Thread: Wood ducks in AK

Default Wood ducks in AK

I was wondering if there are wood ducks in Alaska.

I saw a bunch flying around back home in Oregon, and remembered how much I liked to hunt them, but have never seen them up here.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

I have heard rumors of people killing them out on the flats across the inlet. However, I am not sure whether those stories are true or not. I have also heard a rumor that there was a drake woodie hanging out on a pond near Juneau a few years back, which seems very plausible. Regardless, My uncle killed a drake and hen woodie in Cordova quite a few years back. Probably in the 80's. It was his first year in Alaska and he had just moved up from Georgia so it wasn't a really big deal to him until his partner saw what he shot. I believe he had the drake mounted and gave it to Fish and Game or something like that. I always thought it would be cool to raise a few and maybe put up some boxes on a few streams I know of after they get populated. They sure are one of the prettiest ducks out there, and are not bad table fare too from what I've heard.

LG,

Here in Ohio they're one of my favorite eats. Wrap a strip of bacon around a breast and throw it on the grill...mmm. I hunt a small river and at the first crack of light there are so many woodies, it's hard to pick one and aim.

I saw a pair here in Juneau two years ago. They were definatly wood ducks. Never seen any since.

I guess it is a matter of luck to see one up here. They are definetly one of the prettiest ducks around, and are excellent to eat.

One thing I miss in the spring time is hearing them squealing as they fly. And it is kinda weird to see them sitting in a tree. That is one place you really never expect to see a duck.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The best for the grill! Fileted with veg cream cheese and jalapenoes wraped in bacon. My fav for teal n woodies. good w/oysters too!