Thread: Cooper Lake

Default Cooper Lake

Going to take the boat to Cooper Lake next week and spend a few days doing some spot-and-stalk on blackies. I am making a HUGE assupmtion that the lake is broken up. If anyone out there has been there or is going there this week I would surely appreciate a report!

Thanks, Daren

I went about the same exact time last year and it was frozen over... I'd check on it.... Good Luck!

Valley trash.....and proud of it.

Just came from snug harbor road. Road isnt even open yet. Its good til about a 1/2 mile or so past the power lines.

homer, alaska

ice hasn't melted on the homer reservoir yet, and a small lake across the bay at about 800' is still frozen....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"

Cooper Lake probably wont be open till the end of June. There is still good snowmachining at that elevation this year.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

This same weekend, last year, the lake had not yet broken up. Id call one of the local shops and check.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Holy smokes! I'm glad I asked. Looks like I would have made a rookie mistake. Time to change plans!!

Thanks guys!

Peters Creek, Alaska, United States, United States

Default kenai lake

is open and holds black bears. skilak also a good choice just be careful of the weather.

Default Cooper Lake

As of Thursday road was snowed in before Rainbow Lake Trail Head. Cooper Lake pic
    probaly a week Plus before its open.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Talking ok now

I drove all the way to the lake in a minny van. A little snow but not bad. The lake is clear also. There was one truck with a boat trailer parked there and a truck with some other people messing around on the shore (kids shooting BB guns etc.) Saw a Boone and Crockett Porky Pine.

Drove up there over the weekend. No problem. Seen a couple of Blackies and a Brown Bear walking in the middle of the road. Why is it that whatever you are hunting for has to be so far up the hill that you dont want to go to it but whatever you arent hunting is walking in the middle of the road?

Default Cooper Lake

Saw large Br Bear tracks on the road when I was there Thursday how big was it? Bear front paw tracks on good were close to 8" wide