Thread: early season rainbow, grayling, dolly gear

Default early season rainbow, grayling, dolly gear

I'm heading to the upper Susitna next weekend to fish some of the creeks just below devil's canyon. I was wondering what patterns you guys would recommend most for this time of year as I have not really had a chance to get out this early before, I'm thinking some articulated leaches and smolt patterns but are there any others for that particular area that might work better. Thanks in advance for your input.

Eagle River

Default Early season rainbow, grayling, dolly gear

Wow, cool trip.

I was up the Talkeetna last weekend. Smolt weren't out yet, but I'd pack smolt patterns if I was headed out.

My friends caught fish - leech patterns, including Egg Sucking Leeches, strangely enough, were working pretty well with a few rainbows and half a dozen dollies caught on them. Big (size 4 to size 2 hooks up to 6X long) and all in dark colors - maybe because the water was dirty.

I think some people fish flesh patterns -pale, washed out colors - too in Spring. Have a great trip.

I was in Kanektok two weeks ago. Smolt and eggs were working good over there. Lots of Dollys and few rainbows and couple graylings. Have a good trip