Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rigging question for Kings

Default Rigging question for Kings

I don't have any idea how to set up for kings. I've caught kings trolling when I lived in Ketchikan, but never been river fishing for them. I've seen several different rigs but I've never cured eggs, rigged a spin and glo, or any of that stuff. Rmiller hit on a good point with a thread regarding helping out new guys.

If anyone would care to give a breakdown of how they set up and fish their rigs, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,
    Jamie
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

You can make an egg loop/spin-n-glow rig by using a snell knot. Check out this web site, which demonstrates clearly how to tie a snell knot. To turn a sall knot/egg loop into a spin-n-glow rig just add a bead, then spin-n-glow, then another bead.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

All I use is a single hook with an egg loop leader, a small red or orange corky, a piece of yarn under the egg loop, and a slip sinker on the main line above the swivel. How much weight depends on the current. I have caught many Kings drifting these. GOOD LUCK!

Default typical hardly

This what I will most likely have on my lines this year.

The first rig is a simple spin-n-glow with @ a 28" leader and double hooks. If I venture down to Willow creek where I will fish in a crowd and/or get into a lot of fish I may use a larger single hook. I typically use double 3/0 or 4/0 hooks or single 4/0 or 5/0 hooks. This year I am going to give 6/0 hooks a try.

Spin-n-glows are the only lure I use for bank fishing rivers. I only use them unbaited because I fish rivers that have bait bans. Even when I could use bait years ago I usually fished them plain just to avoid the mess of bait.

I use spin-n-glows at Sheep creek where the river is hardly moving by realing in slowly just fast enough to make the wings spin. Any river that has current I drift with just enough weight to keep the rig on bottom with a steady drift downstream.

If I fish the Homer spit pond I use bait under a bobber or a Vibrax. I may even use a pixie there as I have caught a few kings there on pixies. I will typically use whatever everyone else is NOT using. I find bait under a bobber works well in the mornings and if there are enough fish that when the water is moving with the tide flow that a lure is best. I have caught fish there in any weather conditions could be hot and mid-day or blowing hard in the rain. I have had times where everyone is not getting bites on bait so I catch them on a Vibrax or Pixie. I almost always go to the Vibrax as a first lure but I make sure to give the pixie a try if the Vibrax does not produce. I have caught Kings using Kwikfish in the Spit Pond also. I went there one day and tried snagging them for a couple hours while the pond was open for snagging. All I did was mess up one of my reels. I took a couple hour break and waited until 11 pm when it started to get dark. In about two hours I caught 8 kings on the Kwikfish by casting only about 20 feet from shore and making sure the lures were very shallow.

Many years ago I always made annual trips to the Spit Pond and could catch a few there before the Kings were even in the rivers yet. Labor day weekend was usually the last weekend that I would go there. I would start one or two weekends before Labor day. If Labor Day was at the very end of the month I would fish the local rivers here. I used the 15th as a start date. If the 15th fell on the weekend I would wait until the following weekend but if the Saturday was the 16th or later I was good to go.

The other three rigs in the pics are what I use out of a boat either backtrolling or anchored up. Backtrolling is the best technique as more of the river can be explored. The last couple years I have not done much backtrolling because I did not have a rowing system set up in my boat. I did pick up a couple Kings using the motor to backtroll. We got most of them anchored and waiting for the fish to come to us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I mostly fish willow and montana but for the last two years the hot setup for me has been 1-2 medium metallic blue corkies and some green yarn. I hear it changes every year but with those colors i dont think you can go wrong. I avoid the spin'n'glos because they like to spin in other peoples lines while fishing the combat zone. Oh and 4/0 and 5/0 hooks seem about right.

Default Rigging

I have some tutorials on my web at http://www.alaskanfishguides.com, click on Fishing Tips and Turorials, where you can see different ways to rig for back trolling, back bouncing, and drifting using SNG or Kwikfish.

Very generally speaking, regarding rigging, for faster water, use shorter leaders and slower water, use longer. Use beefy leader material, even heavier than your main line. I know that sound contrary to most any other kind of fishing, but between the abrasion of the river and the massive teeth, your leader will take a beating. Even with 50# leader and only 30# main line, it is rare to have a main line break.

For bait cure, a great place to start is to follow the manufacturer's recommendations on most any commercial cure and get that going really good, and then start to tinker. There are a variety of home cures that work very good and can be found by doing a simple search of this forum. Personally (and professionally) I am using a commercial cure.
    Also on my site in the Fishing News section, you can find an article, just published today, that features 10 ways to catch more salmon (you may have to look for the link at the bottom of the new page to find the article if others articles have been published since this post).

I hope you find that helpful. Enjoy

Thanks Fellas,

I appreciate the responses. I think it's gonna take a few years to get this worked out. I'm heading to the Kasilof Sunday to see if I can work up a fish.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

A little bit about what size or color S-N-G to use.

My go to Spin-N-Glo is a #2 Flame/Chartruese. I believe this one can catch a King anywhere any conditions.

I find it boring to do the same ol same ol so I vary what I use.

Sometimes I throw the big size 0 Spin-N-Glo or use a crazy color.

--

In clear water have to admit I have not done much daytime fishing. The only clear streams that I have fished are Montana creek, Caswell creek and sunshine creek.

I have only done well at these streams immidiately after the midnight opener and only for 4-6 hours. Most likely I just use the #2 F/C S-N-G. I am looking for a drifter that is bright and mid sized. The fish have no problem seeing the lure so I dont feel I need to use the very largest size.

--

In the Kasilof I have done well on pastel colors like lime green and pastel orange. I also like purple, frog green and black. Solid red also has done well there.

I have not fished the Kenia many times for Kings. I have caught two from shore on #4 Vibraxes and two out of a boat, one on a silver K15 kwik-fish and another on a #0 red spin-n-glo with a giant gob of eggs.

--

late 80's I had caught Kings at Willow creek on every, known to me, color of Spin-N-Glo except one. I never caught a King on a Black bodied/Black winged S-N-G.

The ones I used for Kings at Willow are typically the patterns I use anywhere.

If the water is extra clear I may use mostly #2 and #4 I will more often use purple, black and frog green or other dark colors. If it is overcast I may use some bright colors too. I also use more #0 's here than anywhere else. I bet I have caught a third of my Willow kings on #0's.

Sometimes mid day when the sky is bright I have done well on metallic sng's.

Many times I will pick something different from what everyone else is using. If too many people around me are using Chartruse I will use orange. Or if no one is using metallic then I will use a metallic one.

The most important factor is not nesseccarily the lure but the presentation.

I have heard many complaints from people who are fishing right next to me. Usually I find that if they are not getting fish that usually there lure is not in the zone or even in the water most of the time. If I get into fish it will take about two fish on before everyone near me or my friends are all using the same thing I am. I have found it hard to tell people that the main reason that I catch more fish is because my lure is in front of fish and not tied to someone elses gear every other minute.

I get tangled just like everyone else but if I get tangled 2 times out of ten casts and someone near me is getting tangled up half the time, then if a king on takes 30 casts I can have a King on after 2 hours fishing but the guy next to me with have to fish for 3 hours per hook up.

--

Sheep Creek I like to use a #0 with a dark body or bright. Like solid red, orange,black, purple or frog green.

--

Little su can have many water conditions and I the colors like Willow creek.

My dad uses one lure for the Little su. The #4 Flame chartruese with two 3/0 hooks. He has caught many Kings there on that rig.

Hope this helps.

All good advice.

Just want to add that I used to love throwing Magwarts at chinooks. My fav was always the glo-green. I always changed out the wimpy factory hooks and hit the glo-warts with a camera flash at the butt-crack-o-dawn. In big rivers, a side-planer will work great with these to work the seams, just give it at least 20 feet to work with.

I was bummed when I moved to Juneau b/c nobody sells these, or even corkies for that matter But the small water here is great for flyfishing so I can't complain

RMiller:

How the heck can you remember all those colors? Wow! I think I have a headache I'll stick with yer dad's rig!

I forgot to mention that Pink is one of the best colors for Kings and silvers.

I have also caught a few kings on glow in the dark Spin-N-Glo too.

This year I am going to try to catch a King on a size 00 Spin-N-Glo, That is one I have only tried a couple times.

Default smallies

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post

This year I am going to try to catch a King on a size 00 Spin-N-Glo, That is one I have only tried a couple times.
    Some of my biggest kings on the Kenai are with the smallest spin-n-glo's.

Good tip. It all really depends on where the fish are in the water column. The SNG is simply a float with flashy wings. The larger body 'glos will float highter up in the water than the smaller.

Bad idea to use a small SNG when drifting or dragging because they will likely hook the bottom much more.

Good luck

Default The absolute best

That ALWAYS works for me is the old stand by flash banger! Just pull the pin, let the spoon fly and drop 'er in....wait about 5 seconds and the kings will start floating to the surface....you gotta make sure that you round 'em up before the shock wears off...That is the absolute guaranteed best way to get your limit every time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Some of my biggest kings on the Kenai are with the smallest spin-n-glo's.

Good tip. It all really depends on where the fish are in the water column. The SNG is simply a float with flashy wings. The larger body 'glos will float highter up in the water than the smaller.

Bad idea to use a small SNG when drifting or dragging because they will likely hook the bottom much more.

Good luck
    Just dont float a number 6 with a 6/0 hook

I prefer the white winged ones.

