Thread: Re-Attaching Split Moose Antlers

Default Re-Attaching Split Moose Antlers

I had to have the antlers split on my 2007 Moose, so it could be shipped. Does anyone have a do it your self idea on how to put them back together. Any thoughts would be great.

Default done it

my rack was split on the skull plate by a "friend" who had it on the front of his ATV. he flipped the four wheeler on a steep incline, lucky for him he jumped out of the way otherwise I'm thinking he would have been stabbed by the tines.... but anyhow it was pretty much a clean split down the center. I used a thin metal plate that I hand hammered to match the contours of the skull, I then drilled holes in the skull, and ran 2" screws thru it. That helped tighten it up, but then I lined the inside of the scull with BONDO, thats right BONDO, worked like a champ. still holding strong 3 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    my rack was split on the skull plate by a "friend" who had it on the front of his ATV. he flipped the four wheeler on a steep incline, lucky for him he jumped out of the way otherwise I'm thinking he would have been stabbed by the tines.... but anyhow it was pretty much a clean split down the center. I used a thin metal plate that I hand hammered to match the contours of the skull, I then drilled holes in the skull, and ran 2" screws thru it. That helped tighten it up, but then I lined the inside of the scull with BONDO, thats right BONDO, worked like a champ. still holding strong 3 years later.
    Sounds like a great way.

You could also drill about 3 holes in both sides of the skull about 3/4 of an inch in from the split and then get some heavy guage wire and 2 buddies. Have the 2 buddies hold the rack from both sides, you run the wires through the holes from the top down and tighten the hell out of them and then tuck the excess wire or the wire twist into the skull cap. Then use bondo or a heavy grade apoxy on the split on both sides of the skull and it will be good to go. I've done a couple like this.

Default Auto Repair Kit

I've put together a couple of split racks by using an automobile repair kit.

I position the rack in the garage and support it with twine, blocks, etc.

I cut some fiberglass repair cloth to fit the top of the skull plate. Then I follow the directions on the kit by putting epoxy on the skull plate, then some fiberglass cloth, & then more epoxy. When that has thoroughly set, I turn the rack over and do the inside of the skull plate. If there are any rough edges, they can be sanded off.

Works great and lasts a long time. Just make sure the skull plate is cleaned of any grease or dirt - first.

ps. Remember - split racks are not eligible for scoring by either B & C or SCI.

Default Great Ideas

Thanks for the input. Bondo sounds like the ticket. I will post pics of the results

Drill a couple of pilot holes into the inside of the skull aiming into the anlters. Then screw some bolts into the holes leaving about a half inch sticking out then use your bondo. The bondo will lock on around the head of the bolts and hold tight. Alittle fiberglass cloth or chop will just make it better. If you have one that has had the antler cutoff at the skull (I hate those!!) you need about 8 inches of one inch square steel tubing. Drill a some holes in the tubing and a hole in the antler big enough for the tubing to fit in tightly. Put the tubing into the antler leaving about 3 inches sticking out and fill the hole with fiberglass resin (the resin will flow threw the holes you drilled into the tubing locking it tight. Drill into the skull all the way into the brain cavity. Slide the antler tubing into the skull and fill the seam with a little clay or putty so no resin leaks out. Flip it over and fill the whole brain cavity with resin and little cloth or chop.

Default drilling,epoxy

my rack was knocked onto my garage floor and broke in half. it was kind of a jagged break too. i mixed some 5000lb epoxy and drilled small holes all the way along the break. put the epoxy on it and ran lacing/safety wire between all the holes kind of just sewing it up. tighten the wire and it is good. couple years and it is still together.

Default Shipping moose antlers

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonsmw View Post
    I had to have the antlers split on my 2007 Moose, so it could be shipped. Does anyone have a do it your self idea on how to put them back together. Any thoughts would be great.
    Wilsonmw, I too had to have my moose antlers cut to ship. The epoxy, bondo tricks work good. Just curious, how did you have them shipped? I had mine shipped, trucked, from Kenai to Michigan and I wasn't happy with the price. I went to Fedex from the airport in Kenai and they wouldn't even let me in the door with the horns. Thinking about another moose hunt in 09 and checked with UPS in Anchorage, they said they can box and ship large antlers. Might still have to split but shipping should be alot cheaper. Looking for other alternatives. Thanks

Default Use...

....the fiberglass style bondo..not the long strand, use the very short strand style fiberglass filler-- much, much stronger.

I have repaired many skulls and other things with the product.

Default What I DId

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Wilsonmw, I too had to have my moose antlers cut to ship. The epoxy, bondo tricks work good. Just curious, how did you have them shipped? I had mine shipped, trucked, from Kenai to Michigan and I wasn't happy with the price. I went to Fedex from the airport in Kenai and they wouldn't even let me in the door with the horns. Thinking about another moose hunt in 09 and checked with UPS in Anchorage, they said they can box and ship large antlers. Might still have to split but shipping should be alot cheaper. Looking for other alternatives. Thanks

I took the Antlers to a Taxidermist, he cleaned them up split them and boxed. Shipped fedex. I went this route because they are always shipping stuff, he knew how to protect the tips. Recieved with no issues.. I would check this option out

Default Ship Alaska

there is a business in Anchorage called Ship Alaska(or something like that) that can ship antlers without splitting them. They can ship all sorts of large and odd shaped items.

Wilsonsmw, dandeo2003,, thanks for the info on shipping antlers. I hated to have my moose antlers split, that was back in 2003. I did get a shoulder mount and my taxidermist was even able to make each side removable, real handy when I had to hang him on the wall. I was REAL LUCKY, my second moose hunt and he is 65". Thanks again, guys. I will be coming back end of May for black bear out of Whittier, anxious to see your beautiful state again.

Default antler shipping

I have read up on shipping antlers and the only info I have found that seems like it is reasonabe is to ship your antlers uncut on your airlines back home as excess/oversized baggage. You can see oversized baggage charges and sizes by looking on airline websites. That seems to be the cheapest way shipping home and not cutting that I have seen. Hope this helps.

Marko, I took a 64" in 2007. Split it and shipped it with a caribou as excess bagage for about $70.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McClara View Post
    Marko, I took a 64" in 2007. Split it and shipped it with a caribou as excess bagage for about $70.
    Bob, nice moose. We did ship our Caribou by commercial airline the first time, in 2001. We just happened to be in the middle of the bush on our own, near Lake Clark, on 9-11. By the time we got to Anchorage for our return flight on the 17th, I thought we would not even get ourselves home. But in 2003 trying to fly out of Kenai, the moose horns were a no-go. In retrospect, the small commuter plane might have been the culprit but they blamed Alaska Airlines, so the split and shipping costs. Thanks for sharing about your caribou.