Thread: Clear Creek/Talkeetna confluence

Default Clear Creek/Talkeetna confluence

Heading up to the confluence of Clear Creek and the Talkeetna Sunday and Monday via Mahay's. I went up there last spring a lil earlier and got skunked. I'm looking for rainbows, dollys and it'd be nice to hook into a greyling. That's the only fish I need to complete my "super grand slam" (all 5 salmon species plus rainbows, dollies and greyling). I'm planning on bringing some fry patterns, leeches, egg sucking leeches and maybe some smolt patterns. And of course the standard dry flies (caddis, mosquitos, maybe a wolf) in case they're rising. Has anyone been up that way? Catching fish? Where specifically? What's the H2O conditions? Any info would help!

Thanks!
    Kub-Air

Just be warned that there are large rainbows there too.

A couple years ago a friend and I decided to take a break from King fishing and we grabbed our fly rods and walked up river fishing for trout.

My buddy drifted his fly through a nice drift and hooked into a ten pound fish. He lost it after a couple thrashes and I laughed at him for hooking a King when we were fishing for trout. He looked at me with frown and said that the fish was a Rainbow. I thought, oh man! My buddy has caught a thousand trout from Susitna streams so I know he knows what a rainbow looks like. He used to tag trout for the fish and game for a couple years.

I have caught Grayling there at the mouth of (fish creek?) but that was many years ago.

Canoe lake at the Kepler Bradley complex also has grayling.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

10lbs is a lot of rainbow. I thought they only got that big on the Kenai. That'd be nice but I have no expectations of anyhting above a couple lbs. It's supposed to be beautiful and warm this weekend. I'm just going to spend the entire day in the river, up to my knees with the possibility of catching a fish or two.

Kub-Air

Other places in the state I have used really dead white and white brown flesh and dead rotted egg patterns and beads early in spring as the current pushes out all the salmon carcases as water rises. I have watched big dollies eat flesh that looked like snot coming down stream in the Wood Tikchik drainage even into June. Don't leave home without a few sculpins. Remember to watch for 4 legged fishermen, the salmon may not be in yet but they will be out and about too....
    River Runnin

Default Early but soon

Those flies mentioned above are all what I'd carry. I was up that way last weekend. Water levels were rising from melting snowpack. Water was all murky, but a few fish were caught last week. Slow fishing last weekend when I was up there. Smolt weren't out yet. The Arctic Terns were there, but not crashing the water. Maybe try dark, articulated leeches - stripping in slack water. Wish I could head up too, but working this weekend.

BTW - maybe call the river boat guys beforehand. Bob Meals, Tri-River Charters, is keeping rates the same, but asks 3-person minimum. I asked him about Mahays. He thought Mahay's might be same but 4-person minimum. No increase in rates though, $55/person. I didn't discuss rates directly with Mahay's - usually opting for TR when I go with dog.

Good luck.

Default 6XLeech

So, it's booked. I called Mahay's and they require 4 person minimum due to the increase in fuel prices.
    Then I took your advise and called Tri Rivers. They are $55 p/p (same as Mahay's), my lab is free and she booked me with 2 ppl. 10 AM departure tomorrow morning. Thanks for the advise and I'll report back on Tue with pics of my 10 lb rainbow!

Kub-Air

Default Reporting back

We fished hard for two long days. Gorgeous!! Bluebird, cloudless mornings with afternoon showers all weekend. Sunday we walked up clear creek about a mile and didn't even get a bump. The water in both clear creek and the Talkeetna is significantly higher than last year when I went up there. Right at the confluence the fishing was good. The smoly were in in large numbers. Terns were diving and smolt/fry patterns were doing well. I spent the first day fishing with black leeches of different varities..Nothing. Finally I lost my last leech (lot of snaggs) and I put on a simple fry dumbell pattern. I got 3 on and one landed in 15 min on Mon AM.
    The fishing was good but not great. We took a walk up fish creek a couple miles just to see what's up there. The water in fish creek was super low and clear. Not a fish to be seen but MAN! what a beautiful stream. It reminds me of those limestone rivers back home in PA. I'm sure it'll be full of rainbows in the fall.
    If you're headed up that way to practice for when those Kings arrive, do it. It'll be worth your wile.

Kub-Air

Was the channel similar to last year at the confluence?
    River Runnin