Thread: Floating upper Kenai questions - Cataraft or Raft

Default Floating upper Kenai questions - Cataraft or Raft

I will be in the Cooper Landing Area 9/2-9/9. There will be 4 of us - one my 68 yr father. We have booked to float the upper Kenai with an outfitter on 9/3. But we are looking into renting a floating platform ourselves for the rest of week. What is a good choice ? A cataraft or raft ? Is it possible to rent a cataraft capable of seating a rower with 3 others seated ? Also we will have only a 29ft RV as transportation up and down road along river to shuttle ourselves and the boat. Is this possible/practicle ?. Are there shuttle operations available that would pick us up at Kenai Princess RV park with the raft, run us up river to a put in and then pick us up at end of day and return to RV park ? IS there raft rentals in the Cooper Landing area ? Thanks for any help ?
    Dave Redding

you will all be more comfortable in a raft because you can all shift around and move abit. A cat will have everyone stuck in the same seat all day. i'd recommend a 16fter for 4 people but 14ft wouldn't be too bad either for a day trip...just a little tight.

can't help with shuttle info.

Default upper Kenai float

I don't know/think there is any place to rent a raft in Cooper Landing, but you can rent one at Alaska Raft and Kayak in Anchorage. For a shuttle, you can use Wildmans taxi, I think the rate is about $35.00/shuttle. You could also wing it and just catch a ride with someone at the take-out (Jim's Landing). This is usually easy to do.

Default Kenai river raft rentals

I have rafts for rent in Sterling, that is about 35 miles from the Kenai lake bridge. we Also do shuttles, but we have trailers that you can tow behind your RV. We can do either shuttle you , or rent you the raft and trailer.
    Max

Max,
    what type raft would you put the four of us in and for how much a day ?

Default Raft sizes

A 14 foot white water raft, with a big horn style frame. (I build my own) It comes with two intergrated coolers to store your stuff and keep it out of the weather.
    10 foot Sawyer oars.
    The cost for the Raft and Trailer combo is $100.00 for a one night and two day rental.
    If you want us to shuttle you. The Shuttle will be $130.00 total for the drop off at Kenai lake and the Pickup at Jims landing. The day rate for the Raft would be $75.00 so for the one day raft and shuttle combo, it would be $205.00.
    or just come by and get the raft and trailer and save about a 100 bucks.
    Either way we can help you out.
    we also do shuttles anywhere along the lower river from Skilak to Eagle rock. I know that Wildman does alot of the upper river shuttles and his prices are pretty good because he is right their in Cooper landing.
    We will shuttle your Drift boats or rafts or kayak/canoes anywhere on the kenai. Lately we have been doing a lot of shuttles for guides needing their drift boat rigs taken from Lower Skilak to Bings landing. This is getting to be a very popular Rainbow and salmon fishing area for the drifters. We have taken several times in the last few weeks a guide that is working the river for trout, and Salmon from Moose river to Swift water.
    Any way,,, lots of river out there and you can catch those 25 inch plus Rainbows anywhere along the above mentioned drifts.
    Max

Max do I need to make a reservation now and can you give me your local number.

Dredding,

I did it a few weeks back, from Cooper Landing bridge, to Skilak Lake (had a motor on the back), in a Aire Leopard - an 18' Cataraft. It was myself and one other person. Since I own the thing, I guess I am partial to it, but with the seat posts and Fish On seats, I can't imagine a raft being any more comfortable. The seats swivel, there is plenty of room, and due to the size, it is pretty stable. That was my first time doing that float, and it was GREAT. For comfort and stability, I would definitely consider a cataraft.

Default Shuttle service

I have used Shannon at shuttlebug, she is located in Cooper Landing and it cost me about $30 to shuttle my pickup from Kenai bridge to Jim's Landing. Her number is 907-598-1844. Good luck fishing!

-Bob