Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bay Weld Boats

Default Bay Weld Boats

Hello

I was curious if anyone on here owned a Bay Weld? If so how do you like it? I would like to hear some real world info on the Sport Live Aboard if anyone has any.

I did a search and it came up empty.

Thanks,

Justin

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default never heard of them

but it looks like a nice boat. there website dosent give up much info, would be nice to see some specs. i wonder how there prices compare to other local builders like glacier craft.

http://www.bayweldboats.com/sport_liveaboard.html

heres a link to the live aboard.

Default Bay weld

Rain, if you get to Homer walk the docks. The state has a 32 or so footer with twin 225 Etecs. A beautiful ride. I'm sure there are others in the harbor also. I like the Bay Weld, and the 33' Gulf Explorer. All it takes is money.

Alan Builds One Of The Best Boats Around... I Have Been On Four Of Them And Love All Of Them... They Have Proven Themselves Both Pleasure And Charter Fishing...

Default Bayweld

I had Allen take me for a ride on one of his 32ft Bay Welds and all I can say was it was the best aluminium boat that I have ever been on. I would have purchased the boat but the inside layout was not what I wanted. I tried to get one built but he was all full up for the winter of 06 spring of 07. The boat I went on was the Pogo it had twin Volvo D-4 260 Hp motors.

I have a 25 ft Bay Weld Sport Walk Around. I have been running the boat the last four seasons in Kachemak Bay, Seward and PWS. We use the boat for family boat camping trips.

Some quick boating background information. We have owned two boats during our 10 years of power boating, an open Tolman Widebody skiff and the Bay Weld.

This boat has allowed us to expand our trip options for two main reasons.

First the house on the Bay Weld allows for getting to the camping destination, we camp on the beach, in comfort and less stress by being out of the weather. The boat was originally built for someone down in Homer as a day boat, equipped with a Dickinson propane heater, bench seats, etc. This works for our style of trip since we don't sleep on the boat.

Second the hull desgin of the Bay Weld is a true ocean design - chine shelves, deep vee 18 degree dead rise, nice shear lines, self-bailing decks for handling rough water. In similar water conditions, 3-4' chop, I would run our Tolman, 8 degree dead rise, at 8- 10 mph and I run the Bay Weld at 18- 20 mph. This boat in my humble opinion has increased the safety aspect of our our trips without a doubt.

Before I bought this boat used, I met Allen at his shop and looked at a 26' hull being built to check out the structural layout of the hull. I liked what I saw in how the support components of the hull were layed out. My boat is 9 years old this year and has had no cracked welds or metal fatigue on the boat. I have averaged between 20-30 days a season since I have had the boat. Also, we put our boat on and off the beach all the time.

Negatives for the boat are the deap vee requires trim tabs and more attention by the operator when on step. A dog or child walking around on deck can heel the boat over and require trim adjustments. The boat is compartmentalized under the self bailing deck in 4' segments. In theory I can puncture a compartment and the vessel will still float. There are no bilge pumps on the boat. I obviously have not tested this theory.

I have been very happy with the Bay Weld and it has fit our boating style really well. Give Allen a call and talk to him as he is very approachable and knowledgable. He has spent his adult life around boats and has a good idea of what works and what doesn't work. Plus he has built a lot of boats.

Thanks for all the info.

I am going to try to make it to thier shop to take a look at thier current build next week.

Default Bay Weld build

Here's a photo of me on "Skookum", the 27-foot BayWeld Allen and Eric Engebretsen are building me this winter. I was able to fly down to Homer to look it over when I was in Anchorage 2 weeks ago. We are looking forward to christening Skookum during the Homer Winter King derby in March!

Attachment 21341

Default Nice Boat

Cliffhanger,
    Think she might need just a tad bit more pwr ? It looks very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Here's a photo of me on "Skookum", the 27-foot BayWeld Allen and Eric Engebretsen are building me this winter. I was able to fly down to Homer to look it over when I was in Anchorage 2 weeks ago. We are looking forward to christening Skookum during the Homer Winter King derby in March!

Attachment 21341

Attachment 21341
    Where's the electra dyne going?? You did get one from me didn't you???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Question What???

I'm still waiting for my Electradyne, Steve. Where we at on that deal????

Default Skookum

The BayWeld guys put that crudded up kicker, pulled from a crab pot, on the stern and before I got a first look at the boat told me that they thought "I needed to rethink the power unit" on my new boat. I was anxious about it until I got a look at the boat in the shop. then I fell over laughing (boatbuilder's joke).

Steve, the E-D pot puller is going on the davit they are building me....

Attachment 21341
    Nice! Skookum looks darn near like perfection in an ocean boat of that size.

What are you planning on powering it with?

Default Power/ etc.

I've got a Honda 225 hp as the main unit and a Tohatsu 9.8 hp for the kicker with a Pow'rTran ram running the steering on the kicker.

Overall length on this boat is JUST under 27 feet. It's a walk-thru style configuration with a door in the windshield, so I can get to the bow easily. Other amenities include Espar heater, Raymarine radar/gps/depthfinder, onboard head, and of course, Electra-Dyne pot puller from Steve...

Cliffhanger -

How are they on the time to build? Unfortunately, most of the local builders I have heard people talk about (like Glacier Craft) promise a build time then are 12-18 months late. Has Bayweld met your expectations in this regard?

I can handle the boat taking time to build, I'd rather have it done right than have it rushed, but I hate being lied to....

Default Build time

It's been slower than they said it would be, but I will have it by the end of February. That's means a build time of about 8 months...

Alan and Eric know their stuff. I'm a fiberglass guy, but if I had to have aluminum, it would be a BayWeld. I've never seen a better planing, or tougher aluminum hull.

Baywelds' downside is that typically they have a very practical interior. Not a lot of fancy woodwork or frills. And this suites most Alaskan users just fine, but do NOT expect a Coastal Craft interior - and even if you DID want to pay for one, I'm not sure they could produce.

My dream is to have Alan and Eric build me a 36' landing craft with twin Doen Jet power. Then that would be the hunting/play/work boat, then you have the fiberglass family cruiser.

Default Skookum's Interior

I agree with your comment on their interiors, but what I am looking for is a VERY practical utilitarian boat that will be easy to keep up. Their are a few nice touches inside, like the Pergo ceiling, and some oak trim. But I'm not even having them put doors on the few cabinet/storage areas because I know passengers will just knock them off the hinges.

And Skookum means: strong, practical, reliable....

I have seen your thread on looking for a kayak tender for your new Bay Weld. I thought I would show how our Bay Weld is setup for carrying our kayak to give you some food for thought since your boat is still in the building phase.

Allen built a rack on top of the house out of 1" tubing. I found that the Yakima rack accessories will fit the 1" tubing. So I went with a Yakima kayak rack to carry our 13' Wilderness System Pamlico Tandem kayak.
    The kayak rack holds the kayak more securly than just strapping the kayak to the 1" tubing. On a few occasions I have travelled from Anchorage to Whitter with the kayak already loaded onto the boat, normally I carry the kayak on the truck when travelling down the highway. No issues with the kayak shifting in the rack going down the highway at 55 mph.

Our setup does require two people to load the kayak on the boat. The rollers that Yakima makes could potentially allow the loading of a kayak to be managed by one person.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Kayak rack

Thanks Doug.
    Eric, Allen's son and shop manager, recommended a Malone kayak rack that will hold any kayak I purchase in a vertical position, and that's what I bought to have installed. Eric is installing it on blocks to allow a longer-than 8 foot kayak to sit above the radar arch/hand rail...

Is your BayWeld a landing craft? More photos?!

jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast