Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get numbers for my boat?

Default How do I get numbers for my boat?

I have no numbers on my boat and have never got them for a boat before.

I have current tags on my trailer but have no idea what my boat numbers are or how I would go about getting them.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

If I remember right you will get the numbers when the boat is registered.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I think I had to buy my own numbers. Registration (at DMV) only includes the year tag and the registration document.

The numbers to go your boat you must buy.. I got mine custom done at some shop on Fireweed.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Dmv and Walmart

Ya, you have to register your boat with the Coast Guard which you can do at your local DMV office. They will send you a registration sticker along with your assigned vessel numbers. As far as the numbers go, you have to purchase them at Walmart, Freddies, or someplace like that. Same as numbers you would buy to put on your mailbox, or etccc.

any boat over 10' must be registered now in alaska. on the registration youu are given your boat #. characters block letters not less than 3 inches high, color must be of a color contrasting to the background. spacing of stickers: hyphen or equivalent space between the three parts of your number, validation sticker must be within 6 inches of the number. placement : attachment to each side of the bow always reading left to right....improper display subjects owner to federal fine. thats according to dmv. if you do not have one you get a $100 fine min. i know i got fined for a 10'6" boat that i have had for 10 years. just trying to help. registration fee is $12 per year. jeff

Default DMV Link

Go here, it will tell you what you need to know.. DMV will give you your registration and your boat numbers will be on it. Go to one of the stores mentioned earlier and buy your numbers. Then place them along with your registration sticker in accordance with the instructions on the registration. That should be clear as mud.. LOL I just did my air boat a couple weeks ago.

If I understand correctly the registration I received was for my trailer and that is why I could not find boat numbers on it.

What I have received was the trailer plate and I kept looking for the numbers to put on the boat and had no clue.

So I need to register the boat itself to get a set of nubers for the boat?

I do know that I need to buy the actual stickers myself.

You will get a registration for your trailer and one for your boat. You will get a square sticker that goes on the front of your boat when you register it. On your registration card will have your boat number on it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Bring your hull number with you to DMV

Your number is somewhere on your hull, usually the transom. They should give you the square registration sticker right then at the DMV I believe. West marine, Lowes, Home Depot, all the other places mentioned has numbers. Sometimes they have a old registration number on record if your boat is used and has been registered before in the past in Alaska.

Be prepared to show proof of ownership of the boat. They will accept a manufactors certificate of origin and most likely a bill of sale from who you purchased it from.
    Tennessee

Is this brand new boat you got or used? What kind of boat are we going fishing on here soon?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I bought the boat new two years ago and used the temp registration to get by with not having the numbers on the hull.

I did not use it last year as I could not afford it and gave it back to the bank. Then the bank gave it back telling me to name a payment I could do, go figure.

I have pics of the boat on the "show your boat thread." It is the one with the big dent from the drunk that hit me on a waverunner the very first outing.

I am going to try the "open seat" thread at least once.

Default Oops Forgot Link

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Go here, it will tell you what you need to know.. DMV will give you your registration and your boat numbers will be on it. Go to one of the stores mentioned earlier and buy your numbers. Then place them along with your registration sticker in accordance with the instructions on the registration. That should be clear as mud.. LOL I just did my air boat a couple weeks ago.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/boat.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Ya, you have to register your boat with the Coast Guard which you can do at your local DMV office. They will send you a registration sticker along with your assigned vessel numbers. As far as the numbers go, you have to purchase them at Walmart, Freddies, or someplace like that. Same as numbers you would buy to put on your mailbox, or etccc.
    Hate to correct you, but we need the right info out here. One does not register their boat with the U.S Coast Guard at all, anymore. Years back, boats were registered with the Coast Guard and you would get a USCG registration sticker, but not anymore. Register your boat with the State DMV just like you would any other motorized vehicle. Your boat will be accounted for through the state BUT the Coast Guard will check your registration any time that you are boarded, for accountablility and validity.
    Although, you can get a Vessel Safety Inspection from the Coast Guard Auxiliary which, if your boat passes, will get you a Safety Inspection sticker for your window. Not a registration but definitly a good thing to have.
    Hope that helps out.

Thumbs up EPW...I stand corrected.

Now that I have actually taken a look at the 2010 sticker on my boat, I see it no longer says USCG. I just took it for granted that it still was a Coast Guard registration. I seem to remember the last multiple year sticker I had on boat actually said USCG or something like that. I guess I assumed that DMV was coordinating registrations with the CG. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Default Documentation

You can also document your vessel with the CG, you don't have to register with the state either. Renewal is easy, just sign the form and send it in, no charge, except for the initial documentation fee.

On another note, spent 6 days out of Valdez, snowed in the higher elevations, very cold, only saw 4 bears total. Still winter down there.

Thanks guys. I got 'er done today.

It was a short wait in line at the D.M.V. and $24 for a three year tag. Some masking tape($2) and a can of paint ($5) and I am good to go.

Thanks again.

Ron

Default FYI

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    any boat over 10' must be registered now in alaska.

according to the link posted:

"NOTE: Tenders are boats that are used exclusively for transportation from a boat to shore. Under the previous USCG registration program, tenders did not have to be registered. This changes under the state program. Tenders must be registered unless they are non-powered."

It used to be that you were exempt from the fee if the tender was under 10' regardless of it being powered or not. Now the little dinks need to be registered if they are powered.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    according to the link posted:

"NOTE: Tenders are boats that are used exclusively for transportation from a boat to shore. Under the previous USCG registration program, tenders did not have to be registered. This changes under the state program. Tenders must be registered unless they are non-powered."

It used to be that you were exempt from the fee if the tender was under 10' regardless of it being powered or not. Now the little dinks need to be registered if they are powered.
    Does that include inflatables? I didn't get any paperwork with my new inflatable to register it. Maybe I am just supposed to go to DMV with the info....?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast