Thread: Hooligan for trolling bait?

Default Hooligan for trolling bait?

Do you guys ever use hooli's for kings and silvers in the saltwater? I was wondering if I should brine them in salt to make 'em tougher so they stay on the hook better. What is the process? How do they compare to herring? Thanks!

They tend to get very soft. I don't think they would be a good trolling bait.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

i'm looking for some they work well you just have to prepare and tie them right or they come off the hook. i use spawn sac netting and stretchy string.

I found that hallibut wont touch them and silvers shun them. Dont waste your time. Jig some fresh herring and kick butt.

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    I found that hallibut wont touch them and silvers shun them. Dont waste your time. Jig some fresh herring and kick butt.

have never had any problems catching any fish with them i have caught both hali's and silver, even a few reds with them and no the reds hit them they were not snagged. they are soft so you have to prepare them right or they just ball up on your line. but when they are straight and "swimming" on your line they catch rockfish and hali's no problem, even salmon will follow them and hit them close to the boat when your casting around jumpers. one word of caution do not use them around porpoises. jeff

Default Hooligan

I have used hooligan in a chum bag for years and it works quite well. I grind the greasy little things into about 5-7 lbs blobs and freeze them in gallon zip locs. Take them out only when your on your way to the fishing grounds, load them in a chum bag and lower to the bottom with an extra stout butt rod with about 10 lbs of weight, put it into a rod holder away from all other lines. I have had fish try to take off with the chum bag. Just a thought.

Like jtm9, I also use chum bags, but I send it down attached to the anchor chain not with a rod. With it being on the anchor it is up-current sending scent under your boat, by your baits, and the bag is away from the lines that are fishing.