Thread: Should I have not passed?

Default Should I have not passed?

I have never killed a black bear before. Last night one of my buddies shot one on his bait station and called me asking for my help retrieving it this morning. We found the bear. It looked to be about 150 pounds. While butchering it I had a chance and passed on 2 bears roughly the same size. We were almost done butchering that bear and seeing how little meat I was going to get I decided to pass on the others. My bear bait station just got its first hit on Friday. Was passing on those 2 bears in hopes of getting a realistic chance at something bigger on my bait station a good idea or should I shoot one that size if I see one again? Compared to his bear the 2 I passed on were probably about 4 and a half feet.

Default bear

depends on how badly you want meat or how badly you want a decent sized rug. I would bet you will probably see something bigger than 4.5 feet if you hold out.

imo- If these smaller bears are not what you want for a trophy passing is your only option, If you want one for the table, then i would prefer a smaller one, let you inner feelings guide you, just my opinion

Default Passing on Bears

ARKY- I believe one of points of baiting is to allow the hunter to be selective in their harvest. It's all a matter of priorities, and it seems like you have identified the quantity of meat as a priority. If that is important to you then I think you are fine. Now just keep your bait stocked & wait till you find the one you are looking for. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ARKY View Post
    I have never killed a black bear before. Last night one of my buddies shot one on his bait station and called me asking for my help retrieving it this morning. We found the bear. It looked to be about 150 pounds. While butchering it I had a chance and passed on 2 bears roughly the same size. We were almost done butchering that bear and seeing how little meat I was going to get I decided to pass on the others. My bear bait station just got its first hit on Friday. Was passing on those 2 bears in hopes of getting a realistic chance at something bigger on my bait station a good idea or should I shoot one that size if I see one again? Compared to his bear the 2 I passed on were probably about 4 and a half feet.
    Those bears are on the small side, and in my experience below average. I think you made the right choice by passing those animals up for a larger bear. As someone already mentioned, baiting gives you the chance to be as selective as you want.

If you are in 16B you could just shoot all three...

Arky, At 4 1/2' those are pretty small bears.
    Hold out for something at least 5 1/2' and ideally closer to 6' and bigger if you can. Lots more good eating on those bigger guys too.
    If fellas shoot those little guys they never will reach maturity. Just my .02.

There is something special about watching an animal walk away when you know you allowed it to happen that way.

I think we hunters have been in you show at one time or another. It comes down to what you want? Meat or trophy? You know later in the season you take one that will make that bear that more special. Like said in an other post, it is special to watch an animal walk away.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The younger you shoot a bear, the less moose it will kill in it's lifetime. My .02

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    The younger you shoot a bear, the less moose it will kill in it's lifetime. My .02
    Donno, Tyrex. Seems to me that those 4 1/2 foot bears are far less of a threat to moose. A mature cow will flat out kick a small bear's butt if it made a move on a calf.

It's the older, larger and wiser bears that are the ones that are adept at killing moose. To settle for those little guys leaves those skilled moose munchers to prowl through more calving seasons.

Thoughts?

Let 'm go...

Let 'm grow...

Default its all good

To me, its all good. Small bear=great tasting meat, not as much of it. Big bear= great tasting meat, more of it. The biggest thing here, though, is that we are WAY early in the season. With this late spring, the activity the first two weeks of June should be sick. Right now is the best time for a quality hide. But there will still be nice hides available in June- they don't all rub out. If you have the time to keep bait at your site and hunt it every few days, then by all means wait. You'll be second guessing for a while. Those little guys will be back, and give you more opportunity to second guess yourself. Make your decision on what you are going to shoot each time before you hit the station, then be at peace with the outcome!

My first bear with my bow was 5 1/2' and I was and still am proud of it. I have only shot one a little smaller but it was a cinamon. To me it would be a question of what you will be happy with. My guess is one bigger will come along, just hang on!