Thread: Peninsula Brown Bear Hunt

Default Peninsula Brown Bear Hunt

Fresh from the pennisula. Me and hunting partner Matt just returned from our Pennisula hunt where we were both successful in taking a Brown Bear. He got an excellent blondy on opening day and I got this old Boar on the 13th. I will let him post his story but will give you a run down of this boar. We actually walked in on him on the beach and got within 50 yards before spotting him. We got prepared to take him when we couldn't see him because of the impeding beach bank. So as I inched forward on my knees he decided he was coming up so there he was at 30 yards. Not sure who's eyes got BIGGER mine or his when he appeared but he stood up and I was able to get a shot off with my .340 weatherby 225 grain bullet in his right chest getting his lung. This bear was a fighter and still took off for about 1/8 mile before a neck shot finished him. He squared at 9' 1" and his skull green measured at 27 1/2 biologists guessed he was in his late teens maybe early 20's but will wait on the aging to come back to confim. The pic of the skulls are of mine and hunting partners his went 22 1/2. Was a great hunt with a great hunting partner and to include respectful hunters in the field when two different air services put us within 1/4 mile of each other. Branch River flew us in and they really took care of our needs getting into the field and also once we returned. Thanks--wish the weather would have been better but apparently we were not suppose to hunt on MOTHERS DAY this year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice adult BROWN, congratulations. The weather wasn't the best as I gather from your post, but that is why they call it hunting. All the best.

yep weather wasn't the greatest but we kinda expected the rain and some wind. But the wind hit about 50-60 MPH with the rain and that made it difficult to hunt. The rain felt like needles hitting your face so Mothers Day was a complete tent day after a few hours of glassing.

Default ok now my half of the story.

I took my bear on opening day the 10th. We watched this bear walk down the beach towards us for about a mile and a half. While we watched we both debated on whether or not it was a shooter. At the time we thought it had a rub on it's right flank. No big deal to me since i was looking for a half mount. Once we realized this bear was going to walk right into our lap despite the fact she was straight down wind and started sniffing us out at about a mile out I got set up. Steve was on a sand bank higher above me so he could get everything on video. We picked a spot on the beach to were i was going to try and take the bear to ensure it would still be on camera. Once I dropped down closer to the beach she was already closer than our designated spot no big deal though. I ranged her at 160 yards. Since she was walking right at me and would have never quartered since i was laying on the game trail she was headed to. I took the shot with my .300 RUM taking out the front shoulder and deep into the vitals. That buckled her almost over and spun her side ways. She made it 20 more yards and i got back on target and put one through the boiler room. I jacked a 3rd shell just for *****s and grins as I don't like tracking bears through alders at all, but she never took another breath once her head hit the sand. Ended up that the rub we were seeing wasn't a rub at all turned out she was an 8 foot blonde sow with a perfect coat. The way this bear walked down that beach i would have never judged it as a sow. Bio in King Salmon said she was around 10-early teens. The weather did suck but hey its the AK Pen, obviosly was still very huntable. Just had to grit our teeth and press on.
    There was one other group in the area we hunted. They got in there the day before we did ( I'm sure they were excited to see our plane land ) Nothing either of us could have done about it since we used different transporters. They were absolute gentlemen about it all, they stayed more on there side of the bay and we stayed on ours. Since they were so nice about the whole deal we hiked over and helped them carry stuff to there pick up point when we saw they were leaving. By the way if you guys are on the forum let us know. The info you gave us was a big help and we've got some beer with your name on it! Oh yeah by the way since she had such a good coat on her i'm doing a rug instead of a half mount. Was a great hunt with a great partner. Thanks again Steve for the invite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Nice work on the double up!

Great story guys, the end result makes up for the rough weather I sure. I take it the other hunters didn't get any? Ouch! Good work and sweet rewards for both of ya!

No they both tagged out the day before we left. So there shouldn't be any hard feelings.

don't need a GPS spot, but where bouts on the pen were ya? north south, gulf side, bering side??
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Wink Location; in a bay on that side of alaska!

we were in the norther part on the Shelikof Strait side.

ohh ok that one spot, near the alders?
    Master guide 212

Yep that was the exact spot good call BRWNBR.

ya i've shot several dozen bears in that same excat spot...its a good one!!
    Master guide 212

Default good pictures

Matt who does your photography? Those pictures turned out pretty good.

Congrats to both of you! Beautiful bears.

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great trip, Congrats to the both of you as well.

Nice bears guys, I took one very similar to yours matt (except the head was 23" and the hide was a little rubbed on the hind-end). That mothers day was a screamer down where we were too... holy crap, we never even left the tent except to piss. When did you guys end up comming out? We looked around for yall in KS to see how yall did. We saw a big one that would go well over 9 and maybe close to 10 the first day but it was about 400yds out and we couldnt close the distance. Every bear after that was in the 7 to 8 1/2 range and lots of dark bears, I passed on some bigger bears beacause I wanted a blonde and the wait paid off. My dad never got a bear, not that he didnt have a chance (he had plenty of chances) he just got spoiled on the first day when we saw that monster and he was holding out until he saw that one agian. Well I will post the rest of the story and pics on a new thread. Great bears guys, we shold meet up agian and tell lies about the hunt

Default Welcome back tex.

Glad to hear you guys connected with one. We came out the 14th. did you guys stay in the entire time or did ya come back early? Shoot me an email or somethin and we'll get together for some beer and lies! Get that story and pics posted!

Good stuff Tex-I will e-mail you on Tuesday and get the rest of your story and get some pics from ya. The other two hunters from the base got good bears too so will be able to send those pics to you as well. congrats on your bear.

We stayed in until the 18th trying to get my dad a bear, but getting him to pull the trigger on anything smaller than a 9ft bear was imposible. He still had a great time just wanted a big bear and didnt want to settle for anything less.

Oh Yea
    How many bears did yall see? Any wolves or caribou?

No wolves, and somewere around 13 bears.