Thread: Good all around Alaska hunting rifle

Question Good all around Alaska hunting rifle

I am looking to purchase a new rifle and was wondering what would be the best all around Caribou/Moose rifle. I am also looking for scope recomendations for the rifle as well. I mostly bird hunt but with the price$$ of things I think I need to target some bigger animals. Thanks.

Ron

Ron,check out the"one rifle for alaska"thread below yours a ways.

til later

Default rifle

I would say a 30-06 and a Leupold scope. That's what I have and its great. Alot of people think you need those bigger caliber rifles like the 325 and 338 or even the 375 but if your shot placement is on you don't have to have those larger rifles.

Default Cost of Meat

For an all around rifle, I would suggest a 300 WSM. In fact I would recommend that the rifle be a Savage Model 16 (Weather Warrior). It's a very accurate, "plain Jane" rifle that will serve you well. I have Leupold scopes on my rifles.

That said, I would look "long & hard" at the actual expenses of wild meat versus what you can buy at a discount grocery store. By the time you have figured in cost of rifle, equipment, ammo, fuel, & time hunting - the game meat might not seem like such a great deal. In fact, if you truely want cheap meat - you might consider a second job (in place of hunting time) and a trip to a local grocery store. Of course I don't know where you live so I'm assuming you live where these are possible.

For me - hunting is my "golf, tennis, or whatever". The hunts are fairly expensive but the meat is "free". But then, who has a hobby that actually makes a profit?

Default Rifle

You Can't go wrong with a 300wm!! from wolf to Brown bear,Moose,Bou,blackie's,Goat,sheep..The best all around gun in my eyes! I have many other guns but the one I grab the most out of my safe is yes the 300wm With 4x12x50mm VX3 Leoupold scope...Just my opinion

I agree with reilly, a 300 wm with a Leupold scope on top. I personally have a Remington 700 BDL with VariX III 3.5-10x50mm scope. It is my favorite for big game. Have fun shopping.

.280 Remington

fixed 4X scope

The most popular cartridges in Alaska are the .30-06, .300WM, and the .338WM. These three are the top all around guns in Alaska, but it does not mean that you cannot have a .30-30 if you want to.

Keep in mind that high-power scopes can be a problem around bears. See...high-power scopes are best for loooong shots. If you hunt forested to open land, a low to medium variable-power scope for most people is most useful, specially when trying to find through the glass a bear or moose that's close-by and moving. That's where you can use the most field of view possible from any scope. If you only hunt wide-open spaces, then a high-powered scope is most useful.

In my view, a variable-power scope from 1.75-6x, 2.5-8x (not more than 3x on the low end), mounted to any of the calibers I mentioned above is favored by Alaska hunters, since most hunt in forested areas. Also, look at ammo availability at the local stores. That's what makes those three calibers so popular in Alaska.

I have a .30-06 with a 3-9x on it and a .338wm with a 1.5-5x on it. I sometimes have to flip a coin as to which I will use on a given hunt. I like both equally.

My go-to rifle is a Remington BDL Mountain in .270 with a 2x7 Leupold VX-II. I use it for all the big game I hunt (note: I don't actively hunt big bear). I've put more rounds through that rifle than all my other rifles combined, including a .300WM, a 30-06, a .222, a couple of shotguns (ok, they're not rifles...), and another .270. I grew up borrowing various rifles from family members, but my little Remy .270 was the first one I ever laid out cash for. I've had it almost 20 years and I'm very comfortable with it. I know how it shoots, I know where it shoots, and I know it's limitations. Is it perfect? No, but neither am I. Is it adequate? It hasn't let me down yet, but sometimes I wish it had a little more reach and hit a little harder. So, why don't I use my .300WM or '06 more? Well, I just haven't put in enough time with them to be as comfortable with them as I am with my .270. Maybe someday I'll put the little Remy away and start reaching for something bigger. But not today.

With that being said, if I lost all my rifles tomorrow and had to start over with something new, I think I would probably go with a .300WM. They have proven to be a great all-around rifle for Alaska's big game. Ammunition is readily available with a good selection of loads from light to heavy. And most importantly, it wouldn't beat me up so badly at the range that I would shy away from putting in the time needed to get comfortable with it. Good luck with your selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

fghi218

Post 搅拌机

You write very well, support you!搅拌机 分散机混合机 乳化机 搅拌器

30 06 or 7mm would be my choice.

Default what about the 300 ultra mag

it cost a little more to shoot but you have a 30 caliber bullet and with ptactice you can take that long shot with confidence. All and all I think the 300 to be the best choice.

Cool Shootin' iron

.300 Win mag. You will never be disappointed and it will kill things D E D.
    Most importantly, find a rifle you enjoy firing and is comfortable and stick with it. Most larger calibers (.25 and larger) will drop big game with the right shot.

Default what you can handle

Go out and shoot as many different rounds as you can. Find friends with different calibers and try them. If you get a case of the flinchies, you are not going to hit squat. I like the 338 wm but I handle the recoil pretty well. Have spent alot of time behind the gun though. I think most guides up here will tell a client to bring what they are comfortable shooting and not to go out and buy a 375 for a trip.

I will have to say the 300 win mag would be my choice followed by the old faith-full 30-06. There is not a big game animal in AK that I do know of personally that has not been taken with the 30-06, even Kodiak brown bears. That said, the 300 wm gives you a little more umph without that much more recoil and the ammo is readily available.
    Just my $0.02

My thinking during the years I lived in Alaska was not so much that I could kill a Moose or Caribou handily with .270 or 30-06...but that I might have to defend myself from a bear attack upon returning to the site of the kill for another load of meat. Most of the Moose I killed required leaving the carcass overnight. While I took steps to protect the meat by hanging it from a tree when possible, I always approached the gut pile with a little bit of trepidation. I own several adequate calibers, but my hands down favorite was the .338 because it just made me feel better. I did have a Moose come after me once after calling him in close. The impact of a 250 grain bullet at 10 yards was dramatic and gratifying