Thread: ?’s re: Alaska Hunting Regulations

Default ?’s re: Alaska Hunting Regulations

I don’t understand the use of the term “every regulatory year” or “every four regulatory years?” The synopsis states that a regulatory year is from July 1 – June 30 yet each hunt has specific dates for that season in that year. Here are some examples: http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regulations/pdfs/gmu6.pdf In unit 6C, Black bear; one bear, and the season is Sept. 1 – June 30, 2008. Brown bear; one bear “every regulatory year” and the season is from Sept. 1 – May 31, 2008. Each one of these hunts lists a specific bag limit, for a specific time period in 2008 yet one hunt says every regulatory year and the other doesn’t?

Many hunts in Alaska are by permit. So I assume since they are requiring a permit, the permits are limited and not everyone will “draw” a permit? If this is the case, Does Alaska use a point system where you build up points so that it may take years to get certain hunts (or hunt areas)? Using the same area as an example; unit 6C shows moose as “by permit” so does this mean that there are folks that live in this region that can’t hunt their area because they were not able to draw a permit? How does the permit system work for you all?

Default Permit System

Alaska currently does not have a point system for draw hunts. It is equal opportunity for every draw cycle. Although many point systems have been debated and it looks to be in the future of the alaska draw system the Board of Game has yet to settle on a specific system. I have seen proposals modeling Utah and a few other western states.

Whether a point system is warranted or not is a point of contention in the state and on this forum.

In response to your question about regulatory years let me take a stab at that one.
    Unless otherwise stated (ie every four regulatory years) you make take up to the harvest limit for that animal for that season and regulator year. If you shoot a bear in september and it is a one in every regulatory year or limit of one you may not shoot another one until the season opens again the next year even though the season spans sep-jun . Some areas have higher hunt pressure with less densities and therefore are a "every four regulatory years" harvest area. Meaning if you shot a brown bear in fall of 2008, you cannot shoot another one until the fall of 2012. Clear as mud i am sure and anyone fell free to correct me if i made a mistake, i kind of out thought myself as i was typing this
    Last edited by Pupchow; 05-16-2008 at 13:57. Reason: clarification...if that is possible

The questions you ask are very common. The "regulatory year" references are state wide. Thus if you harvest a bear in a 1 every year region you would not be able to hunt a different reagion that was 1 bear every 4 years untill 4 regulatory years after you killed the bear in the 1 in 1 region.
    No point system. We have alot of different programs. You start with a general "harvest" ticket that you just pick up locally if you are a resident and they are good for all non permit areas that have a hunting season. The next level is the Registration permit. There are sometimes a limited number of these permits handed out on a first come first served basis nut usually you just log on to the ADF&G website and register then print your permit. These permits have special restrictions and a much shorter harvest reporting window. These hunts are subject to frequent "Emergency Orders" (EOs) that shut down the hunt or sub regions of the permit area. The next level is the Drawing Permits. They are a complete reandom draw, some with good odds of getting a tag and some with bad. The one caveat is that some have a restriction on how long you must wait to reapply if you have one the permit before. Bison winners now have to wait 10 years before they can apply for the permit again! The weirdest is the "tier II permits" There is an application process that you go through and you are judged to see if you are alaskan enough to be given the right to harvest some animals that may or may not be near your home. I believe they are adding income limits back to the application this year and I am hoping for a feats of strength competition next year so at least I get some enjoyment out of the whole process. Last you have the Federal Land Subsistance. The feds tend to give in to the local guys especially Alaskan natives regardless of what state bios and ADF&G are trying to do in that region to ensure a healthy population.
    The majority of the system works pretty well untill you toss in the subsistance BS. The current tierr II program would not allow many Cantwell residents to hunt the caribou in cantwell. The Anchorage qualifying subsistance guys can drive up and shoot 1 per permit though. It get interesting because then the feds step in and they own the land accross the road from Cantwell. Aparently the bou were tought years ago that the road was a majic line and that on one side is the "denali" herd and on the Cantwell side is the "nelchina" herd. Lucky for the Cantwell folks they can watch and when some of the Nelchina heard crosses the road thus becomming Denali they can shoot 2 of em

I am over dramatizing the subsistance issues a bit but not much. It is a big state and there are alot of fingers in the pie hope that I actually answered some of your questions in all this rhetoric

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The questions you ask are very common. The "regulatory year" references are state wide. Thus if you harvest a bear in a 1 every year region you would not be able to hunt a different reagion that was 1 bear every 4 years untill 4 regulatory years after you killed the bear in the 1 in 1 region.
    UNLESS your a commercial hunter THEN the 1 bear every four year rules do not affect you at all.

If you are taking a public resource for profit you are not limited to how many bears you take annually; or which units you take them from.

Thanks for the responses. I called Alaska F&W and they are sending me the documentaion that gives all the specific numbers relating to each permit hunt precentage so I can see the odds of drawing specific hunts.

I am not sure this is such a good system. If I understand it correctly,
    theoretically, one person could be unsuccessful for 50 years for a low odds (high demand) hunt while another person could draw the same hunt several times in that same time period. Is this really how it works?

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    theoretically, one person could be unsuccessful for 50 years for a low odds (high demand) hunt while another person could draw the same hunt several times in that same time period. Is this really how it works?
    Yes, that's how it works. Equal opportunity for all hunters every year.

Yup, happens with distressing regularity. Before the recent changes I knew a fella that got drawn for Kodiak brown bear 3 years in a row! Literally the luck of the draw.

Default draw luck

imo, the points system just ruins it all. I like the luck of the draw much better. Sucks if you dont get drawn but oh well, thats how it goes...dont like it: move!

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    imo, the points system just ruins it all. I like the luck of the draw much better. Sucks if you dont get drawn but oh well, thats how it goes...dont like it: move!
    Let me guess..... you've been one of the lucky ones

Default Points systems don't do much good...

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I called Alaska F&W and they are sending me the documentaion that gives all the specific numbers relating to each permit hunt precentage so I can see the odds of drawing specific hunts.

Sorry about getting off topic a tad, but wanted to address your point system post.

Overall, they don't help you get drawn. All it ends up doing is making it almost impossible to get a permit early on, so you are putting in for them for years just to get points. At least with an equal draw, you have a chance from day one. This leads to the issue of trying to get young/new hunters into the "game". Someone just starting out hunting, whether they are young or just new to hunting, a point system would mean there would be a long delay before they could reasonably have a chance to draw a permit. How would you like to talk to your 12 year old about going moose hunting, but having to tell them...."okay, now that you are old enough to hunt, we will start putting in and you might be lucky enough to get a permit around the time you graduate from college."

There are other issues with it as well, but don't need to go into them here. As others have said, this has been a hot topic on the forum in the past.

Default Mix it up...

I agree about the point system not working for many of Alaska's drawing permits. The hunts that have a successful draw percentage of less than 5 percent (and there's a ton of these) would lead to people waiting 20 years or more to draw a particular hunt. Why would you put in for a permit if you knew you wouldn't get it for another 20 years or more! That doesn't work. At least you can hope under the current system. The point system used on some other states tends to only work if the draw percentage is 50 percent or more. That just ensures that you aren't some ridiculously unlucky fellow that never gets drawn on a high-probability ticket.

My advice to anyone frustrated with the system is to make sure you mix it up when putting in for your permits. Apply for some of the low-probability permit s, but also do some of the higher-probability ones. If you are into hunting a variety of game and can travel around, your odds are decent for getting drawn for something every two years or so.

In regards to the regulatory years discussion, this is just acknowledging that the limit applies to a season that crosses two calendar years. If they wrote "one black bear per year," some guy would tag one in September and then get another one in April. That would not be okay. By the same logic, you are allowed to tag one in April and then get one in September of the same calendar year. That's okay. They may both be in 2008, but they're in different regulatory years. Make sense? That's how I see it, anyway.
    My signature is awesome.

I apply for tags in 12 states and points are the most evil thing on planet earth. Don't do it Alaska its one of the things that makes the last frontier great!