Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1000 spotting scope

Default $1000 spotting scope

I have $1000.00 to spend on a spotting scope. Which one should I buy and why?

I have the same budget and now have a deposit down at boondocks for a Pentax PF65EDII with a zoom eyepiece. Very nice scope and you will still be able to get a tripod without busting your 1K budget.

Default Leica (demo)

Bought a Leica demo from Doug at cameraland awhile back. I am so very impressed with the clarity, magnification, price, and durability. Suits me perfectly. Blows my Leupold Goldring out of the water.

Is 1k about what one needs to pay to get a good scope? Whew, I was hoping to get one for $600 to $800 but I dont want a cheapo. If this is what they are going for then I better save a bit more...

Packer, Doug @ Cameraland has the Pentax 65 with zoom for around 540.00 or so. Thats great glass at a great price.
    Drop Snyd here an email for a real world breakdown of that fine scope-he has one and knows it well, or check the archives, probably some good comments there too...

This might be the scope for me then. I have always liked the Leica stuff but ouch, they are costly.

fullkurl: if you are quoting directly off the website the 549 is BODY ONLY! Snyd purchased a different eye piece from another manufacture since the pentax takes standard telescope eye pieces. I purchased the angled scope with the pentax zoom. It is advertised at 850 on the cameralandny site but Doug often cuts GREAT deals. I purchased mine locally and boondocks gave me a VERY competitive price, plus I like supporting smaller local guys as long as Doug doesn't beat their price by tooooo much

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Packer, Doug @ Cameraland has the Pentax 65 with zoom for around 540.00 or so. Thats great glass at a great price.
    Drop Snyd here an email for a real world breakdown of that fine scope-he has one and knows it well, or check the archives, probably some good comments there too...
    Couple of threads (not too much info on the first couple but maybe a help to you):

Pentax Spotters

Pentax PF65EDII

Compact Spotting Scope Comparison

Pentax Spotter Forum

Spotting Scope... Leupold HD and Pentax 65EDII

WO 22.5-7.5mm Zoom II on PF65 EDA II

That should get you some good info. And yes, Snyd is the guy to talk to about this from what I'm seeing...Hope that helps.

Default Go with Cameraland and get the best

Doug and Neil have been working with me to purchase a Zeiss 85Fl + zoom eyepiece. It is a demo but the price is right and they do layaways.

If you want a Leica get a demo and pay of the rest when you can. Do it right at the beginning and you spend less in the long run.

Sincerely,

Thomas

That Diascope 85 is my all time favorite spotter, but it is big and it is heavy thats the only reason I dont have one. I would say that if $1000 is what you want to spend that one of the Rubber Armored Leica Televid 62's that Doug has on Demo for $999 is the only way to go. Its a great spotter at an unbelievable price and Doug is the best to do business with!

Default Ditto

what AkCUB said. I just bought the Leica televid 62 demo from Doug. Very impressed. Can't wait to get it out in the mountains. Don't think you can go wrong with one.

northway you get the angled or straight?
    happy spotting

Default straight

Ex,

I bought the straight. I guess i just don't like the angled. Just personal preference I guess. I have never owned such a quality piece of glass. I have upgraded all my glass now. I have a set of Pentax binocs, Leica spotter and leupolds on the rifles. I am good to go for a LONG time!

I also bought the Pentax binocs from Doug at cameraland. They were refurbished and got them for a little over $500. I think they were 800-900 binocs new. I was VERY pleased with the glass.

The Pentax zoom compared to the Leica zoom is challenging. I compared the Pentax 80mm, 100mm and the Leica APO side-by-side. The Leica is darker at high mag due to the smaller eyepiece, but the resolution never changes: it's razor sharp. The Pentax is not as fine in terms of resolution across the view: at the edges you may see some small distortion, to get the best of the view you need to move the object near the center, but due to the 25mm eyepiece, it is bright and easy to make out what you are viewing.

I tried both the 80mm and 100mm Pentax, and was really impressed with both of them. Unfortunately, the 100mm requires a strong tripod and head which will push the carrying weight over into the semi-mobile category. Even a small breeze will set the scope wiggling around. I do wildlife surveys along the Kuskokwim, and due to the wind, went with the 80mm Pentax.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    fullkurl: if you are quoting directly off the website the 549 is BODY ONLY! Snyd purchased a different eye piece from another manufacture since the pentax takes standard telescope eye pieces. I purchased the angled scope with the pentax zoom. It is advertised at 850 on the cameralandny site but Doug often cuts GREAT deals. I purchased mine locally and boondocks gave me a VERY competitive price, plus I like supporting smaller local guys as long as Doug doesn't beat their price by tooooo much
    Lujon, I could swear that I got an email from Doug @ Cameraland with the NRA show specials featuring the Pentax 65 with zoom for 539.00. I deleted the email though.
    I've seen them on ebay with zoom for $549 with zoom...and I thought they were Doug's. I'll look into it before I eat too much crow....

He still has the PF65 ED's for $549 just not the ED II's. Heres the link

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/p...pl?page=pf65ed

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    He still has the PF65 ED's for $549 just not the ED II's. Heres the link

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/p...pl?page=pf65ed
    Yep! That would be it!
    Kill'er deal too.
    Thanks, Cub.

Is the Pentax PF65ED II available in 20x-60x? I talked with Neil from Camera Land this morning and he said that it is only a 15x-45x? Is that just because that's what they have? Because on Pentax's Web-Site it shows a number of different options. If it is only available in 15x-45x, am I correct in assuming that 15x-45x is a little on the week side for sheep?

Thanks for the help, still trying to figure out the spotting scope world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter13 View Post
    Is the Pentax PF65ED II available in 20x-60x? I talked with Neil from Camera Land this morning and he said that it is only a 15x-45x? Is that just because that's what they have? Because on Pentax's Web-Site it shows a number of different options. If it is only available in 15x-45x, am I correct in assuming that 15x-45x is a little on the week side for sheep?

Thanks for the help, still trying to figure out the spotting scope world.
    The bundled zoom with the PF65ED II scopes is the XF zoom which gives 20-60X. It accepts standard 1.25 inch Astro eyepieces of which there are hundreds you can choose from.

Even so, 45x is not really on the weak side for sheep. There are so many variables involved. At times you may not be able to use any more than 20X no matter what kind of a scope you have. 60x is pushing it for any 65mm scope. The more magnification the larger the objective lens you want to allow in more light.

The only other 65mm scope that I know of that is 20-60 is the swaro. The zeiss zoom on the 65mm scopes is 45x. 60 x on the 85mm since that have a longer focal length than the 65.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Thanks for the reply, Snyd. Thanks for the info. I called Neil back and got things clarified better and I now have the Pentax 65 on the way! I figured if you guys are recommending it, it must be good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast