Thread: The ultimate muzzleloader, Mountain Howitzer

Default The ultimate muzzleloader, Mountain Howitzer

Deer hunting with a Howitzer? Found this site and thought I would share it. Is this for real? sure seems like it...

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

I saw this written up a couple of years ago on another forum, and the guy who did it was fielding questions. Seemed pretty straight to me at the time, and the cannon shooters in the crowd went wild over it. I don't recall anyone else trying it, though.

I just picked up a sweet 58 caliber Hawken, and that's cannon enough for me, at least for the time being. Already thinking about building either a 62 or a 69.

I cannot recall any regs that would prohibit you from using one here:-)
    I have seen min. caliber requirements but I have not seen maximum caliber requirements.

Default DUH

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    I cannot recall any regs that would prohibit you from using one here:-)
    I have seen min. caliber requirements but I have not seen maximum caliber requirements.
    Does that mean I can use a claymore on my bear bait station.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

No, explosives are prohibited. I think you might have a hard time with meat salvage using one of those and the hide would be shredded.

Default Dad Gummit

I guess I'll have to use my 99 Magnum "it shoots through banks". With Hollow Point bullets it might kill a bear. OR,Maybe I need a howitzer with 10 pounds of 70 caliber buckshot it might work as well.
    Blackpower cannons are fun but extreme caution is advised for the crew, don't need any one handed swabbers or rammers.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I here there is an artillery unit at Fort Wainwright, you maybe able to hook up with them and check how good they are. Maybe take a bear from your stand from a few miles away:-)
    Really though, I would never play with black powder cannons. I have seen first hand at a reenactment when a swabber lost an arm. Won't ever forget that.

Thumbs up Reenactment

That was a good reenactment!

I think he just got carried away!
    Alaska