Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!! family hunting trip

Question HELP!! family hunting trip

i am new to caribou huning. my family (me, the wife, our children 11boy, 10girl, 8girl) want to go caribou hunting. i'm thinking that up on the steese would be the best option as i can't really expect my kids to pack in five miles and then treck all over the tundra. like i said i'm new to this game and don't really know what to expect. can you help with suggestions and some do's and don'ts. any help would be great!
    Last edited by wantamoose; 05-16-2008 at 13:05. Reason: needed to add something

Will you be hunting right from the road, or do you have enough atv's for the whole crew? That will play a part in making a decent suggestion.

Based on the past several years, unless you live reasonably close to the Steese, you're probably better off hunting off the Taylor. The herd's movement toward the Steese has been late and unpredictable for the last 4-5 years. If you're going to drive all the way up from Anchorage at today's gas prices, you might want to go where you have the best shot at seeing caribou.

i only have one atv. not enough for the whole family. we would be hunting from near the road. thats why i thought of the steese not the dalton.

where is the taylor? is it the same basic regulations as the steese? i know that at least my wife and kids will be using rifles. i'm debaiting on using my bow or not. it will all depend on how much practice i can get in after i get home from iraq.

Default Break them apart

Just my $0.02 but I would break out the hunts. I would move to two person hunts and take one for spring black bear, one for Bou, one for moose etc… then swap out who hunts what every year. This includes the wife. You may need a friend who can watch the kids for a weekend or send them off to the grandparents.

Drew

good idea but i don't know if that will work. i'm in the military and only have a two more hunting seasons left in ak. they are all pretty set on hunting caribou. i don't want to disapoint my children and wife and turn them off to the wonderful world/sport of hunting. and the wife and i are already planning a moose hunt on our own. what if i found a friend who is experienced to come along and take part of the family while i take the other? i guess that would be breaking apart the same hunt. now the trick is finding a friend with the time off of work!

Every day in Alaska is hunting season. You may have to travel some but there is always some sort of small game open. Bunnies, grouse, ptarmigan, reindeer (Kodiak). You have 2 years that 2 moose, 2 bou and a bunch of black bears maybe a bison, maybe an elk depending on if you get lucky on the draws. All good eating animals. That doesn’t even touch the small game hunting (which kids love). Nothing will turn off a 10 yr old like strapping 40# of bou to his/her back and a long hike back to camp. I would offer if you want to make it a special time for the kids take em one at a time.

Drew

this is true. we have been small game hunting and you are right they love every minute of it. the wife and i were thinking about making a camping trip/family vacation out of this hunt. i do plan on taking each child out seperatly hunt by hunt or day by day which ever the caribou provide at the time.

can anyone tell me more about the taylor? what game unit is it in? where is it in relation to anchorage?

i just want to say that i do appreciate the help a lot even if it does look like i'm shooting down your ideas. i'm in the military with limited leave and a limited budget, trying to do the best i can with what i have.

i just looked up the taylor highway and it looks like its the one that runs up past chicken. i've heard that the terrain in that area is pretty rough. is this true? please feed me more info!!! thank you

I do not know about the fall hunt but the winter hunt on the taylor and steese are more of harvest and not true hunts. There will be lots of people lots ov ATV's and a verry short season before it is closed by emergency order.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...lations.orders
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...7/03-05-07.pdf
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default hunt time frame

i'm looking at the fall hunt time, the end of august and start of september. i do like the fact that the taylor has the any caribou. i'm not choosy about meat! what are the "normal" migration times though the steese and taylor areas?
    Last edited by wantamoose; 05-16-2008 at 15:36. Reason: needed to add something

Default search taylor highway

if you do a search on here about the taylor you will get a lot of good information. Good luck to you and the stampede that you will be in. If you want to actually hunt, go to the Steese, you might not kill anything, but IMO you won't be overrun by a bunch or 06" rednecks who will shoot over your head while your attempting to stalk an animal.

Default Spend the money

I would do some more research and talk to some guides.

I have hunted Caribou in Chicken, Circle, and off the Haul Road.

Is it absolutely nessary to have a four wheeler?...no, but if you want an animal I sure wouldn't want to go up there (Circle, Chicken) without one.

If you want your family to shoot a Caribou (with a rifle) off the Haul road, I hope your kids are very tough. 10 miles minimum across VERY difficult terrain. I think this would be zero fun for kids.

If it were me, I would get a few weekdays off after the Haul Road opens again to miss the weekend crowds, try to get some info where the herd is (this forum), and bowhunt.

In my opinion the other hunts you spoke of are not very relaxing, fun hunts with the wife and kids.

Good Luck

I have personally hunted the haul road with a rifle, and that 10 mile hike in and out is brutal, although your odds of success are fairly good up there. I also would not recommend the Taylor "hunt." One of my coworkers went down there last year and said he saw more ATVs than caribou. I don't think that would be a very fun family hunt. The fall season on the Steese might be doable, but as BAR300 mentioned, your odds of success might not be high. I think most of the caribou that get taken off the Steese are in the winter hunt. If you have money (I doubt it being in the military), I would look into a fly-in. Otherwise the fall season on the Steese might be your best/only real option. Unfortunately, with your time/atv/family constraints, there are not going to be any "easy" caribou hunts. It might behoove you to save money until next season and fly in somewhere. It would be very frustrating for me to drive clear up to Fairbanks from Anchorage and not get a caribou, so I imagine it would be even more frustrating for a child. But that is really up to you.

Please, don't expose your family to the road hunting maddness. Save your money and do a fly in into the Brooks Range. I did the combat road hunt thing when I first got here. You have little chance along the road system and little better with a four wheeler. If you must do a road hunt your best chance would be the Taylor Caribou hunt. It gets huge pressure and the season will close within just a few days. The winter hunt for Caribou is doable up the Taylor as well. I flew over that mess during the opening of Caribou season, you could see the dust from the numerous four wheelers using the few trails. A fly in experience would be much nicer, just you and your family and Alaska. A must do before you leave. At leave for a few days you can make believe it is all yours.....
    I have been up the Steese many times and have never seen any game alive. Again folks with wheelers hit that area hard too.

Just my 2 pennies

Steve

This is exactly why I bought a boat instead of a wheeler! Good luck and the important thing as you likely know is just to get out and spend time with the family!

Default hybrid option

You also may be able to drive up the haul road and have one of the airboat transporters take the whole family up the Sag or Ivi. You can get past the 5 mile limit and gun hunt for Bou's. You can take the whole family with a mess of gear and it may be a bit cheaper than a fly-in..... just a thought.

Greg

Bad part about the taylor is for the last couple of years it has closed withing a couple of days of opening. If you head above chicken and hunt east of the highway there is a portion that is non-motorized during a certain period. not that much competition.

E-mail me at wantj43@hotmail.com. Will help with either a moose or caribou hunt for the family.
    Joe (Ak)

how much would an airboat transport cost?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast