Thread: Shots?

Default Shots?

After how many shots do you clean your barrels? Do you just clean after a day of shooting? Or put it in the case and call it good till next time? With a new rifle I do the whole "breaking a barrel in" technique. After that I still clean at the range after every 5-10 shots (sometimes less). I dont shoot more than 20-40 rounds in a session though. Most of the time I spend more time cleaning. Takes even longer shooting the ol muzzleloader most of the time clean after a shot or two. Just wondering what other shooters do.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I personally don’t do any kind of barrel break in procedure as it is very rare for me to buy a “new” never before fired gun. That said, when i shoot jacketed bullets I will generally clean the rifle before the next use. For the rifles that are dedicated to lead bullets, I generally don’t bother with cleaning unless they start to get really nasty i.e. some significant leading / fouling or dirt and mud from riding around on the ATV.

My stainless Vaquero gets cleaned once a year whether it needs it or not……….. and that usually involves pulling the grips off and then dropping it in a 5 gallon bucket of diesel or jet fuel for a few days followed by a good scrubbing, rinse and lube. It just doesn’t seem to care if its clean or not, and seems to shoot fine either way. The only time cleaning it became a priority is when I shot a bunch of black powder loads out of it and it got all sticky and nasty and I didn’t want to put it in my holster like that, but it still functioned and shot just fine.

As far as rifles go, I believe excessive cleaning actually does more harm than good, especially with some of the lever guns that are most easily cleaned from the muzzle end. So when I do clean the rifles, bolt or lever, I use a chamber plug and fill the barrel with Hoppies #9 and let it stand in the corner for 3 or 4 days. It greatly cuts down on the scrubbing time with a bore brush, and eliminates the need to use harsh ammonia based solvents to remove the copper fouling. Naturally it is not nearly as fast this way, but the Hoppies #9 will dissolve all of the copper, it just takes a few days and you have to keep topping off the barrel as the solvent will gradually evaporate.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default cleaning

I did the barrel break-in (one shot, clean; 2-shots, clean; etc etc). Mine shoots good up to about 10-15 rounds, then starts to spread out a bit. So, I just clean about every 10 rounds or so. I have a "go-to" load that shoots well out of my rifle, so after I clean it I shoot that load thru a couple times, then move on to try my new loads, that way I am not shooting a new load thru a "clean" or dirty barrel.

But, my 22-250 had a prior owner and I didnt ask how he broke it in, but that thing has about 200 rounds thru it and still at half inch groups....I'm just waiting to see how long it can go without cleaning.

Works for me

bullshop junior

I any shoot cast with our top secret lubricent, and never have to clean. ever.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Default Top Secret Lubricant...

Ok...
    I'll bite.
    Is it Astroglide, or KY Jelly??
    Whaddyawhaddya...
    You sell the stuff ?
    Mark

Default ha

Quote Originally Posted by snowshooze View Post
    Ok...
    I'll bite.
    Is it Astroglide, or KY Jelly??
    Whaddyawhaddya...
    You sell the stuff ?
    Mark

thats some funny stuff right there

On my Blasers, every 100 shots or so. They foul less than any other barrel I have ever seen.

I got one of those 'bore snakes' and I run it through mine when I am through shooting weather it be one shot or ten.

Bullshopjr happens to be a youngster belonging to Dan the "Bullet Man". I recon that Dan has forgot more about cast bullets and lubes than most will ever know. His bullets have more than likely killed critters in all corners of this planet. So there is credence in what the young man says!

I'm bettin that Murphy has even used some of Dan's bullets in his custom loads.

Default props

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Bullshopjr happens to be a youngster belonging to Dan the "Bullet Man". I recon that Dan has forgot more about cast bullets and lubes than most will ever know. His bullets have more than likely killed critters in all corners of this planet. So there is credence in what the young man says!

I'm bettin that Murphy has even used some of Dan's bullets in his custom loads.

No discredit to the young man. Just playin along...I am sure the lube joke was all in good fun.

I like to throw a bore snake down mine at least evey 40 shots or so.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".