Thread: Planning some Ketchikan fishing with my son

Default Planning some Ketchikan fishing with my son

This July, my 11-yr-old son and I are taking our first fishing trip to Alaska. I am hoping some of the experts on this board will help let us know what we should expect.

We will be on a Yes Bay Lodge saltwater guided trip so I have no worries about gear, techniques etc. I realize we will have likely missed the King peak, but, am hoping the Silvers and Chums will be around. If anybody here has fished in the Yes Bay (Behm Canal) area in late July for salmon and halibut I would love to hear about what awaits us. Is the fishing normally fast and furious in the third week of July, or, should we plan on hours of boat rides through stunning scenery with some strikes mixed in now and then?

Either way, we are very excited. He just made a totem pole for a school project and everything he reads is about Alaska!

Mahalo nui loa in advance for sharing your stories. Tight Lines!

I do not have any info for you but I wanted to wish you good luck and good times. Sounds like a wicked trip, for you, and especially your son. If he's reading up on the subject he MUST be excited!

HAve fun!!

Thanks Soda. He is really fascinated by the local culture. He and his friends in his 5th grade study group are busy working on the totem, a beaver paddle and a few other Tlingit items. Not bad for a bunch of Hawaii kids.

The trip will be great. I can't think of a better way for a father and son to spend time than to do it fishing. I remember fondly the regular excursions with my dad. In fact, we'll have all three generations fishing later this summer in Lake Erie for walleye and perch. I'm guessing the butts and salmon in Ketchikan will pull a bit harder though. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by TightLinesHI View Post
    This July, my 11-yr-old son and I are taking our first fishing trip to Alaska. I am hoping some of the experts on this board will help let us know what we should expect.

We will be on a Yes Bay Lodge saltwater guided trip so I have no worries about gear, techniques etc. I realize we will have likely missed the King peak, but, am hoping the Silvers and Chums will be around. If anybody here has fished in the Yes Bay (Behm Canal) area in late July for salmon and halibut I would love to hear about what awaits us. Is the fishing normally fast and furious in the third week of July, or, should we plan on hours of boat rides through stunning scenery with some strikes mixed in now and then?

Either way, we are very excited. He just made a totem pole for a school project and everything he reads is about Alaska!

Mahalo nui loa in advance for sharing your stories. Tight Lines!
    You should start seeing silvers by the end of July, unfortunately the returns have been a little squirrely the past few years so it's become a guessing game. I've never targeted chum, so can't give you much info there. The halibut will keep you busy, so hang on and have a blast.

You are right on the scenery, you'll be in a beautiful area. Fishing and viewing will keep your senses in overdrive. Many times I've see humback and killerwhales in that area so keep the camera handy.

Have fun.

kingfisherktn

if you get a chance, se if they will take you to the naha or the karta river it should be full of salmon. probly not fit to eat but fun for a kid to catch fish till hid arms hert.
    if you have time in ketchikan take him to the totem heatage center they have a lot of old totems and a great tour and lots of info on them.good luck and have fun.

Bent and King,

Thanks so much for your input. it must get tedious for you residents to answer the same questions over and over from those of us fortunate enough to visit your state. I appreciate greatly sharing your time and stories with me.

Wolverine creek which dumps into Yes Bay right at the lodge will also be a good bet for sockeye, pinks, maybe a few silvers and some awesome trout fishing, .5 mile hike out of camp will put you on some great holes, oh yeah, watch for bears/wolves.

The saltwater fishing is kind of hit or miss, it will be the tail end of king season but probably a few still around and the silvers should be there in decent numbers, they fish 2 guys to a boat and troll with downriggers for salmon, not my favorite technique but it is effective.

1 warning, the lodge owner has different limits then the state limits, he allows guests to keep a limit of 6 salmon per person a day, when in reality you could keep 6 silvers, 6 pinks, 1 kings over 48", just an FYI.

Good luck and don't forget the camera.

Thanks AK for your tips on Wolverine Creek as well as the owner's limits on overall salmon take. We have 4 days to fish so, even with his limit of 6 each, we would probably have more than enough. (That's assuming we even get 6 each a day.) It would be tough to have our limit of small salmon then hook into a keeper king and have to set it free. Then again, I don't mind doing my small part so that the fishery remains healthy for the next few generations of father/son fishing trips.

middle of July is always the most desired time for fishing in the Ketchikan area. You and your son will have a super time. Don't bring more than one pair of shorts thou, and be sure to bring rain-proof jackets . Since your son's been studying local culture, you should take a quick side trip to Saxman, it's only about 5 minutes south of town and besides the indian longhouse, it also boasts many totem poles. Also, Totem Bight (about 10 minutes north of town) is a beautiful area on the water with totem poles and another longhouse on display. Both areas are free. Ketchikan has more totem poles than anywhere in the world. If you need a quick tour guide, give me a call, we locals (at least most of us) really enjoy the tourists. Have a great trip.

Thanks so much Higgins! We will definitely hit both Saxman and Totem Bight. We have about a day and a half in Ketchikan before hopping on the float plane to Yes Bay. My son wants to jump on the crab boat tour as well so I grabbed some tickets for that online. Other than that, all our time will be spent immersing ourselves in the local culture. If we shop at all, we will avoid the cruise ship shopping traps by the docks and look for truly authentic native art. (I really don't need any gold jewelry anyways. )

Tight Lines (and blue skys?) ...