Thread: Yamaha F50 or T50 for backtrolling Kenai

Default Yamaha F50 or T50 for backtrolling Kenai

Any one have an opinion? Just ordered my boat from Deweys and plan on using it primarly on the Kenai. Dan @ Deweys says backtrolling with a high thrust is hard to do because of the torque. Any one have any first hand knowledge here. Am I better off going with the standard Yamaha 50, will I get the performance I'm looking for? The boat is 20ft long 6 ft wide and I plan on usually having at least 5 people on board. Will a bucket on a rope be able to create enough drag to hold me in the current? What about swoping out props when I no I will be backtrolling? Lots of questions, I look forward to everyone's inputs.

What about tilting up the motor so the thrust goes up a little? If you did this you would need to make sure you don't raise it too high other wise you won't get enough water to the water pump. 20 ft is a big boat and if you have 5 adults it will sit down in the water a ways which will help back trolling regardless of which 50hp you pick. Option 2 is to get a small 4 stroke kicker. If you buy one that has the same gas fitting you can run it off the same tank, just swap the hose back and forth. Just a couple of ideas for you. May be some one with more prop experience can talk about if you decrease the pitch or increase the pitch what that would do when you troll, but I think it would really monkey with your top end speed. KB

F50 will work fine for backtrolling, most everyone on the river running yamahas are running F50.If your running the T50 you'll probly need a bucket or a kicker motor.....my 2 cents

will the T50 provide a higher top end speed? what are the benefits of having the T50? According to Dan, 50 horse is 50 horse, you won't notice any speed benefit from the T50. Any one disagree?

The T50 is a 2.33 gear ratio Vs F50 1.85. Essentially the motor turns more rpms on the T50 to turn the prop so usually the T50 prop is larger diameter for a bigger "water bite".

I would think with that big a boat and typical load that the T50 is a better choice. You can always power-trim the motor up if need be to make the prop slip. Since a Yamaha 50hp 4 cycle burns only about .2 gal/hr at idle a "kicker" is just additional expense.

** Mathmatics says the T50 has to have less top-end speed, but you probably wouldn't notice it much.

Default did it once

just messing around. I have twins. Tied one up and disconnnected the other T-50 from the steering. I had a 11 pitchX 14" prop on. I think I tried back trolling, although was not fishing, just a test run. I believe it did creep up river a little, but not like really fast or anything. Nice thing with twins is that I can reach the same speed no matter what the load is. Hard telling man. I would say T-50, more because I have seen the permformance. Backtrolling-not sure 100%. I had 3 adults and 2 little kids on the boat total.

I still have that new 11 pitch prop if you buy the T-50, will make you a good deal.

Default Yamaha

Go with the F-50. All the Kenai backtrollers use that motor. The t-50 will creep upriver. I have a 20' willie and F-50. Only in low water or spots without much current do I use my 9.9 kicker. I've been with friend in a 20' with T-50 don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by dipnetter View Post
    Any one have an opinion? Just ordered my boat from Deweys and plan on using it primarly on the Kenai. Dan @ Deweys says backtrolling with a high thrust is hard to do because of the torque. Any one have any first hand knowledge here. Am I better off going with the standard Yamaha 50, will I get the performance I'm looking for? The boat is 20ft long 6 ft wide and I plan on usually having at least 5 people on board. Will a bucket on a rope be able to create enough drag to hold me in the current? What about swoping out props when I no I will be backtrolling? Lots of questions, I look forward to everyone's inputs.
    My neighbor went through this three years ago when he bought his new set up. He went with the T50 and could not be happier. He back trolls all day long with out issues. Shoot me a PM with your info and I will have him give you a call if you would like.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default T50

I have a 20' Koffler Baybee with a T50. No problem back trolling.

Thanks everyone for your response, it seems there are no easy answers to this question. What about this one. If I go with the T50, can I run the standard F50 prop when I no I will be backtrolling? This would afford me the option of using the T50 prop when I have heave loads onboard. What affect would the smaller prop have on the lower gear ratio of the T50?

You can't switch props, the T series lower unit is much bigger. Most guys with willies run a 13 pitch on the T-50's and a 11 pitch on the F-50's. But again, totally different props. (hub size and diameter and configuration)

Dipnetter, did you get the hewescraft open fisherman?

Nope, although it was my first choice, Dewey’s is out, ordered the 20ft SeaArk with center Consol. Why do you ask, any recommendations for either?

It sounded like the open fisherman. I bought one this year and had the some debate. I ended up going with the t 50. They told me I got the last open fisherman.

I try not to revive old threads but, I just bought a 20' willie with a very slight tunnel hull, the original F50 that came on it was shot when I bought it so I replaced it with a T-50 with the advice from the shop. I took it out on the lake yesterday and although it got up on plane fast, I noticed it seemed slow to react when I wanted to make sharper turns- Like one might make to avoid rocks and obstacles. would I get better maneuverability out of an F-50? the shop said they would be willing to swap it back to a f50 if I would like. Just trying to figure out I I was uphold or if the unit really is better for my boat.