I am insulted you call a spin-n-glo just a float. It is an entire fishing system. I use a plain Spin-n-glo with no yarn and no bait. The S-N-G does it all. Sometimes I think I am the last fan of the S-N-G. Most stores dont even have a very good selection of them.

One time at Willow creek I caught a king and kept it and decided I was going to give trout fishing a try. It was early in the year and I fished about 4 hours to get one king. I think I saw about 3 caught that trip. I took and rigged up about a 3/8 " spin-n-glo and used a tiny treble hook, a couple casts with that and I hooked about a 10 pound King. I thought my buddy I was fishing with was going to hit me.

Cool OOps

Just dont float a number 6 with a 6/0 hook

I prefer the white winged ones.

I am insulted you call a spin-n-glo just a float. It is an entire fishing system. I use a plain Spin-n-glo with no yarn and no bait. The S-N-G does it all. Sometimes I think I am the last fan of the S-N-G. Most stores dont even have a very good selection of them.

One time at Willow creek I caught a king and kept it and decided I was going to give trout fishing a try. It was early in the year and I fished about 4 hours to get one king. I think I saw about 3 caught that trip. I took and rigged up about a 3/8 " spin-n-glo and used a tiny treble hook, a couple casts with that and I hooked about a 10 pound King. I thought my buddy I was fishing with was going to hit me.

Didn't mean an offense. I am sure that the reason you caught that king was only partially the SNG but more likely the superior skill in the presentation and fishing prowess!!!

As a matter of fact, I too have caught many kings on the Kenai and Kasilof with a mere, bare sng, no yarn, skirt, bead, or whatever... so, indeed it can be a complete system.

Nevertheless, particularly when fishing bait, I believe that the greatest benefit is in the floatation.

Didn't mean an offense. I am sure that the reason you caught that king was only partially the SNG but more likely the superior skill in the presentation and fishing prowess!!!

I wish.

I still show up at the river hoping I dont get skunked.

As much as I like to share info I do it to help others and not to brag. I hope that the more I help others to catch fish that the fish gods will see fit to throw me a bone or two.

I have even recently fished with relatives who get their fish quickly and wait a couple hours for me to try to get one too.

Default So, Mr. Miller...

Spin-n-glows are the only lure I use for bank fishing rivers. I only use them unbaited because I fish rivers that have bait bans. Even when I could use bait years ago I usually fished them plain just to avoid the mess of bait.
    ... do you let your spin n' glow set near the bottom with a weight, or are you casting and retrieving? Specifically, what are you doing on the Kasilof?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... do you let your spin n' glow set near the bottom with a weight, or are you casting and retrieving? Specifically, what are you doing on the Kasilof?
    I like to drift them just like anywhere else, except for one thing that I remember doing only at the Kasilof was to use just a little heavier than normal weight and when the rig drifted in to shore and stopped to let it sit there for a while rather than just reel it up for another cast. One spot I specifically remember making short casts and letting the rig sit anchored on the bottom .

One time at the Kasilof I took a rubber yellow inflatable raft and using a stick I rowed across the river and tied up to one of the big boulders. Then I put on a S-N-G behind a jet diver and let it soak. I did get a King.

All this talk of King fishing I predict someone will be catching Kings this weekend out of the Kasilof and Homer Spit pond.

Default Thanks Miller

I was thinking of casting out a rig with a pyramid sinker, spin n' glow, and eggs, and letting it soak, but maybe Ill try the casting technique. I've got an old side planer around somewhere, I was thinking of using, but a side planer along with a diver and a kwickfish or spin n' glow sounds like a whole lot of apparatus to have to fight a fish with.

I would definately give the pyramid sinker a try. Maybe just find a spot with enough room to not have to go with the flow of other anglers. I used to fish mostly in the middle section of river down from the mouth of kroto creek. Right at the mouth there is a large hole that everyone and his brother fishes but walking down river about 300-400 yards the river is kinda shallow and doesnt really have much of a eddy looking appearance to it. It is in the shallow section that we usually fished. There were always less people because the water did not look as productive. Go to the least crowded section where you actually see somebody get one and try there. Leave the crowded spots to the crowds.

Using the pyramid and letting the bait soak is a good idea to try.

As far as drifting I use enough weight to let the line drift at a steady slow pace. It should be enough weight that it does stop now and then. The weight must constantly bounce on the bottom but if it never stops now and then I will add a little more weight especially in an offcolored river like the Kasilof..

A little bit about what size or color S-N-G to use.

My go to Spin-N-Glo is a #2 Flame/Chartruese. I believe this one can catch a King anywhere any conditions.
    Do you have a picture of this? All of these colors and types of lures confuse me because Ive never used them.

what's the other one...Wiggle wart...HA!! I love the name.

Thanks (again and again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast