Thread: Chickens???

Default Chickens???

Ok I know the smaller butts are called "chickens" but what I want to know is ---How did that term originate ???

I asked Captain Gary in Homer that question yesterday. He said the origin was that they are small and tender. I guess it depends on how often you catch big halibut, but I guess any halibut under 25# is a chicken. I caught a couple of chickens yesterday and they are delicious and tender.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

i am like a alot of people here, not sure where it came from. i only keep fish under the 60 # range, for 2 reasons. 1 they taste better,2 all the large halibut are females, and if everyone keeps removing them from the stock eventually the will not be able to reproduce. on catching a large butt i remove the hook if i can if not i cut the leader close to the hook. i have caught fish that have broken line off and still had hook weight and alot of line still attached to them. so just a hook should not hurt them. eventually it will fall out but i would rather leave the large halibut in the breeding population so that i have more halibut to catch. its my opinion but it is shared by alot of charter captains who are looking out of the future of alaska and our childrens children.large fish are ok eating but they are not as tender they have very large flakes in the meat and usually have worms in the meat.a large female can produce 100,000 halibut if you take her out that one fish cant produce any little ones. just my toughts. jeff

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by akfun View Post
    i am like a alot of people here, not sure where it came from. i only keep fish under the 60 # range, for 2 reasons. 1 they taste better,2 all the large halibut are females, and if everyone keeps removing them from the stock eventually the will not be able to reproduce. on catching a large butt i remove the hook if i can if not i cut the leader close to the hook. i have caught fish that have broken line off and still had hook weight and alot of line still attached to them. so just a hook should not hurt them. eventually it will fall out but i would rather leave the large halibut in the breeding population so that i have more halibut to catch. its my opinion but it is shared by alot of charter captains who are looking out of the future of alaska and our childrens children.large fish are ok eating but they are not as tender they have very large flakes in the meat and usually have worms in the meat.a large female can produce 100,000 halibut if you take her out that one fish cant produce any little ones. just my toughts. jeff
    With rare exceptions, all a really big killed halibut is good for is a picture.
    Chickens are the best eating, no doubt.
    Halibut are hardy fish and can be released from a circle hook with much lower mortality than most fish.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ...all a really big killed halibut is good for is a picture.
    I couldn't agree more!
    That's why you will never see me standing next to a poser fish...they need not be destroyed for a stink'n photo opp.
    I too release if it's over 60 -75 lbs. for the same reasons as shared above...we need the breeders, and the quality of meat goes down hill the larger they are...and I hate WORMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Hog View Post
    I couldn't agree more!
    That's why you will never see me standing next to a poser fish...they need not be destroyed for a stink'n photo opp.
    I too release if it's over 60 -75 lbs. for the same reasons as shared above...we need the breeders, and the quality of meat goes down hill the larger they are...and I hate WORMS.
    Let me know when you get the commercial guys to adopt that philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
    Let me know when you get the commercial guys to adopt that philosophy.
    Ya, I know...

And even some of the commercial guide service folks....no offense! ...it's a business...right?

Too many big butts killed just because of the derby!!
    Time for a C&R derby, NO?

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer Hog View Post
    Ya, I know...

And even some of the commercial guide service folks....no offense! ...it's a business...right?
    One of these days, the State of Alaska is going to realize how much more money halibut and salmon are worth to the economy as sportfish than they are as a commercial comodity. When they drop the limit on halibut to one, that reality is going to become real obvious.

The thing that really galls me is even after the IPHC raised the commercial catch, the comms still want to reduce the sportfish catch to one. 85% of the resource isn't enough, they want it all!

Default increase?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The thing that really galls me is even after the IPHC raised the commercial catch, the comms still want to reduce the sportfish catch to one. 85% of the resource isn't enough, they want it all!
    I didn't look at the westward or Bering Sea catch limits and the change from '07 (which are somewhat independent of SE and SC AK)...where did they increase the catch?

Overall, the catch limits went down.

Default Origins...

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    Ok I know the smaller butts are called "chickens" but what I want to know is ---How did that term originate ???
    This was a good question. I researched it, and could not find the answer.
    In searching, it was interesting to discover that the term "chickens" had been used in the commercial industry for well over a century, particularly on the Atlantic side.

Fisherman nearly depleted that industry, and as result what was left was the doryman hauling in the smaller fish that was referred to by that same name.

My guess is that a hundred years ago the oils used in frying might have come from boiled-down whale blubber, and that a lot of animials and fish were fried in it. Pullets reproduce pretty fast, chicken was a popular bill-of-fare, and once the cook dropped some halibut chips into the used grease that fried the birds, it came out tasting like (you guessed it) "chicken".

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Red face New Englander answer

Back home in Rhode Island, and all New England for that matter, smaller lobster (@ 1.25 pounds) are called chickens too! It is based on the lobsters minimum "market" size. Smaller (younger) is tastier and more prized. Maybe the same justification for a chicken butt?

Heck I have caught some small butts. I like to call the really small ones ping pong paddles
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Heck I have caught some small butts. I like to call the really small ones ping pong paddles
    AKA Dinner for one!