Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whittier ramp work being done?

Default Whittier ramp work being done?

Launching Memorial weekend and wondering if the work is actually being done on the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Launching Memorial weekend and wondering if the work is actually being done on the ramp.
    Nope is the short answer. I was down there last Saturday and nothing major had been done. It is a bunch of lip service if you ask me. I did hear that it went out for bid, but don't know if anyone picked it up.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It's a bunch of hogwash if you ask me... the proper time to work on the ramp is NOT in the summer time during the heart of the boating season anyhow. What's wrong with working on the ramp during the off season months like every other port in Alaska does!!!

Not being worked on as of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    It's a bunch of hogwash if you ask me... the proper time to work on the ramp is NOT in the summer time during the heart of the boating season anyhow. What's wrong with working on the ramp during the off season months like every other port in Alaska does!!!

Not being worked on as of yesterday.
    i think that it has too do with the 300"+ of snow they get every year. but i may be wrong.

Lightbulb Contract

was awarded wasn't it? Work was suppose to be completed by May 20th?

Same old crap! Grab our money and run!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    i think that it has too do with the 300"+ of snow they get every year. but i may be wrong.
    I don't buy it! This is Alaska for crying out loud. They are just dragging their feet. Whittier has been giving us lip service about the improvements even before the tunnel opened. Talk is cheap!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Contract

Contract to repair dock was bid on 4/8. Ft. James Co. was low bidder at 36.7k. Don't know if it was awarded.

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post

Maybe so but unless I'm wrong, the salt water will keep the ramp clear and free of snow, does everywhere else. That just leaves the top end to keep clear, not too much work there for the right machine. Besides, they don't have to wait until "February/March" to do it, what's wrong with late fall when the boat traffic is falling off rather than ramping up? (no pun intended).

Default Slightly off topic but close enough....

And for another question to those who frequent the area, why is it that the boat launch gets to be used as a commercial loading zone? I thought that the boat launch was to load and unload boats, not be the commercial haul-out for all the kayak's and all the tourist luggage that goes with it.

Say, wouldn't it be nice if there was a section at the bottom of the ramp painted yellow that said, "Loading zone 30 min only".... At least that would remove the guys taking the most time at the ramp away for the 20 some boats wanting to get in or out of the water. Not to mention, it would follow suit with how a properly managed harbor runs their port facilities.

Just so it doesn't get flamed here, I am all for charters, they're trying to make a living too but they don't have to do it at the ramp at low tide while I want to launch my boat.

Default whittier ramp

Using the big ramp for loading of commercial kayaks has always created a cluster****. The private boat user pays a fee to launch a boat at the ramp so they should not have to wait indefinately for commercial taxi's to clear the dock to launch. On the other hand the Taxis pay a buck a head for every passenger that they take out of the harbor supposedly for services rendered by the harbor. So the real culpret here that is sticking it to all concerned is the city of Whittier as they collect the fees from both users and don't provide for the user demand. A simple fix that would help this without increase of facility is simply the small ramp is for commercial loading and this includes the bowpickers that pull up to the waterline to load gear as well as the taxi's loading yakers. Then the big ramp is for BOAT LAUNCHING ONLY!! This also makes sense as you cannot launch a big boat at the small ramp.

Well guys guess its time for us to bring those sacks of quickcrete i talked about a few months ago and have them just fall out of the back of our trucks and into the holes in the ramps ??? Driveway patch maybe? I was in sh**tier a few weeks ago and i think they did some work on the ramps, they sharpened the rebar sticking out !!! They have a loader in town why not just get a few buckets of beach gravel and TRY to make things a bit better. Next time the ramp nazi asks for the ramp fee tell them you'll pay when the ramp is fixed and safe !! Next time your by the habormasters office walk over to Babs Burger Stand and check out her sign out front, it list the history of sh**tier accord to Babs, a good rundown of all the city managers, mayors & harbormasters that have gone thru there in the years. All of this is just my opinion on things.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I got a better idea Pot builder. I think we will vote you as Mayor in Whitter... Your first chore will be to redo the ramp.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Its obvious the potential gold mine Whittier is, any business person with any creativity can see this. Money is usually not the issue, someone out there has the money and would jump on it if they wanted to or could, that leaves control, who controls Whittier. If its the city, the assembley, the board of directors, the share holders, the trustees, the harbormaster, the mayor, the janitor, the man on the moon, who ever is in charge at the end of the day is responsible for the crappy concrete and everything that goes with it!

I dislike this topic, gets my blood boiling to think about it!

gotta be better than lester

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I got a better idea Pot builder. I think we will vote you as Mayor in Whitter... Your first chore will be to redo the ramp.
    They don't need a new mayor they need a dictator. That way no counsils to wait for votes just do what the boss sez !! & do it now !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

NO work being dome on any ramps, went out today, alot of rebar and bumpier than last year, no ice or gravel on the launch. parking lot has snow and ice and some very deep puddles, was windy and slippery. do they keep moving that parking lot farther away? seems every year it gets farther and farther away and they keep putting us farther back. snow was melting very fast this afternoon it was 53* but this morning it was 33* hopefully it will keep warming anf get rid of the snow and ice, if not there may not be enough parking next weekend. jeff

Default As you all know

from previous posts I have done here, Whittier is starting to run off business. I am surprised the Pro-Whittier crew haven't posted yet.

Maybe a petition could be started to deliver to the City of Whittier.......but then again they just don't care.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Ramp rage

I second (or 3rd or 4th) the idea to fix the ramp in September.

I returned to port Sunday, (always a big mistake, but another boat I was with had to be back to work) to find a wait in line for 15 minutes before I could even get to the dock. I have had this happen before, on an even windier day, and it's no fun trying to stay in a holding pattern. It causes me to start cursing at the folks that are launching on a SUNDAY AFTERNOON, knowing full-well (or not) that many people are returning to port at that time. I understand that some folks must get off work Sunday morning, but I believe it's mostly people not thinking about anyone but themselves. Whittier needs a sign posted at their pitiful docks, that states "No launching or mooring Sundays from noon until 6 PM." Things would go much smoother.

Talking Ramp rage

It is crazy at the ramp, but remember how many beginers there truly are on any given weekend. And think about all those kayakers loading or unloading on a charter that are completely oblivious to the process of the big boats, not to mention the tourists walking around at the crest of the ramp. I like to pick a limit on losing my mind about the wait, if it takes less than an hour I'm good, anything over that and I should be allowed to throw people off the dock that don't know what they are doing.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    Originally Posted by akfun
    Maybe so but unless I'm wrong, the salt water will keep the ramp clear and free of snow, does everywhere else......
    Apparently not. The deep snow in the harbor water and the frozen gravel under the water musta' kept any work from occurring........

But it's clear that there was extremely tight parking because not enough area was plowed out.

I guess the snow plowing equipment was too busy keeping Passage Canal plowed out to the Sound this winter........

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast