post for pictures of my install including remote control cable routing. You need the 25" long shaft, otherwise you must install a welded or bolt on kicker bracket or jack plate for several hundred dollars and it will not sit nearly as clean and accessible as it will on the main transom.

Default Tohatsu 9.8 kicker

I couldn't find the post for the Yamaha T8 - even the advanced search engine leaves a lot to be desired or I am missing something in using it.

I did find the pictures - lots of neat modifications esp. the suspension seat. Since mine is primarily a riverboat the wear and tear on the captains bottom would be appreciated.

The extra long shaft appears to offer many advantages over the brackets- I 'm sold on that feature. I wish they made motors larger than the 9.9s with the 25" shaft but I guess it puts too much stain on the mount.

Also on my wish list is the ability to just control the throttle from the wheel - the steering is easy enough to rig - and still keep the tiller so I could take the motor off and use it on another boat. I'll have to figure out if I can do this. I don't need the electric start etc. from the wheel position.

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    Look in past posts on "kicker" there was a good one that led me to buy a Yamaha T8. Highly suggest full remote control for ease of use with a separate portable tank so bad fuel in main does not tank both engines. Look at my recent "Wooldridge 2000 Sport modifications" post for pictures of my install including remote control cable routing. You need the 25" long shaft, otherwise you must install a welded or bolt on kicker bracket or jack plate for several hundred dollars and it will not sit nearly as clean and accessible as it will on the main transom.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK