Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut leader help needed

Default Halibut leader help needed

Well after many years of wanting to visit Alaska its finally on. i am heading up in July of 2009 for 15 days. I am very excited and cant wait. I am looking for some Halibut leader material to tie up some rigs to keep me busy. I am looking for some 200 or 250lb superbraid line and all i can find it in is 300yrd spools. 25yrds is all i need. Does anyone know where i can buy it in small amounts? Thanks for your help guys!

Go to Ebay and you will find all you need there. I bought a whole spool of 250lb really cheap.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default superbraid for leaders

from what i understand braided line does not make a very good leader material especially when a braided line is also used as a mainline due to the low stretch. if you were to hook into a really big fish you may be supceptable to line breakage if you dont have some stretch in there somewhere. most use braided line as a mainline and a flourocarbon leader as a "shockcord" for them brutal cross there eyes hooksets, unless you are going to be bait fishing with circles. also as thin as braided line is it would not hold up well against big halibut teeth. of course i am only suggesting but i think you will be better off with some very heavy mono or flourocarbon for leader material.

Default Green Cord

Me and my buddies all use (all the charter boat captains use this too) this green cord. you can find it at b&j's in Anchorage. It is much cheaper than buying super braid line and it holds up very well to the teeth of a big halibut or lingcod.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Halibut Leader

This guy http://www.halibut.net/ sells the leader and a lot of other stuff for halibut fishing. I bought a few things on-line from him and it came in about a week and a half.

Pat

Default What knot

Guys thanks for all the help! I just ordered some from Halibut.net and would like to know what kind of knot you guys use to tie the hook on. I fish a ton in Minnesota but have no idea how to tie line that thick to a hook. Thanks again Guys!

Default gangion

stop at a commercial fishing store and pick up some halibut gagnion, 200lb test should work. usually they carry pre-cut sections which you can get pretty cheap.

Default palomar knot

try a palomar knot, works great

the gagnion line is the best for me. what i usually do is tie an overhand knot and slip the hook on and another overhand knot for the big swivel. i always soak my gagnion line in herring oil for added attraction. you can buy a whole roll for about $15.00. I then run my weight on a heavy slider on the line. Alot of folks run the weight on the gagnion line but i find it a bit too close to the working end with a fish on.

oopps I mean't gagnion line.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by kjashen View Post
    stop at a commercial fishing store and pick up some halibut gagnion, 200lb test should work. usually they carry pre-cut sections which you can get pretty cheap.
    I agree I tie a swivel and a clip on both ends and put a loop in the midle and put the circle hook on the loop and a lead on one swivle and the other end too the main line. the heavy stiff line works best. and a chunk of humpy for bait.

Guys i cant find any gagnion line any where on line. does anyone know of any places i can order some. I would rather go with 200lb than 350lb line. thanks again guys!

go to BC Commercial on C street and Northern Lights. They have everything for your fishing pleasure. Ask for Mike or Tom.

this Gagnion line we're talking about is what the commercial longliners use for halibut. They have a baited circle hook on a piece of line and they clip it to a longline as it goes overboard.

Default leader

use 150lb florocarbon

I live in Minnesota so i am hosed for getting any around here!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I live in Minnesota so i am hosed for getting any around here!

I heard the Mid West Halibut fishery has fallen on hard times.

if you can give b&j commercial a call, they have a wealth of information and supplies to help you get set up right. heres there information
    http://www.bjsalaskaoutfitters.com/commercial.html
    the guys here should be able to help with almost everything you need.jeff
    they do bush orders so i think they should be able to ship it to you

Guys thanks for all your help!

JHC, guys you gotta spell it right, gangion line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast