Thread: atv vs. utv

Default atv vs. utv

I currently have a Suzuki King Quad and have been thinking about getting a UTV. I ride with my 7 year old son and he is getting kind of big to ride on the ATV with me. My choice would be to get a 2 person ATV or a UTV. What are the practical differences? I like the idea of hauling more stuff with the UTV and the comfort. I wonder how they will perform on rocky/narrow trails and how top heavy they are. We do about 1/2 our riding on easy stuff like Eklutna and Petersville, with the other 1/2 on more challenging rocky/muddy/steep stuff.

If you made the switch please let me know the good and the bad.
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Practical differences.

My UTV experience in limited to the ranger

Fuel capacity-9gal @10-11mpg. My ranger has rom for 2 adults and a 3 year old with the full bench seat. Excellent storage capacity under the seat. I have all my emergency stuff packed in it. Bungee set, 8x10 tarp, tire kit, water purifier, jetboil, 3 mtn house meals. 6 bottles of water, plus theres room for 2 sets of rain ge\ar, my fleece pullover and a gore-tex shell jacket. You have the bed of course, plenty of room for gear, killer towing capacity as well.

Ive got 70 miles on in 1 week going all over king river trails and b-29 without a hitch. Ive scraped a few rocks here n there but thats to be expected. I put a winch on 450$ cheaper than polaris could.

Accessories aren't cheap, but if your thrifty and mechanical things can be made. Im pokin around seein who in town can bend me up a roof.

Ive owned atv's but Im sold on the UTV. I love it. The cup holders are awesome too. I climbed b-29 without spilling a drop.

Only drawback Ive come across is leg room but I'm 6'4 so my calf tends to tighten up but afer a few rides its better. the gas pedal can be touchy going over rocky terrain but there is an aftermaket spring for it but its just a minor thing.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I looked at the same thing, but went with the two up ATV. I got a 2 up 800 Can Am Outlander Max. You cannot haul around as much, it's cheaper, it's much much faster and maneuverable. I can take it places the UTV cannot go, as it is much narrower, but by the same token, I have a harder time avoiding ATV ruts. All in all I wanted a sportier ride and still haul two. I've had mine up to 70 before the shimmy got to me. My son and I have a blast, my daughter it scares the hell out of. She's getting over that. My wife enjoys driving and riding it. It really depends on your priorities. I am very happy with my choice, so far.

We are a split Rhino 660 and Grizzly 700 family. The Rhino is all about going in comfort. Goes the same places as the Grizzly without issue. Size is not that much bigger. Saw some rangers out on the trail and they were having a tough time because they are much wider. After a day in the Rhino you are not sore, and it works well with the kids. The ATV on the other hand can wear you out on the same trails. I had my doubts on the UTV, but after owning one it is the caddy of the trail. Not to mention you can take it all with you and not worry about where you are going to put your cooler. If you have kids you will probably want to change out the stock seat belt for a 5 pt harness. The stock seat belts are junk. I have the 5pt and the kids are very secure when riding with me in the rhino. Just plan on getting aftermarket stuff with the UTV. They don't come equipped as well as the 4-wheelers in terms of skid plates. Also you will probably want to throw on some better tires. Many things you can do, but don't have any fear about the UTV. I feel more comfortable pointing it uphill than I do the Grizzly. The low CG makes hills easy. As a comparison point I get about 16 mpg on my 7 gallon tank. Good for a 100 miles of riding the rhino without refill. If you get a used model before the EFI plan on getting a CDI. I have the Tri-fire CDI in my Rhino and it will run 50 mph if you need to. Not really an issue as we seldom feel like bouncing around at more than 35 mph. Only a few places you would want to open it up that much. Basically good low range grunt and a great ride. Just make sure you have a winch as you will not be picking up the Rhino. That is the one drawback- this thing is heavy. Good luck with your choice. I like my Rhino, and I own both an ATV and a UTV.

We have been using rangers at bear camp for a number of years and at first I thought they were a joke, until I actually seen them perform. I'm sold on the UTV's. On the first trip, we were going through a big mudhole and I was going pretty good with my polaris 400, I happen to look back and the ranger was about to run over me.

To get to our spotting hill, you have to side hill and its steep, with a sudden left turn going straight up. I was curious how it would do. not a hic-up. tight trees kill them though.

I am kinda in the market for 2 new machines for me and the better half, but I think I'm gonna keep our old 4 wheelers and buy a UTV. I'm sold.

Thumbs up UTV

The Polaris Ranger is a great machine; I love the side by side. The carrying capacity is amazing. With good tires and common sense they will get you most places. Just my $.02, I will not ever by an ATV again.

Default UTV

I recently bought the 2008 arctic cat 700 efi (4 stroke). Put on a set of 30" ITP tires on along with a 2" lift, a 4500# winch. Got the soft top and doors along with a soft canopy to keep things dry. I only have 4 hrs. on it but am sold on it. There's draw backs to anything you buy, but my wife and I love it. I also bought a pull behind trailer for hunting. Thats where the real test will come in .love the cup holders for the pop!!

Default Ranger reliability

Can we get some feedback from Ranger XP owners regarding reliability and whether belts get wet crossing rivers?

Thanks.

Smile The Ranger is impressive.

I ride a '07 Suzuki KQ 700. Last Fall, one guy our hunting party brought his Ranger. All I can say is: It made a believer out of me.

Here are some of my observations:

• Takes bumpy trails with ease...suprisingly well ...even when hauling *****.
    • Quiet, the twin cylinders and the exhaust system was very quiet in relation to my KQ, and the Hondas others in out party were were driving. You can hear the single cylinders "thumping" from quite a distance but the Ranger is almost on top of you before you hear it.
    • My buddy and I bushwacked out to a spike camp and took a moose. We couldn't manage hauling the meat out with trailers. The Ranger arrived and we loaded ALL the meat into the cargo bed. On the way out I flipped the KQ but the Ranger made it the entire way, loaded to the gills. I was sold!
    • One drawback, the cab (if you enclose it) can get a bit toasty. It also seems noisy...but only in the cab as from a distance it's much quieter than any other (non-modified) ATV I've ever heard.
    • Front and rear quick disconnects for the winch are a handy option. However, when you bury this rig be sure to bring a lunch... and an extra ATV (or two) to help with extraction.
    I'm seriously looking at purchasing a Ranger.

Default Ranger

Was this the 4 or 6 wheel Ranger???

Thumbs up Lots of water never been wet

I have been in lots of water & the belt has never got wet. Like with anything you have to know the limitations.

Default One Word

ARGO! Just amazing and fun. Not as fast as any of the others, no suspension except for the low pressure tires, and spendy to get. IMHO the 8x8's are the only one worth looking at.

But they will go places like no other............slow and rough........oh yeah and LOUD. They keep going and going and..............

I have ownd 3 rangers to date. None of them have ever leaked water to the belt. I cross some major rivers in mine...They will go in as deep as the top of the hood for as long as you want to go.I have the six wheel version...its amazing where it will go. If you drive it right you wont hardly ever get stuck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had a similar experience to the other guys on becoming a believer in UTV's. Going out to my cabin, a buddy brought his Rhino, and I had my Foreman 400. He suggested we take the "swamp" trail, and I looked at him like he was crazy. There was no way that heavy thing was going to make it through the muskeg. Next thing I know, while I'm crossing a deep area with my legs on the back rack, he goes to the right in a worse area, and gets stuck. I laughed until he reached over and put it in 4x4, and walked right out of it. (I wouldn't have made the first mile in 2wd with the Foreman- if it even had that option)

Since then, the Foreman is parked, and I went and got a Rhino 450. Havent ridden the Foreman since last fall.
    Also got a set of tracks for it... does pretty good in the snow, but I'm not going to risk breaking them in the mud/rocks.

On a side note, my military unit just got a pair of Rangers that we took out on the back 40 of Ft. Rich. The Rhino IMO is FAR superior to the Ranger in terms of mud performance. The Ranger seemed to be really nose heavy and "dives" into the mud alot more.