Thread: "Free" Vessel Safety Check

Default "Free" Vessel Safety Check

I just wanted to remind everyone that the Coast Guard Auxiliary will be performing another "Free" vessel safety check at West Marine in Anchorage this weekend. So bring your boat down and get your 2008 vessel safety check sticker and save yourself the hassel of a check on the water.

Dates: May 17-18, 2008
    Time: 10am-4pm

West Marine will be BBQing and is offering 15% off all items needed for safety check. In addition, they are offering 5% off electronics.

Also, there was some interest in a Boating Skills and Seamanship course in the Valley. We have been working on this and would like to get an idea of how many people would be interested in taking this course. If you live in the valley, please let me know if you would be interested in such a course.

thanks,

Dave

Just a quick note of thanks to Dave for informing us about the vessel inspections, and another thanks to the Coast Guard folks that were at Ak. Mining and Diving doing the inspections last weekend. I brought mine down last weekend and got my sticker that came with some valuable information and discussions with the Coast Guard personnel performing the inspections.
    Thanks to all involved.

Wink Sponsored link

Coast Guard ringtone................

Something fishy here....

I love them, glad they and the reserve are out there!!!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

What is the purpose of the "safety check" and is it required? Is it an insurance thing? I am new to boating

Don't forget to check the expiration date on your flares and check to make sure your fire extinguisher is still full.

Be safe

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    What is the purpose of the "safety check" and is it required? Is it an insurance thing? I am new to boating
    No - not required, but a good idea.

The CG Auxiliary goes through a list of required and recommended stuff you should have on your boat. If you don't pass, you get a list of stuff you need.

If you do pass, you get a sticker. When the regular Coasties have to choose how to spend their time on the water, that sticker indicates that they don't need to look at your boat.

Is there a place there to turn around???
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

you can come in from king street or diamond. if going south on king street cross over dimond turn left on east 87th court follow road around corner west marine is on the left. this will have you come out to dimond. if you enter from dimond go out onto king street. hope thie helps jeff

That helps. Thanks
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK