Thread: Anyone have experience growing strawberries

Default Anyone have experience growing strawberries

in hanging baskets? Any suggestions?

They will grow fine a variety that sends out sucker may need to be cut back more as gravity will encourage them to grow down reaching for soil and they will require more water in fairbanks almost daily when hot is ok provided your basket drains freely.

What would be nice is several baskets with suckers going between them forming one large strawberry planty try it see if it works you may start a trend hey I grow kiwi outside up here

Kiwis Rdrash? You have to explain because I'm curious! What do you do with them in the winter?

Barleydog do you ever do any hardwater fishing?

Kiwi's are pretty hardy this is the second year for mine I took it off of a female I will have to get a male in order to form fruit although I don't think they ripen, the female is definalty more hardy than the male as the female I propagated this from is about 20' tall and will double that spread in the summer before dying back durning winter while two males have been planted loosing the first and the second only being about 6' tall.

I brought it from anchorage to the valley last fall so to see if it would make it I left in a one gallon pot and left it out exsposed all winter long then in april brought it in soaked it and placed it some light it formed buds so I think it will make it.

as I understand it is like some types of clemantis and will not go real crazy with the vining and growth untill it has established a good root system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hard water...... ME?????? Surely you have me mixed up with some other knothead from Fairbanks who rambles about sitting on a bucket at -20!

I see what your saying about the kiwi. If your potted plant made it through the winter outside in the pot, then I'd say that's pretty hardy! You'll have to keep me posted on this years progress vs. root production. I'm not sure if they'd make it up here, but Clemantis do ok, so who knows! Good to see someone experimenting with something different.

Default hey rdash

Hey there it is me the hydrangea freak! I have a friend who has the kiwi's he has like five of them. they are doing well for being planted in heavy shade and i don't know that he takes real special care of them or anything. they are about 12' tall but not real bushy as of yet. Could be the shade

akrascal I didn't mean to hijack your thread, I did mean to reply!!

I witnessed a friend of mine who used one of those upside down bags with annual strawberries. He kept them well hydrated and full of food resulting in decent, but not fantastic yeilds last year. Worth a try I guess.

No problem BarleyDog, I've found the kiwi discussion to be of interest too.

Quote Originally Posted by AkRascal View Post
    in hanging baskets? Any suggestions?
    I'm really late in replying, and mine grow in containers on my deck, and with a drip irrigation system, but they are doing great.

You can watch them grow at http://wulik.com/webcam.htm

Whoa, that's way cool, I've bookmarked your page and will keep track of your progress.. going to be tuff when those strawberries are about ready to eat. My mouth is watering already.